PDA

View Full Version : Tollerton

nick14
16th Mar 2012, 12:28
Hi All,

Just wandering if Tollerton has an IAP to any of its runways and whether you can use it for actual IMC or training only?

Many thanks

Nick

Mickey Kaye
16th Mar 2012, 21:58
No it doesn't have an IAP.

It did until recently have an NDB and an unofficial ADF approach which was ideal for training and free (compared to EMA) however it was turn off recently.

Fortunately the new owners are considering re commissioning it again (along with a raft of other changes)

Why do you ask?

nick14
16th Mar 2012, 22:59
Im going there next week and would have liked to of flown an approach or two. Incidentally if it is an unofficial approach can it be used during actual IMC to get into the airport? I seem to remember an instructor using an unofficial approach to get back to base during my PPL training.

RTN11
17th Mar 2012, 11:35
Generally these old unofficial approaches should not be used in actual IMC. The whole point of a proper approach is you have a controller trying to make sure the area you are using is free from other aircraft, either with a radar control service or a procedural service.

I'm sure plenty of people do use them though, since if it's actually IMC noone is likely to be flying in it and as long as you make proper radio calls of your position it may well work. I'd certainly use one as a last resort if I needed to, although wouldn't have it as plan A.

A much safer bet is as above, using a proper ILS approach to break cloud in a known position, and then fly visually underneath to your destination if it's nearby.

poss
17th Mar 2012, 20:05
If you're planning on Sherwood Flying Club then you can expect to do your approaches at various airports... whatever you and the instructor agree upon.

I know that a few students have recently used EMA for their ILS approaches and there's always Leicester and Gamston to do NDB and VOR approaches.

The club operates on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday so the best thing to do is give them a call on those days and ask to speak to the duty instructor. The club is very big on the IMC and every PPL student that goes through it goes on to complete the IMC training.

thing
17th Mar 2012, 22:32
Using an approach aid airfield to go visual and then on to your none approach aid destination is SOP.

Didn't know Gamston had a VOR approach?

mrmum
17th Mar 2012, 23:08
It doesn't, according to the IAP. What it does have however, is an onsite VOR/DME, so I'm sure some locals have developed their own unofficial VFR only IAPs, for training use. In probably the same way as Leicester and other aerodromes with NDBs, have local procedures using their beacons.

poss
18th Mar 2012, 01:18
Mrmum is correct.. Infact I believe the same guy that came up with the Leicester NDB plate also wrote the Gamston one but don't hold me to that! The plates are available in the club house so if you go round they will be able to grab one for you.