PDA

View Full Version : A330 Windshear

PGA
8th Mar 2012, 09:53
Hi,

The way I remember my actions to a windshear warning or caution is basically: If it's Amber: sit on your hands, asses, and decide on your action, however if it's red (either reactive or predictive) either a reject or go-around (standard or windshear escape) is required.

Basically as far as I'm aware all warnings along the lines of " monitor radar display" / " caution windshear ahead " are displayed in amber, and looking at the supp. techniques shows me that basically your don't HAVE to either reject or go - around, since in some cases it COULD be more prudent to land.

On the other hand if you get " go around windshear ahead (predictive) " or " windshear windshear (reactive) " you have to go around , same applies to t/o up to 100kts, it would be an RTO.

Now, this is basically something I recall from my 320 days, however I struggle to find the actual windshear related messages and their associated colour coding on the ND in the FCOM, I tried 1 and 3.

Anybody any ideas where I could find this information?

Thanks for your help in advance! :ok:

Cough
8th Mar 2012, 10:05
320 manuals - FCOM 1 or GEN DSC (same)

Windshear ahead (either approach or T/O) - RED
Monitor radar display - AMBER

This was in 1.34.60 - Windshear prediction function. The 330 manuals may, or may not, be similar!

9.G
8th Mar 2012, 15:08
PGA, all depends on severity and actual conditions determined by the pilot along with the warning when it comes to predictive WS.
The “W/S AHEAD” message is displayed on each PFD. The color of the message depends on the severity and location of the windshear.
Note: When a predictive windshear alert (′′WINDSHEAR AHEAD′′ or ′′GO AROUND WINDSHEAR AHEAD′′) is triggered, if the flight crew makes a positive verification that no hazard exists, then the alert may be disregarded, as long as : ‐ There are no other signs of possible windshear conditions, and ‐ The reactive windshear system is operational. Known cases of spurious predictive windshear alerts have been reported at some airports, during either takeoff or landing, due to the specific obstacle environment. However, always rely on any reactive windshear (′′WINDSHEAR′′).

Funny enough in the next check list Airbus cautioned about aborting takeoff with reactive W/S warning.
If windshear is detected, either by the system or by pilot observation, apply the following recovery technique :
 If before V1 :
The takeoff should only be rejected if significant airspeed variations occur below indicated V1, and the pilot decides that there is sufficient runway remaining to stop the airplane. In other words if you're RWY limited and and W/S occurs somewhere above 100 kts close to V1 aborting takeoff is like playing the Russian roulette.:ok:

olepilot
8th Mar 2012, 15:32
…do you answer a question regarding A330 with 320 stuff?

Cough
8th Mar 2012, 16:21
Coz, the references are probably pretty similar...It might just point him in the right direction...

Cough
8th Mar 2012, 16:25
Guess what! The references are the same! Shock! (http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/plane/airbus/A330/systems/0019/)