PDA

View Full Version : Could KSFO tower give the clearance like this ....

TTS
14th Mar 2012, 18:05
Got a question like this, some day taking off from KSFO R28, and 1 Eng flame-out followed by the company policy to fly EOSID(Engine Out SID), it will be like fly 2 miles away from A/P, then right turn on heading 320 to intecept some radial from SFO VOR
In the case I still stay on tower freq, can the tower controller clear me to fly my EOSID, or he/she need to talk to the SOCAL radar man then get the clearance....

Tks!!

gorter
14th Mar 2012, 19:09
Surely if you have an engine failure, you'll have declared an emergency, and thus clearances are a moot point. Maybe later, but during EOSID you fly the a/c as you need to. I'm sure tower will coordinate with other sectors to get traffic out of your way though.

Spitoon
14th Mar 2012, 20:21
I can't speak for KSFO but here are some general thoughts that will probably apply anywhere. In the first instance all that ATC wants to know is that you've a problem, the direction/route you're going to follow and the level that you're climbing to. After that the controller will do whatever is necessary to get other aircraft out of your way and leave you to do the aviating and navigating bits. If you don't do this, the controller might call you (repeatedly) adding to you distractions when you have better things to think about.

You'll get differing views from different people about how much of an emergency an engine failure is. On the aircraft you'll soon have an idea if it's a relative simple and explainable problem or something that is, potentially, a symptom of more extensive problems that might lead to additional difficulties. It's useful to give the controller an indication of this as soon as possible. Whatever, if you need to deviate from the published procedures in order to keep the aircraft safe, I imagine that most controllers would consider this to be an emergency. In an emergency you do what you need to - you don't need to get a clearance to fly the EOSID. If the controller needs to co-ordinate (get a clearance) from someone else, he/she will do so.

vespasia
14th Mar 2012, 23:54
Agree 100% with Spitoon. Again, can't speak for any ATCO but myself, but my golden rule is that in an emergency, you call the shots - tell me what you need to do and I'll arrange the clearance and get everyone else out of the way. If that means co-ordinating with radar (and it almost always will) then I'll tell them what you need to do and make sure they get everyone else out of the way!!

:)