PDA

View Full Version : Question to ATCO

A-3TWENTY
15th Mar 2012, 23:42
Is it true that when you atribute a transponder code starting with 7 other than the emergency ones it means amongst yourselves that this is a "dangerous" flight , like pilots with poor english , etc?

I`ve heard it the other day and fount it curious.

A320

blissbak
16th Mar 2012, 00:10
It's true, everybody squawking A7000 is dangerous :)

Akhorahil
16th Mar 2012, 00:10
No.
Codes are assigned mainly by "areas". Most of the tfc comming from Bordeaux has the same inicial number, as do the tfc from Lisboa and so on.

Fesch
16th Mar 2012, 02:17
Blissbak :D
but in reality I don't get to choose the transponder codes I assigne (most of the time), the system does it for me and they start with a 7 often enough.

chevvron
16th Mar 2012, 09:06
A320: whoever told you that was talking b0ll0x; codes starting 7 are frequently assigned by the computer at Swanwick.

Talkdownman
16th Mar 2012, 10:05
codes starting 7 are frequently assigned by the computer
....and 7701 is one such routine ORCAM SSR code. Care required with selection...

So, to answer OP's question: no, a transponder code starting with 7 other than the emergency codes does not mean "a dangerous flight , like pilots with poor english , etc"...

Dan Dare
16th Mar 2012, 10:26
You boring lot! Could have kept A320 dangling for a few days surely. Anyway the real secret code we assign to let all our ATCO colleagues know about the potentially dangerous flight is all 4096 of them

A-3TWENTY
16th Mar 2012, 11:45
Thanks Guys for the answers.

Are you guys from Europe? I forgot to say that I`ve heard it happens in Europe . My question came because I have a friend who flies for a chinese company and as we know their english is quite poor. And then he was saying that very often their are given codes starting with 7 because this is an unoficial way to let your coleagues ATCOs know a flight which requires special atention were on its way.

I heard that and didn`t believe that much because I had the idea codes were given by computers at Eurocontrol.

A320

Frunobulax
16th Mar 2012, 11:52
Sound like a good idea though;)

chevvron
16th Mar 2012, 12:07
Well these Chinese are pretty inscrutable so maybe they DO use this system in their own airspace!!

cavver
16th Mar 2012, 12:54
SSR codes in Europe are assigned according to EUR SSR Code Management Plan :
http://paris.icao.int/documents_open/download.php?maincategory=48&subcategory=127&file=EUR%20Doc%20023%20(EN)%20-%20Edition%201,%20Amd%200.pdf (http://paris.icao.int/documents_open/download.php?maincategory=48&subcategory=127&file=EUR%20Doc%20023%20%28EN%29%20-%20Edition%201,%20Amd%200.pdf)

blissbak
16th Mar 2012, 13:00
Well, if this is true
"dangerous" flight , like pilots with poor englishand this as well
Well these Chinese are pretty inscrutable so maybe they DO use this system in their own airspace!!The result is every single flight squwking 7XXX
:ok:

Talkdownman
16th Mar 2012, 15:28
DEVELOPMENT OF AUTOMATED SSR CODE ASSGNEMENT SYSTEMS
Very pretty...but I do wish that ICAO would proof-read its official documentation before publication...

eglnyt
16th Mar 2012, 21:22
In the UK for the moment the computer at Swanwick assigns the SSR code according to the Uk SSR Code Assignment Plan. That plan is published in the UK Air Pilot ENR 1.6 available on line. In the not too distant future the code will be assigned by a computer in Europe.

Woodwork
16th Mar 2012, 23:53
If controllers are genuinely concerned they're dealing with a bit of a muppet, they'll coordinate that by voice line to the next agency. Coalface controllers - the ones you talk to - don't assign codes (at least, not for IFR scheduled flights), that's done well before you taxi in most ATC systems.

eastern wiseguy
18th Mar 2012, 20:38
Woodwork

Coalface controllers - the ones you talk to - don't assign codes (at least, not for IFR scheduled flights), that's done well before you taxi in most ATC systems.

That's true. All of our LOCAL codes are allocated by the controller....and EVERY ONE of them starts with SEVEN...oooerrrr :ok::ok:

Loki
19th Mar 2012, 09:23
Woodwork.....yes, several times I've warned receiving sectors about some flights. Good practice I thought, but you have to be careful how you put it. Me to the TMA "watch out for this kraut, he's a bit of a pillock" may have been factually correct, especially as he undershot at his destination and removed some of the approach lights; but it doesn't look too good in print (R/T transcript) on the subsequent report!

BravoMike
19th Mar 2012, 17:28
We use an 8 to indicate dangerous pilots...
If he can put it in its xpdr, he's really dangerous
:}

Loki
19th Mar 2012, 18:00
Did that once to an Aer Lingus as an April first gag....he read it back too! "Very funny ground" was the best he could come up with.

chevvron
19th Mar 2012, 20:28
I once allocated 0469 to an RAF Wessex helicopter. It was about 10 minutes before he told me he was unable to select it. I had visions of him sitting wrenching at the switch all that time!!

soaringhigh650
20th Mar 2012, 10:17
In the UK for the moment the computer at Swanwick assigns the SSR code according to the Uk SSR Code Assignment Plan. That plan is published in the UK Air Pilot ENR 1.6 available on line. In the not too distant future the code will be assigned by a computer in Europe.

I was flying a little Cessna around London a few years ago and noticed that for every controller I spoke to I had to reset my squawk code.

Consequently workload increased and I heard some poor read backs from others too, which decreased capacity.

In the US, France, Germany and Spain it is generally one code - one flight. Much more efficient and less workload.

Plazbot
20th Mar 2012, 11:59
New European AIC for Transponder failure coming out next month. Set 7800 and continue last ATC clearance.

chevvron
20th Mar 2012, 12:53
Soaringhigh: I don't see much hardship changing SSR code when you also have to change radio frequency. In any case, the 'cunning plan' means that controllers at each radar unit can tell which unit is working a particular aircraft and thereby can co-ordinate if necessary, and can see who to contact if the aircraft infringes controlled airspace.

Spitoon
20th Mar 2012, 13:35
In any case, the 'cunning plan' means that controllers at each radar unit can tell which unit is working a particular aircraft and thereby can co-ordinate if necessary...Which, of course, is only necessary because of the UK's rather quaint departures from (or interpretations of) SARPs and the somewhat fragmented and uncoordinated system that is used within the State. But I guess it must be the rest of the world that's doing wrong ;).

soaringhigh650
20th Mar 2012, 15:50
I don't see much hardship changing SSR code when you also have to change radio frequency

The xpdr doesn't always sit on the central radio stack. It is sometimes found beneath and to the right of the RHS yoke. Also if you happen to use one of these while hand flying the plane by yourself:

http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/images/tt21-parts.jpg

You'd be spending a good 20-30 seconds twisting those knobs to get the right number and maybe not looking out the window. ;)

In many other countries it is not a problem as it is usually set once and we leave it there for the flight.

chevvron
20th Mar 2012, 23:06
Strange that 'progress' seems to make things more difficult. I'm used to a transponder with a separate knob/thumbwheel for each of the four numbers; takes a lot less than 20 secs to change one of those, especially when one or more of the numbers may be 'common'.