PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Back-Up not working

Hussar 54
5th Mar 2012, 09:20
Any ideas, please ?

I've got a couple of Seagate Hard Drive Back-Ups...

One is working no problem, but the other one doesn't seem to want to open....

The 'in use' light is on when connected to the USB, but a click on ' My Computer ' and my PC can't ' see ' it as a D drive as it does with the other one...

Thanks in Advance....

mixture
5th Mar 2012, 09:30
What happens if you have a poke around device manager, do you see it there ?

Do you have another machine you can try it on ?

Final option is to open the enclosure and attach the drive to something else to see if there are any signs of life.

BOAC
5th Mar 2012, 11:07
When you plug this USB external drive (powered) into a USB port you should see a message box telling you it has been 'found'. If you don't try another USB port. If still no luck I suspect it is knackered.

Mike-Bracknell
5th Mar 2012, 11:11
Also, Disk Manager (right-click 'computer', choose 'manage' and expand the 'storage' section) will tell you whether the disk is recognised by the system but not mapped to a drive letter (usually by a network mapping being in the way)

Mr Optimistic
5th Mar 2012, 12:46
One of the machine is have is a bit skittish when it comes to recognising usb devices. It regularly fails to recognise an external hard drive and often disables the usb mouse when I plug another usb device in. Usually swopping usb ports gets over this but I put it down to a software (driver) or motherboard error, not the external device. Does swopping usb ports make a difference or does the same box never show up ?

Mike-Bracknell
5th Mar 2012, 17:13
One of the machine is have is a bit skittish when it comes to recognising usb devices. It regularly fails to recognise an external hard drive and often disables the usb mouse when I plug another usb device in. Usually swopping usb ports gets over this but I put it down to a software (driver) or motherboard error, not the external device. Does swopping usb ports make a difference or does the same box never show up ?

That's usually down to a lack of power being supplied by the USB ports in question.

Hussar 54
6th Mar 2012, 22:57
Many Thanks everyone....

Tried all the suggestions above, except opening the enclosure and fiddling around with whatever wires may be inside, but still nothing except the ' in use ' light....

All a bit of a bugger, but not a huge disaster - just some music from ex-colleagues that I'll lose and probably won't be able to get again....

Suppose I'll have to buy another one, but fairly sure it won't be Seagate next time....