PDA

View Full Version : Floats on a Grand Caravan

ricardo_ferreira
23rd Mar 2012, 18:12
Hi guys

Does anyone know a company that has the STC to modify a normal Cessna 208B (Grand Caravan) with or without pods, into an amphibian one?

Thanks in advance :ok:

flyboyike
23rd Mar 2012, 19:19
Cessna Caravan (http://www.wipaire.com/myaircraft/cessna/208/index.php)

werbil
23rd Mar 2012, 20:49
At the moment no, but the new 8750 floats being developed by Wipaire possibly will be.

ricardo_ferreira
24th Mar 2012, 17:09
I spoke with Wipaire and they told me that they are 1 year away from doing those modifications on a Grand Caravan...
I know that someone has the STC to do those modifications since there are a few flying around with floats but so far, no joy.
Also contacted Kenmoreair and I'm waiting for their reply

Thank you all for your help

The Range
24th Mar 2012, 20:34
Ricardo,
Where are you planning on flying that plane?

werbil
24th Mar 2012, 22:10
I haven't heard of Grands being certified on floats - and to be honest I'd be a bit surprised if the 8000 Wips could be. The 8000's don't have an abundance of bouyancy aft - even on a short Caravan you often get wet feet loading guests when approaching gross - on a grand with the door further aft the question would be how far up your body would the water get. My suggestion is that if you can find a grand on floats call the owner and ask.

One of the features that Wip is talking about with the 8750s is more buoyancy aft - I suspect this was added as much as anything else to allow the floats to be certified on the grand.

Also, I don't believe that pods have been certified for operation with floats either. There is a huge amount of volume in the float lockers, however the opening size is limiting for large items and some water always gets in.

ricardo_ferreira
25th Mar 2012, 11:23
For what i understand, wipaire is working on the stc for the Grand Caravan and most likely they'll use the wipline 8750. I got the information that there is Grands with floats but after doing a lot of research, my guess is that whoever saw that airplane, assumed it was a 208B when in reality it was a 208. I spoke with a guy from Kenmoreair and he told me that there is no one around with an STC for the Grand and the only company working on that project is wipaire.
Thank you all for your help :ok:

rigpiggy
25th Mar 2012, 16:56
It's a pig without floats, I wouldn't even think of it unless it has the texasturbines or the blackhawk -42 conversion. Only problem with this is you'd lose your IFR cert for pax for hire.

pa12 pilot
25th Mar 2012, 18:05
You can search STCs here: http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgSTC.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

ricardo_ferreira
25th Mar 2012, 22:23
Thank you all for your comments :ok: