PDA

View Full Version : Dual class/type rated pilots

Bittair3000
6th Mar 2012, 21:50
I want to read up on JAR-OPS / EASA requirements for dual rated flight crews.
If for example a pilot is flying two classes, SEP and MEP, for an operator I assume he would need an individual line check, OPC and LPC on each class, am I correct?

Where can I read up on these requirements?

welliewanger
13th Mar 2012, 16:37
I looked into this 3+ years ago. You will have trouble finding any information as there are no specific requirements for "dual rated" pilots. They just have to go through twice as many tests.

HOWEVER, having seen numerous people in the sim forget how to operate their current aircraft type and revert to procedures on their previous type. I would say that you could be tempting fate.

Denti
13th Mar 2012, 17:34
Being rated in two types is actually pretty normal in many airlines. It is called MFF or mixed fleet flying. However a certain familiarity between both types should exist, therefore it is mainly airbus fleets where it is done. There are excemptions for simulator checks. We use that currently on our A320/A330 fleet. The normal number of simulator events is done, every 6 months at least two days, however they change between types each time.

There was also a certified MFF scheme for boeing 737 and 757 or 767 for some time, however we never operated the larger boeings. But there is currently a lot of work being done to develop a 737/787 MFF system to the same rules as on the airbus fleet although the differences between both types are rather large.

Without a certified MFF system one can hold two active typeratings for AOC work, however the normal simulator events and checks have to be done for each type, in an airline environment that would lead to four simulator events per year. I would think the same is true for dual class ratings.

Bittair3000
22nd Apr 2012, 20:10
Thanks for your replies guys. :ok:I am however contemplating a simpler scenario;
A pilot, operating two types, both of which fall under a class rating, not type rating.

Typical for a small piston operation, where you wouldn't fly a larger aircraft than lets say a Piper Navajo and a Cessna 172.
Do you follow the same path as a pilot who maintains currency on two very different types of aircraft where two individual type ratings are required?

condorbaaz
25th Jul 2012, 17:24
you could look for 'open rating' reqts..

Di_Vosh
26th Jul 2012, 09:51
Can't speak for Euro-ops, but in Australia if you're flying, say piston singles and twins (less than 5700kg MTOW) you'd only generally be tested on the most 'advanced' type. It would then be assumed that you were competent on the simpler type. This would also be dependent on which aircraft was available for you on the day of your line/route check/instrument renewal.

e.g. A few years ago I flew both PA-31's and C402's on RPT ops between Darwin and the Tiwi islands. My route check and Instrument renewal were done on the C402. IMHO, should have been done on the PA31, as that was the more demanding aircraft of the two to fly, especially in the tropics.

(Obviously before you could fly any of these aircraft, including any of their singles such as C206, C182, C210, you'd have to be checked out prior)

DIVOSH!