PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth carrying a portable GPU?

Soave_Pilot
5th Mar 2012, 10:05
Hello folks,

Just wondering if it is worth carrying a portable GPU and add all that weight on my baggage compartment (28kg), are those cooler start that good for the turbine?

avionimc
5th Mar 2012, 10:13
I always carry my RB75A (24V) Hand Portable Power Pack along. Worth every gram and every penny of it. Red Box International - Manufacturing Ground Power Equipment since 1993 (http://www.redboxpower.com)

John R81
5th Mar 2012, 12:32
What do you fly? That's 30kg. 20min of fuel the way I fly an EC120

JulieAndrews
5th Mar 2012, 12:35
GPU 'Rule of Thumb'

If it's French - carry a GPU whenever possible!

mickjoebill
5th Mar 2012, 21:58
Very handy if your mission role equipment needs to be tweaked in the field

Spent many hours last year running the worlds most expensive 28v power supply... due to lack of field power.

Nice $$ if the job is charged on an hourly rate.

Mickjoebill

spinwing
5th Mar 2012, 22:12
Mmmmm ....

.......... If it's French - carry a GPU whenever possible! ......

Or .... If its Italian and a 139 :O

blackhand
5th Mar 2012, 23:40
Just wondering if it is worth carrying a portable GPU and add all that weight on my baggage compartment (28kg), are those cooler start that good for the turbine?

Cool starts aren't what you is after, hot and fast is what you want.
But yet, overtemp will be avoided with the use of GPU or aux power.
Also will extend the life of your ship's battery.

BH

Soave_Pilot
6th Mar 2012, 00:49
What do you fly? That's 30kg.

R66

I guess I'll should get one and start planning the weight accordanly

Thank you all for the input.

John Eacott
6th Mar 2012, 04:49
What do you fly? That's 30kg. 20min of fuel the way I fly an EC120

The 24V RB75A (http://www.redboxpower.com/products_power-12-24-28V-DC-Start-Power-Units.html) is only 16kg, and the 28V unit is 29kg. Normal GA ops shouldn't have any call for the heavier unit, and 16kg is worth the peace of mind :ok:

John R81
6th Mar 2012, 17:27
The 24v RB25A is 16kg.
The 24v RB75A is 29kg - hence my Q; that is what Avionimc specified

Or am I reading this wrong?

I agree the RB25A is less of a weight trade - would it "assist" much with an EC120?

I ask because I recently experienced my first voltage drop on start - dropped to 15amp, fuel off but I saw 13amp before I was sure that temp was secure and I let the starter button go. Brought out the maintenance facility start cart - start was so fast! I was wondering about getting a ground battery, and 16kg is something I can live with. 30kg...... I have been know to land with less than 30kg over my minimum fuel so it would, on occasions, be restricting.

Soave_Pilot
7th Mar 2012, 00:36
I agree the RB25A is less of a weight trade - would it "assist" much with an EC120?

I asked myself the same question, but reading the specs data, on the RB25A it says it will start piston aircraft, and on the RB50A (23kg) says it will start piston, turbine aircraft and helicopters.

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2012, 08:29
If you're operating single pilot in the field, after a GPU engine/rotor start, who disconnects the plug and stows the unit?

Brilliant Stuff
7th Mar 2012, 08:47
I haven't had any issues fortunately over my flying career, but my thoughts would be wouldn't it be cheaper to have a first class aircraft battery instead, can you not buy a bigger battery for the 120? Also people in the industry like to disconnect their battery over night or when the aircraft isn't been used.

How about a solar charger?

Just my two pennies.

Flyting
7th Mar 2012, 17:16
Depends on where you're operating and if you have back up crews to assist...

If you're in the Amazon jungle I would definately. The more remote the longer you will have to wait for a ride or a fix, which can be rather :mad: sometimes. We've always carried one into the bush to leave at the main camp for the 1st start of the day when everything is still cold. Also, we disconnect the battery when we're not using the machine for a few hrs. This way you're guaranteed not to have a dead battery because you left a master/light on.
have a first class aircraft battery and well maintained, and keep your eyes on it - know when it is in need of a deep cycle.

As for: If you're operating single pilot in the field, after a GPU engine/rotor start, who disconnects the plug and stows the unit? in the real world, us helicopter pilots tend to have to do everything ourselves.... :E Often we don't have the luxury of landing at a big H on the ground with people to help.

birrddog
7th Mar 2012, 18:06
At a minimum I'd suggest a GPU plug to jumper adapter, and ability to connect sufficiently sized 12 volts in series if weight is such an issue.

Had an issue on a cold morning at an airfield in Botswana in a 407 WI a dicky battery where we had to jury rig jumper cables (to a 24v battery from an islander kindly provided by the BDF)

Next trip like that definitely taking a portable GPU.

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2012, 21:40
in the real world, us helicopter pilots tend to have to do everything ourselves.... Often we don't have the luxury of landing at a big H on the ground with people to help.

I seldom have the luxury of landing at a big H with people to help. But that is why I asked who removes the GPU and stows it after rotor start. :D

So you start up, leaving the aircraft unmanned with rotors running immediately after start, remove the GPU and stow it yourself? You also doing that with pax on board?

newfieboy
8th Mar 2012, 01:16
I never leave our base for the bush without one, winter or summer. In the winter I always carry a portable in the squirrel cheek.I don;t shut down in the bush below -20c, unless a chip light or some such forces me to. Try getting a start at -30c/-40c while it has been sitting for 10mins while you have a looksee, ya might, ya might not.......I don't intend sitting on the ice/in the bush for the night at -20 let alone -40, unless there is no option, bin there seen it,done it, got the t-shirt thank you very much..... :eek: :{not fun...and definately not because of a weak/flat battery.

Funny old winter here, bird towing in Quebec last weekend, -30c with -45 wind chill....:eek: Now moving drills 80nm to the west, today +10c go figure. Still carried my APU though....:ok: Winter not over yet I fear, although I live in hope.....roll on bug season, can't wait.....not :ugh:

Flyting
8th Mar 2012, 05:18
So you start up, leaving the aircraft unmanned with rotors running immediately after start, remove the GPU and stow it yourself?
....um, yes, if I have to... we also sometimes have to do hot refueling where there is NO option of shutting down, because of the remoteness and the fact that if the battery couldn't restart the a/c, it would mean days before someone got to you.:eek:
You also doing that with pax on board? if you've got pax, you've got people to help :ouch:

At a minimum I'd suggest a GPU plug to jumper adapter this is the other option, and has worked for me very well, when you have behicles around to jump off.