PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Scottish

maxdrypower
17th Feb 2012, 14:39
Quick thanks to the nice young lady in the scottish sector between WAL and Rokup last week . I requested descent due to turning into a snowball, she laughed and said she would love to see that , then gave me required descent . Well heres apic of the unheated portion of the windscreen prior to going down.
Thanks guys and gals keep up the good work , will speak to you tonight
399869_10150558783848964_537018963_9050512_174301220_n | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/76839927@N07/6891753047/in/photostream)

fisbangwollop
17th Feb 2012, 18:59
I will point your post in the direction of our West 2 (Ex Manchester) sector...it's always good for the boys and girls to hear their work is appreciated. :cool:

ZOOKER
17th Feb 2012, 19:17
Awesome photograph.
What route/level/aircraft-type was that and what were the met conditions at the time? I'm sure the NATS 'safety-meisters' will be interested to hear your story, for inclusion in TRUCE sessions.
Safe flying.

Heliads
17th Feb 2012, 21:45
A Piper Chieftan?

mad_jock
17th Feb 2012, 23:00
To be honest zooker its not that uncommon its just that those of us that work in those levels ie FL100-FL200 don't make that much fuss about it until the props ice is banging off the hull.

Its just like with tasty directs over multiple sectors I always like to say how much fuel we have just saved due to the hard work of the controller getting it for us.

I have had a few times "how much" when I have told them "you have just taken half of ton off our fuel burn" which was down to scottish controller jigging us up with an east coast routing to St Abbs instead of foyle down the west and back across to the east from Wick.

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Feb 2012, 05:33
As said, it is very common, at those levels, and with respect the boots will not fuction properly, there is little or no screen heat.

Under powered, over loaded, no heater, thermos for coffee, coke bottle for relief.....no AP.

Yes ATC were always very accomodating, was crossing the lake district, worst ice was there....

Once actually ran down the west coast, to stay below 1000ft..... as there was no way we could maintain MSA, at night just before Xmas..many years ago....

2000 hrs on UK night ops.

Loved it,

glf

ps: add the next line:

There was a young lady from Scotish who........

chiglet
18th Feb 2012, 22:28

On her broomstick to Prestwick she flew....

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Feb 2012, 08:58
On her broomstick to Prestwick she flew....

Is it clear on top she asked, it looks so blue.....

glf

maxdrypower
19th Feb 2012, 09:53
Fishbw , cheers for that , zooker / heli , yep PA31 routing was EIDW-EGNX FL110 mostly imc but icing only came around WAL . As glf said it really isnt a problem at this time of year its normal , yep overloaded rubbish heater etc . Its just part of it all. Normally the deicing boots will not work when they have been cold soaking for 35 mins at that FL so just let it build then make a decisiOn as to when to descend , it would only becOme a safety issue if descent was refused , but this has never happened nor do i believe it ever would , so alls good just another night of single pilot plodding along , so spare us a thought when talking to the airline lads and lasses in their nice warm flight decks as we are sat on our todds freezing dressed up like we are off on a nordic campaign drinking thermos coffee. But most challenging rewarding and enjoyeable flying in the uk imho . And you troops in scottish are always a pleasure , take care

mad_jock
19th Feb 2012, 10:19
trying not to teach you to suck eggs but..

I find that if I give the boots a right good blast through before cold soaking the airframe it shifts all the water out of the pipes and stops them freezing up once everything is cold soaked.

scotbill
19th Feb 2012, 13:29
There was a young lady from Scottish who -
On her broomstick to Prestwick she flew;
Her principal bitch
Was that even a witch
Pays route charges and landing fees too.

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Feb 2012, 13:40
Re pre operation of the boots, mostly the aircraft was prepared at 23 dark thirty, and already well below zero so no blowing mosture out of the lines.
New boots, YES, old boots most improbable.

Mad Jock: Most 31's have more bicycle patches on the boots than Goodrich supplied rubber.
Good pressure YES, average NO.

I flew a wet winged PA31 for a while, (as well as HS125, wet wings too), a pleasure to operate in icing. ( G-ICED ?????)

The PA31 is not approved for flight in severe icing, so as already mentioned, when it looks like a snowball, it will fly like a snowball.

When MP is at the max you are warm and fuzzy with and still no respite, then max MP and descent is the only option.

Consider a flapless landing too.....

Best flying I ever experiences, the lounge in EMA was always full of night flyers, (not the Moscow ladies). fantastic fun.

The GLF is boring.....

Glf

maxdrypower
19th Feb 2012, 20:02
Yep Glf currently it is normally dark of the clock when Preparing the ac . MJ, no egg sucking involved all advise in this game is always received well , i'm not RYR , but aside from the usual de-ice checks prior to depsrture when in freezing imc i tend to cycle boots 3 or 4 times in the climb for that very purpose . That said as glf pointed out they generally leak like sieves anyway and 30 mins at alt will normallly freeze them up good whatever you do . That said we all know this when operating such craft and like most AOC's we cope admirably , and when we dont the nice atc people let us come down to where it toastie and alls well , glf boring it may be but ill bet your pay check looks betterthan when you flew a chiefy :-) need any crew ????

Gulfstreamaviator
20th Feb 2012, 05:11
Currently in sandy bottom, and the only ice is in the adult beverages.

Yes pay check is better, but to be honest, provided the check actually clears, with all things being equal, I would consider PA31 BE200 back in Blighty, but Mr CAA does not like OLD Fart$ flying Single Pilot, night flying...dont know why.!!!!!!
I miss the actual flying, handling the aircraft, not pressing button labeled: tea / coffee / me.

Take care.

glf