PDA

View Full Version : Airbus newbie steep desent w/ speed constraint

xyncs
10th Mar 2012, 10:34
Hi im just new to the Airbus 320 and I'm still trying to work around how does
this thing fly.

just recently flying to Manila from L360 atc gave us restrictions to descend to 4000ft .
and manila had a speed constriction at 20nm.

being new i was just familiar with managing or open descent profiles and not with other techniques.
what i did was i managed the desent but ended up too high which my instructor took over
and manually guided it down.

now my question is what is the quickest way to descend while maintaining a speed constraint? thanks

BOAC
10th Mar 2012, 11:49
Ask your instructor? Did he/she not debrief you? What sort of second rate outfit do you work for? Pprune is NOT the place to learn to fly.:ugh:

ross_M
10th Mar 2012, 14:12
What sort of second rate outfit do you work for?

Simulation-Air? :)

BOAC
10th Mar 2012, 14:24
Yes, Ross, I had considered the prospect, but he/she said "my instructor took over
and manually guided it down" - Ah! perhaps that was his/her Mum or big brother?.I hadn't thought of that.:ugh:

Colin Oskopi
12th Mar 2012, 00:41
The quickest way to descend an airbus is open descent. The quickest way to slow an airbus is selected speed and "push for alt".

Lets say they said "be at 4000' by COMEL at 220 kts, and expedite."

You could direct the other pilot to "give me a waypoint of COMEL/-5 with a alt constraint of 4000'. You can then descend at 300 kts down to that waypoint and then fly level decel to 220kts. As the FMA reads *ALT 4000', select the speed to 220 and it will slow to 220 over the 5nm to COMEL, then proceed as cleared.

Hope that helps.

Intruder
12th Mar 2012, 02:47
what is the quickest way to descend while maintaining a speed constraint?
What is it in ANY airplane?!?

Idle thrust, speedbrakes out. Depending on your airspeed and how much more descent rate you need, gear down and/or flaps out.

Even works in a Cessna 150, though speedbrakes and gear are moot...

de facto
12th Mar 2012, 07:51
Ask your instructor? Did he/she not debrief you? What sort of second rate outfit do you work for? PPRuNe is NOT the place to learn to fly.

Someone is having a bad day:E

BOAC
12th Mar 2012, 10:01
Even works in a Cessna 150, though speedbrakes and gear are moot. - I always used to open a door to help with the drag and make sure the gear was down as well.

ross_M
12th Mar 2012, 12:59
- I always used to open a door to help with the drag and make sure the gear was down as well.

Me too. That one time I noticed the gear wasn't down there, I found I had bigger problems than steep descents. :uhoh: