PDA

View Full Version : kingair NO-LIGHT?

PPRuNeUser0179
7th Mar 2012, 17:58
hey guys...alright...i was reading this on the internet King Air starting malfuntions | Jetcareers (http://forums.jetcareers.com/threads/king-air-starting-malfuntions.67603/.there) i dont understand number 3...the NO-LIGHT.as you can see one of the members quoted a question and the answer was "KABOOM"..why would this be as i thought that when starting a kingair,you flip the starter/ignition switch,stabilize 12% N1 and introduce fuel to low idle....once again i ask,what do they mean by NO LIGHT..surely you ONLY get A LIGHT once you have introduced fuel??

regards

drag king
7th Mar 2012, 18:26
NO LIGHT means that the 1st set of nozzles (7) fails to deliver fuel into the burner-can for whatever reason or the igniters are not working. Either cases you close the condition lever to stop fuel flowing (if it's the igniter that has failed) and purge the engine using the remaining "motoring-time".

The starter has its limitations:

60 sec ON/40 sec OFF, 60 sec ON/40 sec OFF, 60 sec ON/30 min OFF

So if after 15 sec you are positive after a NO LIGHT you close the CONDITION LEVER and leave the STARTER ONLY engaged for the remaining 45 sec. Then as above before attempting another start...

Does it help?

DK :ok:

PPRuNeUser0179
7th Mar 2012, 18:33
hey DK....you have helped me quite abit...uhhmm what im confused about is that when you stabilize at 12%,and introduce fuel....is that when you will know that you have got a NO LIGHT when the engines dont start?

drag king
7th Mar 2012, 20:39
It doesn't have to be 12% sharp.We sometimes wait for a 14-15% i.e. if it was a quick turn-around (15 mins or less). A friend of mine that flies C208 in Kenya told me that mid-afternoon (when it's roasting...) they give their PT6 a good 20+ sec of dry-motoring to get "fresh" air in before putting the fuel on. They probably reach a 18-20% by then...

So yes, you won't know whether you had a NO-LIGHT until you move the condition lever to LOW-IDLE and you can see FUEL FLOW increasing but no ITT rise.

Nite

DK :)

PPRuNeUser0179
8th Mar 2012, 04:08
thanks DK:ok:.helped alot...didnt know about the c208 rising up to 18-20% during hot days:ooh:.