PDA

View Full Version : FAA to DFS question

FL_ATC
18th Mar 2012, 18:41
Hello all,

Hoping to find someone who can fill me in on some information on how to become a tower controller at DFS. I did look through other posts regarding DFS but only came about radar positions and discussions.

A little about me, I am 21, EU Citizen / US Citizen and I work for the FAA at a fairly busy VFR / Limited Radar Approach, Tower in Florida. Also have private pilot license with IFR coming soon :)

I would like to apply to DFS to be a tower controller but see conflicting information online and the DFS website has taken down the information explaining the hiring process for direct entry.

First question, I believe I saw that DFS requires level 4 German ICAO but will provide German classes... So do I need to know level 4 German now or will I be able to learn it while I work?

Are there simulator tests for tower to pick a place best suited for you to work? If so are the simulations in German? I understand that VFR pilots probably speak in German but the rest of IFR traffic is in English. Is the traffic like an airline type of push or VFR sequencing / pattern work in between airlines etc...

I would really love to apply and work at a DFS international tower in Germany but am a little confused so any information at all would be helpful through post or pm.

Thank you! :)

ron83
18th Mar 2012, 20:34
From what I know,they do require knowledge of german for tower and/or lower sectors (approach) controllers ( I believe it's VFR and aerodrome vehicle drivers,who makes you learn it:E) I know they used to take experienced ATCOs without german for upper sectors,but I think that might have changed,since their "career" page is in german only now.:*

Cheers.

FL_ATC
18th Mar 2012, 23:06
Thanks Ron! If anyone else has any insight please also respond :)

Skybear
19th Mar 2012, 19:54
Right now DFS is not accepting any ready entry applicants. The tower courses at the DFS academy are full and they already cancelled one.

Sorry to say, but the chances to get a tower job at DFS are quite low now.

FL_ATC
19th Mar 2012, 22:24
Thanks for your reply skybear! I am not in a rush to apply asap, just curious. I am sure opportunities will arise in the future.

The Rusty Sheriff
21st Mar 2012, 15:19
Have DFS closed the door on experienced ATCO's who are Approach Radar/Area Radar Rated too?

Over and over
21st Mar 2012, 18:34
That is what they told me.

alwaysmovin
24th Mar 2012, 13:32
As far as I know they are not recruiting qualified controllers anymore despite being short staffed........I think the whole direct entry programme wasn't very successful