PDA

View Full Version : Grass Runway in Brighton, Ontario

amit_tammu
7th Mar 2012, 14:35
Has anyone come across a grass runway in Brighton, Ontario (Canada). I know a friend of mine told me he landed over there once which is owned by an old guy. Trying to see if anyone else knows about it.

The only information I have about it is that it is privately owned and maintained on the south side of Hwy 2 and just west side of Brighton.

Pilot DAR
7th Mar 2012, 21:51
I have looked for it over the year, and never seen it. There were two marked on the very old Ontario aviation chart in that area, but my belief is that neither has been there for a long time.

amit_tammu
11th Mar 2012, 16:11
Do you have those maps with you? Can you tell me approximate location for it? I live here so very well can drive around and try to find it.

Thanks.

Pilot DAR
11th Mar 2012, 20:46
I'm working overseas right now, so do not have that map available. It is about 25 years old now, so probaby really out of date for that purpose. I did specifically look for that same (reputed) runway for a fuel stop once in 1986, but I could not find it then, so I have to meet a famer, whose field was long;).

I'll recheck the map when I'm home in a few weeks, but don't hold out your hopes too much. Lots of runways have disappeared. There was a nice one at Wellington too, just east of town, which I used to use, but it is now plowed up, I checked it last summer. Property owners are becoming much more cautious (particularly when they do not fly) as insurance companies are now including clauses which dis connect them from any avaition use of the property - Mine did, and I've had my runway for 22 years! Unmotivated property owners are very hard to intice. Much more risk than reward!