PDA

View Full Version : Help for proposed flight – WW to SPA (EBSP)

nick ritter
15th Mar 2012, 15:11
Hello

Weather permitting I am flying to SPA (EBSP) at the end of the month (departing EGLM on a Saturday and returning on a Sunday)

I was hoping that anyone who has made a similar trip recently might give a few suggestions on routing and any other useful advice that they might like to offer

I will be with someone a lot more experienced than myself, but would appreciate any input from those with recent experience

My only flight to Belgium was to Ostend before catching the train into Bruges – and I am relatively inexperienced, 155hrs over 2yrs with IMC

Thank you in advance

Regards, Nick

peterh337
15th Mar 2012, 15:13
It's fairly obvious that you may get some "interesting" weather (http://www.mwis.org.uk/synoptic.php) this weekend, but it is too dynamic to be sure this far ahead.

Otherwise, VFR is VFR :)

Get the VFR charts and plan a route, initially outside CAS.

Belgium is easy.

achimha
15th Mar 2012, 16:45
Belgium is easy.

Yes, if you like low altitude flying -- Brussels TMA spans the larger part of the country. It is possible to get CAS clearance but you can't assume you will. 2 out of 3 times I got denied.

There are two redundant FIS services, civil and military. In my experience, the military FIS provides the better service.

Jan Olieslagers
15th Mar 2012, 20:32
Are you sure you want to go to Spa? I've never been there myself, but heard rumour it is not an easy runway, with a sharp tree-clad incline immediately after take-off either way.

stickandrudderman
16th Mar 2012, 07:08
Spa is a great destination for a couple of reasons:
1. the museum is excellent.
2. the girl in the tower is gorgeous!

And the runway is about as far from challenging as you can get.

A and C
16th Mar 2012, 08:11
If the wether is good get as high as you can in the London FIR, contact Brussels west and ask for a climb to FL90, the chances are you will go direct to Spa.