PDA

View Full Version : ATCO strike in FRA?

kontrolor
17th Feb 2012, 16:18
Anybody knows why?

renard
17th Feb 2012, 16:37
I thought it was the ramp guys, not ATC.

Lssar
17th Feb 2012, 17:02
Yup, itīs the platform personel who is U/S ...

Daermon ATC
18th Feb 2012, 07:37
If I got it correctly, they claim that their workload has increased a lot since Frankfurt opened a new runway. They demand improvement in their working conditions as well as a salary increase to level them with the ones at Munich.

I lack context information to know if their demands are reasonable or not (obviously they say they are and management says it's daylight robbery). ;)

Dan Dare
23rd Feb 2012, 11:49
As far as I can tell there are no ATCOs on strike in FRA.

About 200 ground-staff are on strike including apron controllers and follow-me drivers. The media has difficulty telling which end of the airport is the runway, so this level of subtelty is bound to be beyond them and most of the general public. In common with most recent strikes these ground staff are being villified by an envious public and there is a one-sided media frenzy over the levels of reward and increase demanded. What is not being reported is that insufficient staffing requires too much overtime (does this sound familliar?) and that after talks broke down both sides agreed to independent mediation but the result was ignored by FRAport leaving the union with no further recourse, but to strike.

disclaimer - I have no first-hand knowlege of the situation and the above is based solely on what I have seen on-line elsewhere

Neptune262
23rd Feb 2012, 15:56
Well this comes from the Franfurt Airport web page:

"As a result of a strike conducted by the German union for air traffic controllers (GdF) until Wednesday, February 22, passengers should still expect further flight cancellations at Frankfurt Airport today."

I saw the same page say that the strike would be on until Friday, earlier this week, so does that mean the industrial action has now finished? How are the operations there today?