PDA

View Full Version : Being Gay in Emirates

GMIMA
5th Mar 2012, 17:41
Hi guys

I'm currently a first officer with my eyes set on command early next year on the 320, however, I'm thinking I might like to join emirates as a first officer , however there are a couple of big sticking points.

1. I'm gay, I'm not camp and I don't advertise the fact that I am.
2. Civil partnership relationship
3. Two large dogs

All three points I can't change.

Question is, are there any openly gay pilots at emirates? Dubai is very westernised, however I understand that being gay is illegal.

Do you think a gay guy would be able to make it?

Cheers

Wizofoz
5th Mar 2012, 18:04
Well, ALL unmarried sex is illegal, and as such all unmarried pilots remain celibate in Dubai:rolleyes:

In other words, keep it discreet and I don't think you'd have a problem, though there is no way you will get any type of benefits for your partner, as nothing close to a civil partnership agreement exists .

Neither the dogs nor living with your partner would wash in company accommodation ( you'd only be entitled to an apartment ) so the best option would be to opt- out, take the Housing Allowence and rent a place that allows pets.

givemewings
5th Mar 2012, 18:35
Put it this way, you'll never be short of friends down the back of the plane and there's opportunities to party everywhere you go if that's your thing.

I'm kinda jealous :E

Keep a low profile and you should be good, as the others have said, 'that' is illegal so none of us are doing anything we shouldn't be.... :=:}:ok:

Sorry, no provision for staff travel etc, them's the breaks... perhaps one day we'll be allowed to take friends travelling with us (for those w/out 'traditional' families) ...we live in hope...

Popgun
5th Mar 2012, 20:10
You might be interested to read this:

LGBT rights in United Arab Emirates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_United_Arab_Emirates)

You won't exactly be welcomed with open arms.

PG

fullforward
5th Mar 2012, 21:15
Everyone, regardless of sexual orientation or ethnics have to be clearly in mind that UAE, like most of ME states, is nothing more than a medieval dictactorship, despite all the gleaming buildings, shopping malls etc.
There's nothing even remotely related to western democratic laws and human rights over there. Plenty of stories about that in this space.

They are gradually silencing independent media: CNN got even a fully equiped branch in Abu Dhabi, from were they broadcast a daily program. There's never been single criticism word about what goes on ME from CNN, as they have been pumped with millions from Qatar and UAE, just watch and see. Money definitely talks.

GMIMA
5th Mar 2012, 21:25
Thanks guys

I'm going to have a couple of visits out there, just to try and get a feel for the place.

I'm certainly not going to be advertising the fact, that I am gay, but should people ask from the company I will of course tell them the truth.

My partner is cabin crew and would probably be looking at joining the company also, I was wondering what the companies point of view would be on this? I.e I suppose they would see the same address and just think to lads sharing?

Would defo take the option of the allowance and live outside somewhere.

What is the companies allowance for accommodation, and would I still get a ride to work?:ok:

givemewings
5th Mar 2012, 21:38
If your other half is CC, then he would be hired on a separate, different contract with differing benefits & accommodation (plenty of info about this in the CC wannabes section if he wants to look)

Edit: Check your PM for the rest..

Bypass ratio
6th Mar 2012, 04:29
I thought the Airbus fleet was known as the Gay380?

CURRENTA330-200DRIVER:
"Just because your mom looks like a man doesn't make me gay for boning her. I was drunk, alright."

hehe:ok:

A-3TWENTY
6th Mar 2012, 04:49
No longer do pilots like the old days :=

A320

crewmeal
6th Mar 2012, 05:29
I'm certainly not going to be advertising the fact, that I am gay, but should people ask from the company I will of course tell them the truth.

With experience of flying in and out of the ME I don't think it's a good idea to come out to your ME employer. I think you'd be on a one way ticket out of the region.

Now in a different life I'm partnered to my ME boyfriend but I respect his wishes not to mention anything about being gay to his friends or family. I can live with that out of respect to him.

Be careful about what you say and to whom.

fluffy5
6th Mar 2012, 11:33
Don't worry about it, as some above posts have pointed out you will fit right in at emirates. But your sexuality in an Islamic country is illegal , even though most locals part take, and there are a couple of gay night clubs in Dubai so I have been told, from friends who I knew while being there. But be very aware that to keep it to yourself, so quite nasty circumstances can happen if you trust the wrong person.

Fluffy5

Payscale
6th Mar 2012, 13:38
We did have an openly gay female former U-2 pilot. I think her orientation had something to do with her leaving.

givemewings
6th Mar 2012, 18:45
Wow, a reasonable & non-inflammatory post from Sitting- ok who are you and what did you do with him/her?! :E

kingpost
7th Mar 2012, 15:18
Sound advice, stay where you are, don't turn your life upside down because of your lifestyle, it's not worth it.

givemewings
7th Mar 2012, 18:06
Fair enough... I suppose I was just surprised that on this thread you weren't the sh!t-stirrer.... then again, it's all a bit obvious and probably all been done before, anyway ;)

Back to the thread, the main thing I've always heard from everyone (including the comapny) is... IF you choose to do anything that's contrary to the law, USUALLY there won't be a problem if you're only affecting yourself and not the wider community- e.g don't piss off the neighbours or get carried away in public (whether that be drinking, girls(guys), the odd fishing trip to catch Barracuda, etc etc etc etc...

