PDA

View Full Version : 1:1M chart for all of the UK

peterh337
23rd Mar 2012, 11:56
This (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Transair-UK-and-Ireland-11-000-000-VFR-chart+6903) is rather interesting.

piperarcher
23rd Mar 2012, 12:59
Looks good :-) I got this via email from TransAir this morning. Whenever I plan a decent length route in the OK, I am always having to practise origami and fold my 1:500,000 chart up in ways that I can flip it over during flight. Just the other day I was thinking why wasnt there a 1:1000,000 chart.

achimha
23rd Mar 2012, 13:03
Would this considered to be sufficient during a ramp check? I like the idea of only having to buy one map for the whole of the UK.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Mar 2012, 13:23
I'd have thought so.

I could easily go for this + a 1:250,000 of my local area if it's any good.

I want to go and look at one first however.

It should also be great to go on the wall.

G

Cusco
23rd Mar 2012, 14:08
Just tried to order one to stick on my wall: (Might even use it inthe cockpit ;) )

If it's half as good as the French Cartabossy stuff I'm happy.

Nice Transair lady said they're not ready till mid April.............

stickandrudderman
23rd Mar 2012, 19:15
About time!:D:D

chrisN
23rd Mar 2012, 22:53
It misses out lots of gliding sites and their cable warnings. With only 368 (?) airfields depicted, that was inevitable.

I wonder how many other hazards it misses.

Stand by for lots of people doing flight planning with this infringing various things, and one day perhaps having a real nasty.

(I have seen airprox reports of aircraft just missing gliders and cable though not using the 1:500,000 official chart. As well as people who ignore the chart even if they have the right one. I just don’t think it is a good idea to plan to use data which misses such things.)

Chris N.

jez d
24th Mar 2012, 09:53
Agree with Chris. It definitely isn't a standalone chart.

Cusco
24th Mar 2012, 10:31
Have you seen one? Allegedly they're not available till mid April, so how does everybody know all these details?

Or have they sent out 'review' copies?

C.

peterh337
24th Mar 2012, 12:01
There are pics on the Transair website. They are hard to see but the chart looks like the French 1:500k Cartabossy one, in style.

betterfromabove
24th Mar 2012, 12:42
They have an equivalent one in France and from what I've seen it's mainly nice wallpaper in the clubhouse for working out fly-away destinations trying to avoid the major no-go areas. Don't think anyone would do serious flight planning, let alone fly, with it.

If you ask me, the problem in the UK, especially the SE, is a large part of the GA population could learn to make more use of the 1:250K, rather than worrying around the super-scale that misses all sorts of vital information.....

FullWings
24th Mar 2012, 13:06
Initially, I thought "hey, what a good idea" but after a quick look at the 1/2m, with important details stuffed in really tightly, I can't see how you'd get the information needed without getting rid of some of it and there isn't much you could safely ditch on the half-mill.

OK in places like Africa and Australia - hell, on the 2m you still get large expanses of nothing. In the UK with our crowded and complicated airspace, probably wouldn't work so well.

Anyway paper maps are so last week... Just pinch to zoom in and out, simples!

24th Mar 2012, 13:25
I use the French version of this map on a regular basis.

It's valid up to FL125.
Class E space not shown, makes it easier to read.
Many information (frequencies, avgas availability, rh or lh circuits, etc.)
Microlight fields are shown (other French maps don't show them).
Some hazards are not shown, such as aerobatics zones.