PDA

View Full Version : PPL Exam pass expiry?

Odai
8th Mar 2012, 22:45
Hello,

I passed my first PPL exam, Human Performance, back in September 2010. I also completed several others last summer (Technical, Met, Air Law, Comms).

I realised recently that I am coming up on 18 months since I passed HP (18th March 2012 is the 18 month mark). Originally, I believed that if I failed to finish the remaining two exams (Nav and Planning) before this date, I would simply have to redo the HP exam only.

However, in a chat with my flying school, I was told that if I hit the 18 month mark without passing the remaining exams, all the previous exam passes will be invalidated and I would have to redo every last one (even if the pass is less than 18 months old).

Can someone confirm for me what is actually the case?

Thanks,

Odai.

Aware
9th Mar 2012, 06:16
It was usually that the exam that went over the 18 mth period was the one you retook, the others remained valid. However that may have changed a call to the CAA will confirm. Please let us know the result of the phone call.

kevkdg
9th Mar 2012, 14:01
PPL Written Exams Validity [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-114563.html)

Odai
9th Mar 2012, 14:42
Hello,

Thanks for your responses guys.

Aware, which department should I be calling?

Kevkdg, thanks for the link - but it doesn't clarify on whether it is only the expired exam that I have to re-take, or all of them (including the ones less than 18 months old).

I sincerely hope I don't have to re-do them all, as my chances of passing both within this next week are slim, and the cost in terms of both time and money to re-do those 5 exams would be obscene. :p

BillieBob
9th Mar 2012, 16:48
Appendix 1 to JAR-FCL 1.130 & 1.135, paragraph 5 "....a candidate shall be deemed to have successfully completed the theoretical knowledge examinations for the PPL(A) when awarded a pass in all parts within a period of 18 months." A pass is a pass and nobody can take that away from you. Provided that the dates of passing each examination fall within the same 18 month period, you have complied with the requirement. Perhaps it might be worth finding a school that is more familiar with the requirements.

Odai
13th Mar 2012, 22:15
Hello,

Sorry to bump this thread, I am just looking for more views on this matter.

I did try calling the CAA earlier for clarification, but they closed earlier than the other departments I'm used to dealing with and I missed them. So, until I can get in touch with them again, I thought I'd get some more input.

Thanks,

Odai.

Duchess_Driver
13th Mar 2012, 23:29
I am just looking for more views on this matter.

Not sure what more clarification you want.... it's as Billiebob says. Must be completed within an 18 month time frame then you have two years to do the rest and have the application sitting on someones desk in PLD.