PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Tony Kern's Model of Airmanship

MindPilot
17th Mar 2012, 07:07
What do people think about teaching Tony Kern's model of airmanship as defined in his book "Redefining Airmanship" to pilots under training?

+TSRA
17th Mar 2012, 15:44
I cannot speak to teaching it to an initio level, however I have used that book and his second: "flight discipline" in helping to maintain my company course.

I've found that much of the content is similar to other manuals from a CRM aspect; it's his explanation of judgement/decision making that we have taken on board. I actually just finished teaching an initial CRM yesterday and when I got to the part where we use Kerns ideas the pens were flying to jot down notes, which tells me the relative importance of the concept others see in the material.

I'm actually looking to put more of his concepts into the course as I've personally used many of his methods in my normal line flying position and have found them to be quite adequate.

safetypee
25th Mar 2012, 01:20
MP, I assume that you mean teaching the ‘contents’ of the model – the principles and processes. I have seen examples where only ‘the model’ is used, listing the principles, and calling that airmanship!
Teaching airmanship during initial training is essential, using Kern’s model as a guide is very useful. The elements provide a good basis for professional ideals, advancement, and a reminder of the critical aspects of behaviour.

Many military pilots have been taught the elements of airmanship according to this model (e.g. RAF a long time ago); however I do not recall any description of a model being given or any specific discussion of the elements. ‘Airmanship’ issues were linked with safety, lookout, fuel and weather, learning originated from example, exposure and debriefing. This format was continued in advanced training, where the flight and operational instruction developed and tested the elements and processes. With time, students were taught airmanship, but most importantly how to use it and improve it – how to think, how to learn.

Modern aviation presents many challenges, particularly for training which depends on gaining expertise. Some elements of airmanship have been affected by social or cultural change, others by the change in the perceived need for knowledge or proficiency with the use of automation, and the reduced opportunity for gaining experience.
Thus modern airmanship many not relate to the details in Kern’s model, particularly the military examples; however the principles, and those of human behaviour within the model are still very valid and must not be discarded in training.

Some of Kerns work can be downloaded from EFP - Estudio de Formación de Pilotos (http://caee.org.ar/6Informacionparaparticipantes.html) however I suggest that this is used as ‘further reading’.

Also, The marks of an airman. (www.uscg.mil/safety/docs/CRM/Ten_Marks.pdf)

For an alternative, but parallel view; Airmanship training for modern aircrew. (www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA428471&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf) (2004 military)