PDA

View Full Version : Training in France

Piperwarrior28
4th Mar 2012, 15:27
Hi

I have recently started training for my PPL and have just found out that I am being transferred to France for a year. I would like to continue with my training while over there. I know they have a lot of flying clubs, I was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice on actual flight schools and where to find them.

I have already taken my air law exam in the uk, will this be accepted in France?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

737-NG
4th Mar 2012, 15:30
Not sure about you air law exam.

Nevertheless France is a not a small country and has 36000 towns and cities so you need to be more precise as to where you plan on being. Any specific type of aircraft you'd like to be on? etc

Piperwarrior28
4th Mar 2012, 15:51
Sorry I should have put that in the initial post :ugh:

I'm going to be near Bordeaux on the Atlantic coast, I've done my training so far in a PA28 but I've not even gone solo yet so I'm not too fussed about changing types.

stupix
5th Mar 2012, 06:46
Piper,
there has been an English school based in Limoges France for the passed 8 years called Nearlyheaven run by English instructor, unfortunately Sue passed away suddenly towards the end of last year after a short illness.
There is a new school run by former pupils of Sue, who are going to continue to have an English school at the airport for both PPL flight training and theory teaching/exams, it has changed name and its called Cosmo Flight School. There were examiners on site as well when I did my PPL there and Limoges is about an hour and a half from Bordeaux. They use Robin air craft there combined with a lovely long runway I thoroughly enjoyed learning there, plus the food in the area is fantastic. Enjoy your move to France

Endamil
20th Mar 2012, 20:32
Hi,

Enjoy your time in France. You have a great selection to choose from in terms of clubs for tuition and they are great value; the nearer you are to a large airport or military base (Toulouse/Bordeaux....) is better as they will normally provide assistance in one of the local clubs and english will not be a problem.
I was in a French club for 2 years and enjoyed it though was not able to maximise the benefits due to work commitments.
Private or small airfields will often revert to french for atc which out of hours so be warned but this should not pose a problem for biluinguists.
The rates are much cheaper normally approx 100E per hour for a PA28 or DR400.
Membership of the club is normally approx 75E for a student PPL and approx 120E per annum to the French FFA.
The club is Limoges is listed on teh link below but not sure about the takeover of NearlyHeaven - would be interested myself if it is still running under new management/ownership.
Best of luck

E

Aero Club of LIMOGES - International Flight School and Trial Flight (http://www.aeroclublimoges.fr/english/index_en.html)

Jude098
22nd Mar 2012, 23:19
A bit further south but there is a flying club at Biscarrosse and I know someone who teaches on a Piper Cup Amphibian at the Village Aeronautique Airpark. Had a lesson when I was there researching for my MSc.....had a great time doing touch-and-goes on the Lake there.

If you need overnight accommodation if you want to fly from there some friends at the Airpark do great B&B. A fantastic English couple.

PM me if you want further details.

Jude