PDA

View Full Version : CNS/ATM implementation

JamesPT
25th Mar 2012, 20:08
The future of CNS/ATM is looking good.

CPDLC will improve comms, RNAV and GNSS will be great for navigation and ADS should improve surveillance. As far as I can see the benefits are going to be massive. More safety, more capacity in busy airspace and more direct flight (which alone brings a whole heap of benefits like lower fuel burn and less emissions....)

But does anyone have any reservations about all this new technology?

For an explanation of CNS/ATM: SKYbrary - CNS/ATM (http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/CNS/ATM)

For a blog on FANS: Future Air Navigation Systems (http://www.futureairnavigationsystems.com)

J

Spitoon
26th Mar 2012, 04:25
A very wide - and potentially important topic.

But what is the purpose of your question?

JamesPT
26th Mar 2012, 10:17
Just wanted to start a discussion really.

These are some of the biggest changes for 50 years, yet there isn't currently a FANS thread on this forum..

Sir George Cayley
26th Mar 2012, 20:36
But it will mean big spending on equipment. And if everything does come to pass what about older a/c without the kit? Will they be barred from participating?

CAA has some info in the DAP section

SGC

JamesPT
27th Mar 2012, 13:00
New kit will be needed, but there's the positive side that costly ground infrastructure won't be needed, so it will open up access to unequipped airports at very little cost. For larger airports it will provide a backup to ILS. In Europe, I think the EGNOS system (which augments the American GPS signal, making it accurate enough to navigate from) will be chargeable for aviation users though, so swings and roundabouts.

The biggest winners will be ANSPs, the european SESAR scheme hopes to reduce ATM costs by 50% with the introduction of new CNS/ATM techniques, but will this cost saving be reflected in their charges? Theres a thought that landing fees might be lower for satellite approaches because the user won't be using costly ground equipment (links to my previous point).

I guess over time unequipped aircraft will be become rarer. At the moment, some aircraft on transatlantic routes receive clearances via CPDLC, and automatically make position reports using ADS-C. But unequipped aircraft continue to communicate using voice.

Personally I think its great, as long as its backed up by adequate training

J