PDA

View Full Version : C180 engine exchange

Claude Reymond
13th Mar 2012, 05:36
I must replace the O-470 K Continental of mi CESSNA 180A from 1957. Too match oil consumption and too low oil pressure. I need some advises from experienced people.
Witch engine to install? The same O-470 K, or an O-470 R or U or L? Going to IO engine? IO520?
I am in Chile, flying for fun, less that 50 h. per year
I want to minimize the adaptation work.
Thank you very match to help me.
Claude Reymond

Pilot DAR
13th Mar 2012, 06:58
Hi Claude,

Depending upon the amount of power you feel you need, the O-470K may be the simple choice. If I recall, the U model is slower turning (to keep the noise down), and does not run on Mogas. It is a compromise, which may not be best for you, as you have the choice. Simple can be best in these cases, if you do not need to change.

Changing to an other engine might require changing other things, including the propeller. I will gather some more information on this, I know exactly who to ask, we have done these changes many times before.

A carburetted 520 or 550 is a great modification, though it is costly, and you'll be using more fuel. Be sure you need that extra power before you consider paying the price for it! The need for a new engine mount will also be a factor, though check yours very carefully as it comes off, I have seen some terribly cracked. You might need to change it anyway. Changing the engine mount can reqiure changes to the firewall and cabin heat system.

I will gather some more information, and provide it to you shortly....

Flying Binghi
13th Mar 2012, 11:02

via Claude Reymond;

... flying for fun, less that 50 h. per year...

...Which engine to install? The same O-470 K, or an O-470 R or U or L?...

Unless you want more power for bush strip operations probably a rebuilt 0-470 K would be the cheapest and simplest option.

A rebuilt 0-470U seems to price out a couple of thousand more than the 0-470K, though you can get a new 0-470U engine - CMI Engine Pricing (http://www.genuinecontinental.aero/enginepricing.aspx)

I dont know the Chile aircraft regulations so there may be other cheaper 'rebuild' options available to you..:)