PDA

View Full Version : Best ATC controllers/environment.

clyclayton
7th Mar 2012, 08:15
I would like to start a poll on what pilots think is the best ATC controllers/environment.

For my personal point of view, the best ones are UK and the Netherlands.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Mar 2012, 10:46
This question has been posed in the past. It's very unfair because it does not take account of local conditions or procedures for controllers. My feeling is that every pilot should consider his base airfield to be "best".

FantomZorbin
7th Mar 2012, 11:48
How about the dear old MPN11 ... nice and warm, away from interference and complete with a microwave to warm up NAAFI pies:E

millerman
7th Mar 2012, 12:09
If you want to know what pilots think, why are you posting in the ATC section?
Most pilots don't seem too bothered these days as long as they aren't delayed and we don't give them any extra paperwork to fill out :eek:
A lot of the time they don't even know who they are even talking to.
When you say you like Netherlands ATC is that a specific airport, approach, lower airspace or upper airspace (above FL245) as there are many different units and agencies involved - are they all great? ;)

Flying Wild
7th Mar 2012, 12:18
My feeling is that every pilot should consider his base airfield to be "best".

Sadly not the case at mine. Was put in a sticky position by ATC on approach once last year. Both of us on the flight deck could see that there was a 95% chance of it not working out, so weren't surprised when we had a very late go-around, despite being given landing clearance with the departing a/c still on the runway...
Just last week we were vectored all over the sky with just two a/c (us and another) on approach, for no reason whatsoever. It was a gin clear night, so we could see there weren't any other a/c to affect.

So, I wouldn't say that my base ATC is the 'best'.

eastern wiseguy
9th Mar 2012, 09:14
Just last week we were vectored all over the sky with just two a/c (us and another) on approach, for no reason whatsoever. It was a gin clear night, so we could see there weren't any other a/c to affect.

Sometimes there is stuff happening on the ground that MIGHT (don't know if this was the case of course) occasion aircraft being vectored about the sky on a gin clear night. Aircrew don't ALWAYS have the full picture.

Voodoo 3
10th Mar 2012, 05:35
Flying Wild,

Sorry to hear that you were put in a sticky situation by your local ATC. If however you could both see there wasn't much chance of your vector and approach working out, why did you accept the clearance? A couple of occasions I have judged my altitude, speed and distance (at request from ATC) not in the best combination to get my last vector to final and so I just ask for another mile. Every time it's been granted and all ATC have to do (I guess) is give the guy behind a little more space. I know there is often a bigger picture which we may not be entirely aware of but if you feel its going to drop you properly in it I would always ask for a couple more miles. If not well then there's always gear n speed brake!!

Anyway I always thought my previous airfield were on top of their game. Occasional blips but by and large, great guys n gals. Also made me very welcome to the VCR and radar room on a couple of visits. :ok:

V3

Plazbot
10th Mar 2012, 10:09
Aircrew don't ALWAYS have the full picture.

Absolutely. I did a recent cockpit famil and came back to home base at the start of our evening rush. Looking at the TCAS and listening to the RT as well as looking out the window, I would have sworn it was us and two other aircraft. I even commented to the crew along these lines. The delaying techniques and levels used pointed to a very different situation as what we were told to do only happens when things are going bad. Spoke to the guy who was the controller when I next saw him at work and he filled me in as to how they were getting hammered. If a pilot thinks they have a proper traffic picture, they are sorely mistaken.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Mar 2012, 12:48
Wise words, Plazbot, very wise words..

jackieofalltrades
10th Mar 2012, 13:43
Indeed, I agree with the sentiments of Plazbot. From the famil trips I've done, it can seem a lot different in the cockpit to what the controller is going through on the ground. It comes back to what has been discussed on here many, many times. ie pilots having liaison visits with control centres and controllers having famil trips in the cockpit. Both are extremely valuable in aiding one understand the other.