PDA

View Full Version : US ATCOs caught on camera apparently sleeping, texting

Buster the Bear
26th Feb 2012, 09:34
Air Traffic Controllers Caught On Camera Apparently Sleeping, Texting | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/25/air-traffic-controllers-caught-on-camera-apparently-sleeping-texting/)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Feb 2012, 09:41
Done it thousands of times. Just because someone is "on duty" doesn't mean they're actually working. Three major places I worked required 24 hr ATC cover but from midnight to 5am there was little or no traffic so I and my colleagues would sit at the desk having a snooze, reading a book..... maybe play games (Formula 1 was favourite at one unit). What do you expect... controllers to sit staring at radar tubes all night?

ron83
26th Feb 2012, 10:40
+1 to HD.:ok:

Or walk around a bit to stretch legs...

Andy Mayes
26th Feb 2012, 11:50
Hope I don't get caught posting on PPRuNe!;)

mad_jock
26th Feb 2012, 12:11
The daft thing is that any activity which stimulates the mind is a good thing in periods of low activity while on duty especially out side normaly awake periods.

le Pingouin
26th Feb 2012, 16:38
Fark! You mean I'm not a mindless automaton?

Talkdownman
26th Feb 2012, 17:50
Outrageous, sleeping whilst texting...but the resultant content might stand one in good stead to become a tabloid journalist...

cjlar
26th Feb 2012, 18:56
If it's FOX it must be true??

Lon More
26th Feb 2012, 20:34
I used to snore loudly on the Sup. position. Guaranteed to keep the rest awake.

Vercingetorix
27th Feb 2012, 06:00
There was a chap at LATCC who used to vector the planes around his book 'cos the flat top radars made an ideal book rest. T'was a long time ago on Brs/Stu.:ok:

Talkdownman
27th Feb 2012, 07:50
BRS/STU was once an ideal place to go for a little doze. I thought that was why some folk went down there...either that or FIR North...
Fox News wouldn't be too enamoured to learn of ATCOs selling honey or cheesecloth shirts then...

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Feb 2012, 07:54
Often slept while on duty....

shoot me please...

glf

Sir Herbert Gussett
27th Feb 2012, 14:20
Crumbs, how do Americans put up with such irritating television. :ugh::hmm:

JustaFew
27th Feb 2012, 16:59
Sleeping AND texting...isn't that multitasking, a requirement of the job? :)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Feb 2012, 20:09
I worked with a guy at Heathrow who used to bring a knitting machine in for night duties. He'd clamp it to the radar console and belt away all night!

kontrolor
27th Feb 2012, 23:04
:yuk: fox news....

ILS 119.5
28th Feb 2012, 09:13
When I worked at LATCC and LHR we had beds, it's a shame that the poor guys in the USA have to sleep in their chairs, how uncomfortable. I remember one guy at LATCC used to get into a sleeping bag whilst on the console. It was the middle of the night though and no traffic only the cleaners kept him awake.

"There was a chap at LATCC who used to vector the planes around his book 'cos the flat top radars made an ideal book rest. T'was a long time ago on Brs/Stu."

When we all (a lot of us) wore shirts and ties for work; I've seen people vector around their tie as it was lying across the radar

Jay Doubleyou
28th Feb 2012, 11:50
Too damned comfortable, someone forgot to call me off a long-sleep and I awoke in full daylight then walked into the ops room to a sea of strange faces, sorry "A" watch!

ILS 119.5
28th Feb 2012, 12:04
At LATCC we had to call one of the chiefs one night in his room and the phone was answered by a female!! Not always sleeping then!!