PDA

View Full Version : B777 in emergency landing @ shannon

3yappydogs
15th Apr 2001, 18:36
From the Irish Sunday Indo

Mechanics at Shannon Airport are examining a Boeing 777, which was forced to make a precautionary landing there this afternoon. The aircraft, which was en route from London to New Jersey, was forced to stop off at Shannon after the pilot reported problems.

It is believed that smoke had started to emanate from the cockpit. The plane, which was carrying 132 passengers, landed safely and without difficulty.

anybody know anymore

Unwell_Raptor
15th Apr 2001, 18:54
I would love to know the flight number. I love flying, but I hate being jammed into a tiny seat. Under 150 on a 777 sounds like paradise to me..and all at cheap fares.

Positive Climb
16th Apr 2001, 01:33
since when did 132 passengers neccessarily mean less than 150 seats ?

More to the point what was the relevance of this reply ?

------------------
"After V1, we'll take the emergency into the air - You call 'Positive Climb' and I'll ask for the gear up. We'll climb away at V2 +15"

ExSimGuy
16th Apr 2001, 10:22
I suspect that "Unwell" meant "less than 150 bums on seats" - not that he thought the triple-7 had half of it's seats removed http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

I agree that it's rather nice for the pax (although not for the airline!) to find that there's a seat : pax ratio of 3:1 on a long sector and you can really spread out with meal on the table in front, drinks on the table to the left, and laptop on the table to right (playing computer games of course, not working) :) . :)

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!

[This message has been edited by ExSimGuy (edited 16 April 2001).]

Rescue115
16th Apr 2001, 12:20
I was training in Shannon at the time, It was a United Airlines B777, don't know the flight number. We heard the pilot report smoke in the aft cabin, he was about 40 miles out. He sounded nervous !!

Shamrock 145
16th Apr 2001, 16:52
According to an e-group, the aircraft was N799UA

Martin

twistedenginestarter
17th Apr 2001, 13:40
United have to have a high seat-to-passenger ratio. You need to move twice in order to find one where the in-flight entertainment works.

oops forgot the ;) ;) ;) ;)

[This message has been edited by twistedenginestarter (edited 17 April 2001).]

PITbeast
18th Apr 2001, 17:05
The airplane diverted into SNN due to electrical odor reported in aft cabin. Maintenance isolated the source to seat 35 F and G Seat Video Units.The airplane was ferried back to departure airport where the Video Distribution Boxes at 34 FG and 35 FG were replaced along with the cables.

SKYDRIFTER
18th Apr 2001, 21:22
GOOD DECISION ON THE CREW'S PART -

Given the frequency of electrical fire incidents - in the wake of SR-111 - it's good to see the crews making rational choices.

Keep it up.

dv8
19th Apr 2001, 03:44
3yappydogs
spice the post up Andypandy might find it too dull.

----------
please dv8

Radio Man
19th Apr 2001, 19:13
Are United still using the GMIS ife system?