PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Dunstable the end of the month

LTCTerry
12th Mar 2012, 15:26
Hello all,

I've made five weekend trips to the UK since last summer to take part in glider aerobatic training (Lasham, Dunstable, and Booker). I was talked into registering for the Dan Smith glider aerobatic competition taking place in Dunstable the end of this month.

I'll be in Dunstable all day 29-31 March and then fly out of Stansted very late on Sunday 1 April. My plan is to make two practice flights on the Thursday and Friday before the competition and then fly, of course, in the competition on Saturday and Sunday.

Neither practice day will be very full, so I'll have some time on my hands. I would very much enjoy flying a Tiger Moth and/or a Chipmonk to add something new and British to my log book.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

Terry

PS I'd fly a Spitfire, Hurricane, or Lancaster, too, but they are not likely to be available! :) I'd even try one of those little single seaters (Turbulent) if available. I'm trying to spend my time in Europe enjoying my job and doing as many differents things as possible that are not available in the US.

mary meagher
12th Mar 2012, 16:54
Good afternoon, LTC Terry! wondering what type of glider you will be flying?

As for the Tiger, chipmonk or whatever, why not look in to White Waltham, the West London Aero Club, you can find their website on the internet. Not that far from High Wycombe, about half an hour from Dunstable. They are actually quite friendly.

(Tell Andy Roch at Dunstable Mary says hello!)

fwjc
12th Mar 2012, 18:06
Try Cambridge Flying Group for Tiger Moth flights, and stop by The Shuttleworth Collection and/or Duxford to get a fix of vintage aeroplanes. There'll likely be engine runs at the very least at both locations, since the flying season is imminent.

fwjc

Jim59
13th Mar 2012, 14:22
It is probably worth trying to visit Duxford - which is ALMOST on the way from Dunstable to Stansted and see if you can fly a Tiger Moth or Harvard from there.

Vintage aircraft flight (http://www.duxfordflying.co.uk/)

http://www.classic-wings.co.uk/res_web_voucher.asp?supplierCode=CLA100&action=spec&voucherId=2&activityId=&reselectItem=0

piperarcher
13th Mar 2012, 16:41
Henlow Flying club is quite near Dunstable, and they had a Tiger Moth available with an instructor. The rate was very good compared to Duxford, but you would need to contact Henlow to see if it is still available for 'lessons'.

BroomstickPilot
14th Mar 2012, 08:02
Try the British Airways Flying Club at Booker.

They certainly used to have a chipmunk: I don't know whether they still have it.

Booker is also nearer to Dunstable than White Waltham previously mentioned.

BroomstickPilot.

Sir George Cayley
14th Mar 2012, 20:18
The Tiger Club at Headcorn in Kent have many of the a/c you need. I'm sure there are some people connected who can help.

If you go say hello 'rnz for me.

SGC