PDA

View Full Version : Landing Clearance given by Approach Controller

PositiveClimbGearUp
4th Mar 2012, 21:02
I'm just wondering how common it is (in the UK, specifically) for landing clearance to be given to an aircraft by the Approach controller, prior to handing the aircraft over to the Tower.

I've heard this happen a few times at EGNT - in each case the volume of traffic was light (it was normally the early hours of the morning). The aircraft reported being established, or becoming established, on the localiser, and Approach said something along the lines of "XXX123, you are cleared to land, RW 25, contact the Tower on 119.7".

Can landing clearance only be given by Approach if certain criteria are met?

Talkdownman
4th Mar 2012, 21:29
Simples:
It's transmitted on behalf of Aerodrome Control. Particularly useful for SRA or PAR. Get's landing clearance out the way before a ground-interpreted approach is terminated, which is usually quite late.

Glamdring
4th Mar 2012, 21:31
Clearance is given by the Tower but may be passed by radar/approach, usually via phone coordination or by LCIS. Happens during SRAs, or when approach has forgotten about one on final (usually when quiet) and gets a panicked phone call from the tower :ok:

jackieofalltrades
4th Mar 2012, 22:00
I did it once as an en-route controller to an aircraft that had partial loss of R/T. He could hear me, but couldn't transmit and didn't want to change frequency.

I got clearance to land from the Blackpool Tower controller and passed it onto the pilot, who acknowledged by squawking ident. That was the one and only time I've ever cleared an aircraft to land!

chevvron
5th Mar 2012, 18:12
I've had a takeoff clearance from the approach controller!
Dunsfold c1981; I was backtracked and lined up by Tower, then transferred to APP for takeoff clearance.

chiglet
6th Mar 2012, 22:53
Many [many] moons ago Manch tower cleared a Royal Saudi C130 to line up ....and in those days he was given the next [in this case en-route] freq.
He lined up and promptly called Radar.
Radar had the strips, and cleared said C130 to FL50..... sooo he took off and followed Radars directions.
There were changes made after that
In the Tower, it was a definite WTF moment

zilir
9th Mar 2012, 20:15
That is what ICAO says on that

4.3 DIVISION OF RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONTROL BETWEEN
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL UNITS

4.3.2 Between a unit providing aerodrome control service and a unit providing approach control service
4.3.2.1.1 Arriving aircraft. Control of an arriving aircraft shall be transferred from the unit providing approach control service to the unit providing aerodrome control service when the aircraft:
a) is in the vicinity of the aerodrome, and
b) is at a prescribed point or level, or
c) has landed,

so if the transfer of control is effected after the aircraft has landed it means that the clearance to land is given by approach. It really depends on local procedures
cheers

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
9th Mar 2012, 20:52
<<Many [many] moons ago Manch tower cleared a Royal Saudi C130 to line up ....and in those days he was given the next [in this case en-route] freq.
He lined up and promptly called Radar.>>

Happened at Heathrow too, during one of those stupid trials when we gave aircraft "contact London Radar on xxx.x mhz 90 seconds after rolling", or some such. A European airline DC9 crew missed the 90 seconds bit and called London at the hold. Radar man said what he always said to departures: "Squawk ident, climb to 6000 ft".... whereupon the DC9 took off without further reference to the Tower.

Zippy Monster
14th Mar 2012, 08:17
Not so long ago, one of our crews, flying northbound from Casablanca to Seville airspace, experienced a pressurisation failure just after reaching cruise level and declared mayday with a diversion into Malaga. They were cleared to land immediately upon calling Malaga approach after hand-over from Seville.

In a mayday situation, is this likely to happen in UK airspace? Considering the workload the crew may be having to deal with, and the fact they will have priority, would procedures allow a UK approach controller to do the same, or would it still be necessary to hand over to the tower? Or would it vary from place to place, for example depending on how busy the airspace/airfield is?

Fortunately never had a mayday so not quite sure how the fine details such as this would work - obviously when we train emergencies in the simulator the TRE does not have exact replication of each airfield's approach/tower procedures as his main priority!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Mar 2012, 08:40
Whether an aircraft could be cleared to landing immediately the crew contacted Approach Control is difficult to say - it would depend on traffic. At busy airfields it would be most unlikely.

Any ATC agency can issue a landing clearance as long as they can liaise with the Tower controller(s) concerned. In bad weather with SRAs, Approach will usually issue the clearance. Where I worked there was a light system to communicate with the Tower. Push the button when the lander was at 4nm and the response would be Green=cleared to land, Amber=continue approach, Red=Go around. Wonder if such a system still exists?

Glamdring
14th Mar 2012, 08:45
Yep, LCIS still exists. At Scottish airports it is integrated into EFPS, but the old style LCIS panel is still there as a backup.

Talkdownman
14th Mar 2012, 08:54
LCIS - Landing Clearance Indicator System....says it all really......

Akhorahil
15th Mar 2012, 09:07
On IMC conditions the clearance to land / take off is given by the APP controller according to spanisht RCA (Air circulation rules).
But usually on the letter of agreement the clearance is transfered to the TWR.