PDA

View Full Version : Renewing MEP rating

cambioso
15th Feb 2012, 17:19
Hi all.
I wish to renew my MEP rating. It expired 6 years ago, so I understand that I have to attend an approved school to get it back. I have 2,000 hrs+ multi piston time and need to find a suitable school where I can complete the exercise with the minimum time (and cost!).
Any suggestions please?
Regards,
Jez

Whopity
15th Feb 2012, 18:05
What do you intend to fly? Might be better to do the renewal which includes the Class rating theoretical exam on the type you intend to fly or you will need differences training as well! You will need to find an FTO with that aircraft type.

cambioso
15th Feb 2012, 18:55
Whaaaat?!!
I just want to renew (what used to be) my twin rating to fly privately............

Talkdownman
15th Feb 2012, 19:40
Jezza,

I take it you've read all the MEP renewal what-to-do bumpff in LASORS Sect F P.18.
Pop down the M40 to Wycombe and go fly the Tecnam P2006T with Tim Orchard (http://www.tecnamuk.com/). Quick pole-about, skills test etc Hey Presto.

Then go buy your Baron... ;)

you owe me
love and kisses
Grumpy

cambioso
15th Feb 2012, 20:24
That's more like it! Thanks Grumps!

Whopity
15th Feb 2012, 23:10
Then go buy your Baron...And before you can exercise your MEP privileges at PPL or any other level on it you have to complete differences training on it! Welcome to European rules.
JAR-FCL 1.235 soon to become Part FCL.710(c) Variants. If the variant has not been
flown within a period of 2 years following the
differences training, further differences training
or a proficiency check in that variant will be
required except for types or variants within the
SEP class rating.FCL.710 Class and type ratings — variants
(a) In order to extend his/her privileges to another variant of aircraft within one class or type rating, the pilot shall undertake differences or familiarisation training. In the case of variants within a type rating, the differences or familiarisation training shall include the relevant elements defined in the operational suitability data established in accordance with Part-21.

Hence my original advice.

flybymike
15th Feb 2012, 23:20
I think all that Bumf could have been abbreviated to "quick pole-about and skills test."

BillieBob
16th Feb 2012, 09:00
Welcome to European rules.Under which, since your MEP rating has expired by more than 3 years, you will be required to complete the full MEP class rating course again. Best to get the "quick pole-about and skills test (actually proficiency check)" and the theoretical knowledge examination (because the rating has expired by more than 5 years) done before the new rules come into force.

Talkdownman
16th Feb 2012, 09:44
since your MEP rating has expired by more than 3 years, you will be required to complete the full MEP class rating course again
Whaaaat? The whole nine yards? After only three years?

mad_jock
16th Feb 2012, 09:56
Does it make any difference if you have been flying twins but not pistons in the mean time?

S-Works
16th Feb 2012, 10:37
Drop me a PM. I can do it for you.

BillieBob
16th Feb 2012, 11:04
Does it make any difference if you have been flying twins but not pistons in the mean time?Apparently not; it is the validity of the class or type rating that matters, not any other experience you may have gained in the meantime.

The hard law is in FCL.740:
(b) Renewal. If a class or type rating has expired, the applicant shall:
(1) take refresher training at an ATO, when necessary to reach the level of proficiency necessary to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft.Currently the only acceptable means of complying with this law is in AMC1 FCL.740(b)(1):
(3)...
(i)...
(ii)...
(iii)...
(iv) expiry longer than 3 years: the applicant should again undergo the training required for the initial issue of the rating....

Of course, it is always possible for anyone to propose an alternative means of compliance to the competent authority but, until that is done and accepted, this will remain the only acceptable means.

mad_jock
16th Feb 2012, 11:16
So what would you need to do for an SEP?

Fuji Abound
16th Feb 2012, 11:33
Isnt this in some sort of banal recognition that twins are more complex? Originally they were and it was sound doctrine at the time, but its not such a hard and fast rule these days. You can "jump" from a Cirrus to a DA40 as long as you have a "glass endorsement" without type training (even if you would be reasonably stupid and probably would not get insurance) but you cant "jump" from a Aztec to a DA42. In reality in terms of differences I doubt there is much between the two. If you have flown enough types mind you I dont think there is anything intrinsically complex in terms of handling or technical differences that would mean with a comprenhensive self brief you couldnt make the transition without difference training but even then an hour with someone current wouldnt be such a bad thing. On the other hand even with tail wheel experience I would wager most would struggle to "hop" into an Extra without some time on type.

flybymike
16th Feb 2012, 12:33
As MJ has suggested, that would seem to indicate that an SEP rating expired by only three years would require a full SEP PPL course all over again...Crazy if correct.

BillieBob
16th Feb 2012, 16:48
It is not, and never has been necessary to complete the PPL course in order to obtain an SEP class rating. However, since the SEP class rating is implicit in the PPL, there has seldom, if ever, been a need for a separate SEP class rating course, which is not to say that one could not be approved.

cambioso
21st Feb 2012, 16:42
Did the MEP and SP IR renewal with Tim on the Tecnam Twin at Booker today.
Lovely aircraft, very reasonable price, and a completely painless (I think Tim's losing his touch!!) experience.
Thanks Tim, I really enjoyed it, and what a lovely little a/c that Tecnam is!
Regards,
Jez

Talkdownman
21st Feb 2012, 19:17
Good steer then, Jezza?
Was it "Quick pole-about, skills test etc Hey Presto" after all....?

you owe me
love and kisses
Grumps

cambioso
21st Feb 2012, 20:28
Thanks Malcie, yes it was very efficient, and ticked all the boxes.
Regards,
Jezza