As the induction people like to say, "there is no problem, until there's a problem"... keep this in mind if ever something happens and you are shacking up, think about how your house would look to others before you call an ambulance as the cops always show up too... if they think you're (as in,anyone) is living together when they shouldn't be, or up to anything they sholuldn't be...then, problem....

ferris
7th Mar 2012, 19:46
Oh, sorry. I thought this thread was about the use of the word "SUPER" in the callsign.......easy mistake to make.

Trevor the lover
7th Mar 2012, 20:04
Hey Ex 380

Dunno about Bypass Ration and your mum, but I did see him in action with some grannies in Prague!!! Hoooowee - very impressive. No shame - but impressive.

Trev

GMIMA
7th Mar 2012, 20:25
Thanks for your responses

As for bumming a ride to work mullah, I guess u will be the one picking me up, but don't be too disappointed if I turn u down, heard on the grapevine that the 777 fleet pilots are called the shrimp fleet. Tongue in cheek :ok: bend down and touch those toes boy lol:eek: nice to see someone on here has a sense of humour!

Certainly has made me think that maybe this is not for me, might try Cathay or Korean.

Has any pilots been sacked at Emirates for being gay? For example, you do a night stop and information has got back to the company that one of the lads is gay?

As for telling colleagues about my sexual orientation, I don't see a way round it, especially if you re flying with a jack the lad guy who is asking, which tart with the cart u r lining up? I hate awkward silences.

Cheers

givemewings
7th Mar 2012, 21:01
Edited to add, if they ask which one, just ask which one THEY are going for.. because you're a nice guy and don't want to cut anyone's grass.... haha

White Knight
7th Mar 2012, 21:48
Well, let's put it this way: there's the real man's fleet - and then EK also has a large number of airbuses of varying type, quality and reliability "flown" with thumb and fore-finger only by a large number of limp-wristed, pink flight bag dragging, long sleeve wearing, brogue-shoed, high-trousered mincers who willingly submit to the shame and femininity of their plight.

That made me laugh... It's a shame you need something extra between your legs over on the B fleet:}:ok::ok::}

Payscale
8th Mar 2012, 10:29
My advice is DONT join any middle eastern airline. Obviously it is an issue for you since you bring it up here. There are gay pilots here like in any other place. 3000 pilots... of cause some are rooting for the other team.... but they obviously dont flaunt it or bring it up on Pprune.
I remember one guy was openly gay and had a purser boyfriend. He has since left aviation for other things..

nolimitholdem
8th Mar 2012, 15:31
GMIMA,

You've got nothing to worry about whatsoever. Dubai has to be the gayest place on earth. From the flamboyant Filipinos working retail in the malls, to the Euro-ponces mincing about with the fake tans and capri shorts, to the greased-hair Lebbos desperately trying to appear butch in the flash leased cars they can't afford, not to mention the locals who apparently only consider someone gay if they're a "receiver" and not a "giver"…

I think you'd be just fine.

The most amusing part is you'd actually be at an advantage. Example: two gay cabin crew SFS's, both claiming the live-out allowance and living together. Couldn't do that myself with the girlfriend cause we weren't married, we had to maintain two properties. But those two can double down on the money from EK to live their "haram" lifestyle, because hey they're just two buddies living together! lol

It's a nice illustration of what happens in every repressive society. Sticking your head up your a$$ and refusing to acknowledge reality always backfires and has the opposite of the intended effect.

Of course if you wanted to be militant about it you'd be in hot water. But otherwise don't even give it a thought.

flyinghawk
19th Mar 2012, 12:19
You will make a big $$$$ if you go around as all of the Saudi's and Kuwaities are looking for you.

Wizofoz
20th Mar 2012, 06:13
Wow!

You waited 15 days to post that spray????

He said large dogs and wants his same-sex partner to move in.

What do YOU think his chances are?

sirwa69
20th Mar 2012, 06:24
The Arabs have a saying "Girls are for breeding and boys are for fun" and there's a lot of truth in that. I've been out here for 20 years and the place is full of male homosexuals. GMIMA the biggest problem your gonna have is that your existing relationship may not survive because of all the temptation put in you, and your partner's, way.
Then your going to argue about who has the dogs :ugh:

gcc_
20th Mar 2012, 06:42
Sirwa69,

Let's be serious for one second.
Bahrain, UAE, Oman, Qatar, not so bad and I've been in all 4 for a while.
Saudi and KUWAIT however......
KUWAIT ::E