PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen Data

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2012, 11:40
I'm having a spot of bother with Jepp nav data.
See if you can spot the error!

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/fWjCiOf3baoouazMTm8-gkrNK9Jl-3uBFKx1H__WEro?feat=directlink

Duchess_Driver
20th Mar 2012, 13:48
Super.... wouldn't you want that for real?

WSE had problems with Jepp Data for Garmin handheld stuff recently.

When you gonna take me up in TE?

DD

peterh337
20th Mar 2012, 14:37
You mean Class A is not shown?

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2012, 14:50
Indeed Peter, class A absent!

DD: When I can get everything working to my satisfaction, including satisfactory navigation data......

peterh337
20th Mar 2012, 14:55
Class A has been missing from the standard Jepp GPS databases for many years.

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2012, 15:29

Astonishing!:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

piperarcher
20th Mar 2012, 16:25
Is the class A just not shown for certain Jeppesen products ? I believe the Garmin GNS430 uses Jeppesen data and I am fairly sure it shows the class A around Heathrow, and it displays airspace ahead alerts (might be wrong).

Duchess_Driver
20th Mar 2012, 17:15

I'm sure I've seen handheld GPS units from Garmin displaying the Alpha around Heathrow! I may be mistaken, but if it hasn't then thats one HUGE fcuk up somewhere!

Garmin GNS430 uses Jeppesen data and I am fairly sure it shows the class A around Heathrow, and it displays airspace ahead alerts

I know for a fact that 430 panel mounts shows Alpha around Heathrow - airspace alerts 'n all.

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2012, 17:23
I spoke to JP at TAA and he rembers a similar event some years back. It's something to do with Jepp being US based and there being no class A in the US except for airways. Since we don't want airways on VFR data then all class A gets omitted. Garmin has some kind of work-round for it but my unit is not a Garmin.
It's frustrating that I have to extract this information from other users rather than getting it direct from Jepp. Customer service at Jepp is non-existant but obviously I need a fix from them somehow.:ugh:

wsmempson
20th Mar 2012, 17:29
My problem with the February 2012 nav data update on the 296 was similar in some respects (no airways shown) but different in that all the lower class D airspace was also missing. The March 2012 update (loaded gratis by Garmin) cured the problem.

But like you, the source of the problem was the update supplied by Jeppeson.

FWIW, Garmin UK behaved incredibly well and solved the problem as well as showing a real will to help (in spite of the 296 being 6 years old at least).

My experience of Garmin's product support has been second to none.:ok:

Echo Romeo
20th Mar 2012, 17:48
My problem with the February 2012 nav data update on the 296 was similar in some respects (no airways shown) but different in that all the lower class D airspace was also missing. The March 2012 update (loaded gratis by Garmin) cured the problem

Does the March update show the Class D at Norwich?

peterh337
20th Mar 2012, 17:56
Garmin take the Jepp data and somehow modify it.

What they do varies according to the product.

Even when Class A is shown (e.g. the LTMA) they sometimes leave out the 10nm wide corridors e.g. a part of the one from SAM to ORTAC.

This very long standing issue (pretty well all "aviation" GPSs being useless for VFR/OCAS flying if you are trying to avoid CAS, without constantly comparing the GPS display to the chart and looking for similar shapes) is why I have been running scanned versions of the "real printed" VFR charts, as a GPS moving map, right back to my first long VFR trips in 2003.

Today, you can buy any number of Chinese GPSs running the UK CAA VFR charts, which has been a major step forward. But they are really for flight monitoring only; they offer only the most primitive (if any) planning functions.

I suppose that for the UK and near Europe, Skydemon is the nearest you will get today to something that combines planning features, with comprehensive airspace depiction.

wsmempson
20th Mar 2012, 19:43
The March update (1203) for the 296 has Norwich's preposterous airspace on it, but doesn't have the trilander airway from SAM to ORTAC. As Peter says, this is invariably missing from our VFR devices, but it is shown on the 430.

Echo Romeo
20th Mar 2012, 22:19
Ok thanks for that info, I will go ahead and download.

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2012, 22:29
Well Peter, I'm glad for you that you have sufficient understanding of all things electronic and so are able to sort the wheat from the chaff.
I, on the other hand, am just an ignorant punter who's shelled out some large sums of money for equipment that uses data that's as much use as a parachute in a submarine and am getting no help whatsoever from the supplier.

peterh337
20th Mar 2012, 22:42
I would be suprised if there was a fix for this, on your box.

I am not aware of a GPS which runs the Jepp data, and can also run user-supplied scanned (or otherwise obtained) VFR charts. Well, not without some cunning hacks (a lot of these units are unix boxes inside).

stickandrudderman
20th Mar 2012, 22:47
Ironically, a friend who knows nothing of the issues I have with my avionics, just sent me this:
So dad, how do you like the iPad we got you? [VIDEO] (http://www.wimp.com/dadipad/)