PDA

View Full Version : "Flying holiday"

cattardbezzina
8th Mar 2012, 18:56
Hi all,

My friend and I, (both with PPL), have recently been thinking of going on holiday together to rent a Cessna 172 and do some flying.

I was wondering whether any of you can recommend somewhere within Europe where we can do this, preferably at reasonable rental rates and with accommodation close to the airfield. I'm open to suggestions :)

Thanks in advance,
Claude

peterh337
8th Mar 2012, 20:07
Some trip writeups here (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/).

From Malta, you don't have far to go to the nice places :)

cattardbezzina
8th Mar 2012, 21:13
Thanks Peter, no doubt about that! I'm looking for suggestions from where I can rent a C172 anywhere in Europe though - perhaps in Spain, France or Greece for example.

This place in Hungary was recommended to me a while ago for instance, Sky Taxi - SKYTAXI (http://www.skytaxi.hu/eng.html) ....

Genghis the Engineer
8th Mar 2012, 21:15
Others can probably advise on aircraft rental than me, but the best two flying holidays I've ever had were in the Hebrides and west coast of Scotland.

The next best two were respectively in Arizona and California, which are outside the scope of the question.

G

peterh337
8th Mar 2012, 21:24
No rental possible in Greece, for sure.

Also the place has fairly scarce avgas so you need to plan the flying pattern around that, especially in a C172.

Cusco
8th Mar 2012, 22:11
Get on a plane:

Go to California:

Rent:

Fly every day: am and pm.

Come back knackered after two weeks with a pretty massive ear to ear grin.

Sam Rutherford
9th Mar 2012, 07:34
The easiest option is to take the plane you normally use and head off across the channel.

Depends on type and departure point, but 5 hours will normally see you somewhere in Scandanavia, east Germany, Switzerland, the Med... All great places. Once you have decided how many hours you can afford - Google Earth is your friend! I can also recommend the 'Pilot's free flight atlas' for your planning.

By taking your usual plane, you'll 'save' the hour or two checkout cost before a new rental, you'll be paying less per hour because you're known to the owner (and hopefully he trusts you!), and it'll be more fun because you'll be more relaxed (aircraft a known entity).

Oh, it'll save you 2x return airfares as well! :)

Fly safe, Sam.

PS do keep an eye on avgas availability - a quick call ahead is a good idea...

PPS from Malta... there is Tunisia if you are feeling a little brave, or Algeria if more brave (and contacts, and budget). A great 'normal' trip could be up via Sardinia and Corsica to the Swiss alps, then back down through Italy.

cattardbezzina
9th Mar 2012, 18:34
Thanks for your feedback guys! I know the trips I can do with my 'usual plane' from Malta (flying to Pantelleria - LICG, next summer for a weekend in fact)

I'm just asking if you guys know anywhere I can rent an aircraft from for 10-12 hours in a country where it would take that much time alone (or more) to fly there from Malta and come back in my C172! hehe I dont mind the short checkout ride nor the flight tickets -just want to see and fly in countries too far away from home to fly to :)

As recommended above, Scotland would be amazing (just been there on a short holiday) I've looked it up before for aircraft rental but the rates I found were quite expensive. If it were not for the relatively higher rates I would consider it as well - but perhaps I didnt find the cheapest place?

Having done my PPL in Florida, I know that GA doesnt get much better than it does in the US - so thanks for recommending California - been on my list for a long time, just not planning to do that quite yet :ok:

So, I'm still open to suggestions... anyone? :)

Genghis the Engineer
9th Mar 2012, 21:20
The UK is quite expensive, but give it a go. There are a few good clubs at Prestwick I think where you can rent, and getting an international flight into Prestwick should be fairly straightforward - it is served by quite a few budget airlines.

You are then right on the west coast, and a very short flight from the Hebrides and some stunning airfields - Plockton, Glenforsa, North Connell, Broadford, Barra... You can do a lot in 12 hours from there.

India-Mike is a local instructor in that neck of the woods, you might get some good recommendations for him about where to rent from.

G

500 above
10th Mar 2012, 07:17
Try Cyprus. Plenty of C152/72's to hire. Within 1 hours flying time you could be in Beirut, Rhodes is just over 2 hours north. Paphos is a quiet 'big' airport with a school there that has British instructors.

Beer is only 2 Euros.:cool:

cattardbezzina
10th Mar 2012, 17:34
Cyprus would be nice. I had a look at the prices for that school in Paphos - was totally put off! way too expensive! C150 is rented out at €165/hr :eek:

Hoping to get some more suggestions..

I also found out about this place..- | Fly-in-Spain |- Spain, Jerez (http://www.fly-in-spain.com/en) ... anyone ever heard of them?