PDA

View Full Version : Squawk Ident

renard
17th Feb 2012, 09:45
Another squawk ident question.

Flying out of London City, Tower hand us over to Thames who want a squawk ident.

I can understand this is to identify us.

We then go to London who often, but not always, ask to squawk ident.

Why do London need it? They are in the same control room as Thames, I think, and Thames have already identified us.

When we go to other units later in the flight e.g. Scottish, Amsterdam etc they do not ask to squawk.

Talkdownman
17th Feb 2012, 10:13
Force of habit, probably. TC is probably so used to getting most London TMA departures straight 'off the deck' that they probably forget that some of them have already worked 'TinPot Radar'. Remember, Thames Radar was not always in the same Ops Room so perhaps it was a case of 'out-of-sight, out-of mind'. Hopefully the 'disowned orphan' has finally been permanently adopted and embraced within the fold...

Vortex Issues
17th Feb 2012, 10:23
London don't need to for city departures except 09 BPK and CPT dep. London probably do it out of habit as most departures in the London TMA are transferred to them from the towers after departure and not to the approach sector exceptions being

KK: Wizard, Tiger and 08 SFD
LL: 09 CPT
SS: All westerly deps
GW: 08 Olney and CPT
LC: All work thames except 09 BPK and CPT

renard
17th Feb 2012, 10:30
Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

2 sheds
17th Feb 2012, 17:31
One is tempted to ask the same question of Cardiff and Bristol in respect of Filton departures! :E

2 s

M609
17th Feb 2012, 17:34
For the love of all that is holy....why the need to ident in the first place? Itīs not like you work on 70s equipment without FDPS right?

.....no wonder the Luddites emerged in the UK...... ;););)

BwatchGRUNT
17th Feb 2012, 18:46
sometimes the autoDM does not work and therefore an IDENT is the quickest way to kickstart the PC and radar pairing

Defruiter
17th Feb 2012, 19:03
On the subject, don't squawk ident unless you have been asked to do so - So many crews these days call up identing. You're only formally identified when an ident is observed after a request to do it. I'm sure it's because pilots think they are probably helping out, but it all comes down to a technicality. :ok: