PDA

View Full Version : Retirement of ATCO's in Europe - Question -

BravoMike
23rd Feb 2012, 09:51
Hello,

I just wanted to know at what age ATCO's need to stop their operational carreer. After their operational carreer what happens?
- Retirement
- Non operational tasks (what sort of tasks, on a voluntary basis ?)
- Other...
I am especially looking for answers of the ANSP's of Europe.

Thank you

If you want to give extra info, you can always PM me...

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Feb 2012, 09:57
A lot depends on what the individual ATCO wants to do combined with his/her ability. Some have to come off operational work earlier whereas others can work up to retirement age. Once the headset has been hung up, there is plenty of office work to be done...... or he/she could retire early.

Talkdownman
23rd Feb 2012, 10:12
I just wanted to know at what age ATCO's need to stop their operational carreer

others can work up to retirement age
Ceasing being an operational ATCO in UK is not dependent on age, only EASA Class 3 Medical and competence.
My SATCO is 79 and radar valid and can do the job as well as the next man, if not better.

chevvron
23rd Feb 2012, 11:13
In the UK, NATS seem to like you to go by the age of 60, but they can't force you to retire until you reach national retirement age (presently 65 for males, 60 for females but increasing over the next few years) All this as Talkdownman says is dependent on retaining competence and medical fitness.

MNT
23rd Feb 2012, 17:02
There is no retirement age in the UK now as its considered discrimatory, so the company cannot force any one to retire at any age you have to resign and give the comapny 3 months notice unless you are incapable of doing your job.

Frunobulax
23rd Feb 2012, 17:37
In Poland Atcos are allowed to do operational duties until 60, retirement age is 65 for men and 60 for women and to be extended to 67 for both sexes. Don't ask me what they're supposed to do after 60...

WhatMeanPullUp
23rd Feb 2012, 20:21
Why on earth would you want to be working at 79????!!!!!

throw a dyce
23rd Feb 2012, 20:47
In my old Nats unit there is no choice for people wanting to stop or do less operational work.The office jobs are promoted posts,and are all taken.That leaves you with resign,go sick with stress and lose medical,or carry on until your health really packs up,all for the mighty Band 2 Atco 3rd rate salary.
In my case I just left to preserve my health and medical,and had the option to look at other jobs after a break.Some choice after 30 odd years at the coal face.:hmm:

splitduty
24th Feb 2012, 22:18
Chevvron,
You may be interested to hear there is no longer a compulsory retirement age in NATS......

Lon More
25th Feb 2012, 17:22
Eurocontrol stops at 55 with the possibility of a 2 year extension for operational controllers

Brian 48nav
25th Feb 2012, 20:02
I'm with you - as a Grumpy Old man almost nothing annoys me more than hearing of retired NATS/CAA ATCOs continuing to work as ATCOs.

My off-spring at Swanwick tells me they have greedy idiots who are pulling in pensions around £50k, having taken lump sums in the region of £250-£300k, continuing to 'work' as Group Sups on salaries now over £100k.

What the hell are they trying to prove? Don't these selfish fools realise they are reducing the number of vacancies available for youngsters, keen to start a career in ATC, to fill. Some of whom could easily be their own children or grandchildren.

For goodness sake, those of you who have had the benefit of 40 reasonably well-paid years in the job, stop being so bl**dy selfish and let someone else have a go! Life does not end with retirement, there is a whole host of things to do in the years you have left!

splitduty
26th Feb 2012, 18:19
BrianNav,
Give the guys a break! Do you realise how much it costs to finance their lifestyles? What, with yachts, fast cars, even faster women, private jets, non-stop holidays, mistresses, boyfriends, country homes, second families, school fees, top restuarants? I could go on, but even you can see the problems.:=

Daermon ATC
27th Feb 2012, 06:55
In Spain you are forced to retire at 65. If prior to that you fail your medical validations then you are considered "active reserve" and can not perform atco duties but remain within the ANSP making other related jobs (and about 50% salary).

However this is not something definitive, these conditions where "agreed" upon through an arbiter whose ruling is set to expire 2013, so expect these conditions to change for the worse.

For example, in may 2010 a law was passed declaring automatically, from one day to the next, all atcos above 56 unfit to work. This was reversed later the same year as this meant there weren't enough atcos... but expect a revival of this once there are.

Retirement conditions in Spain? Wish we'd know... :ugh: