PDA

View Full Version : Dunsfold Aerodrome experience

Airbusboy
20th Mar 2012, 17:11
I visited Dunsfold airfield on Monday, in a PA28, Just after we landed and parked, a Citation 525 landed behind us. We spoke to the friendly pilot of the CJ and he was happy to show us around the aircraft and take a few photos. As the fuel truck arrived to refuel the jet, we were told that taking photos was forbidden on site and we had to go and report to Control and pay the landing fees. When we went to pay the landing fees, security had notified that we had taken some photos and we were told no photography was allowed on private property? Really? There's nothing to hide? I've seen most of it on TopGear.

They seemed really hostile about the whole thing and clearly GA visitors don't seem to be welcome. ATC was really helpful and did sound friendly however.
Oh btw I took some photos so.. :ok:

Pictures by airbusboy - Photobucket (http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u466/airbusboy/)

AdamFrisch
20th Mar 2012, 19:56
There is no restriction on taking photographs of private property if on public land or other private property with permission. But they have to clearly state so as you enter. Did they?

Also, standing in the opening of the CJ, you could photograph the whole of Dunsfold as you're now on someone else's private property with permission;)

As a cinematographer, the whole thing drives me crazy. I remember being chased by a security guard on Canada Square in the Docklands demanding me to erase a photograph of my friends bicycle on the count that the HSBC building could be seen in the background. When I refused and asked him to send for the police to sort it out, he backed down. It is private property and they can demand whatever they want, but then they have to clearly state that no photography can take place, which they don't. The copyright laws of photography are pretty iron clad, nobody can make you erase an image. They can demand you not to use it, but not erase it.

G-Atlast
20th Mar 2012, 20:05
Just for interest, what was the landing fee for your PA28? I often see Dunsfold while passing and have considered a visit.

Airbusboy
20th Mar 2012, 20:39
Adam, they had not advised us before landing about no photography, and I couldn't see it on the website and lol you're right, technically taking photos from the CJ should not have been a problem!

G-Atlas, the landing fee was £25.

chevvron
20th Mar 2012, 23:18
G-Atlast: Don't forget Dunsfold is strictly PPR as the runway is often closed to allow non-aviation activities, however there is a possibility of it being available to anyone on a saturday in late April or early May for controller training purposes.

silverknapper
21st Mar 2012, 02:04
I have operated in and out of Dunsfold a lot and never once had any issues. Indeed I would say they are most welcoming to GA and Larry has always gone out of his way to go above and beyond the basics.

I've taken a few pics and never been challenged. But you are on private property, would it not be polite to ask first?

Really this post is a non issue. Maybe of more relevance to professional photographers rumour network surely? Not sure what it has to do with flying.

avturboy
21st Mar 2012, 08:09
Silveknapper "Really this post is a non issue. Maybe of more relevance to professional photographers rumour network surely? Not sure what it has to do with flying."

From what I have seen myself I would say that a great many folks do take photographs while on their travels so could easily find themselves the wrong side of this issue, therefore I would see this as quite a topical subject.

yates
21st Mar 2012, 19:33
It's common courtesy to ask if it would be OK to take photos on private land, especially if you know that the facility is a site which hosts activities which may attract public attention or, "motor racing testing" as is quite clearly stated on the owners website.

There are common sense bounderies to be followed.
I'm sure that you're not one of them, but there are photographers who go to extreme lengths to get pic's of R + D products under test and they get handsomely paid if the pictures are published in Auto Express, ClackerValve Monthly or similar saddo's mag's.

Sir George Cayley
21st Mar 2012, 20:43
You can see everything from the aerial shots. Makes a mockery of the jobs worth.

SGC