PDA

View Full Version : PPL training London

wolf_peace87
14th Feb 2012, 22:13
Can someone suggest me some schools in London or around this area. I want to get my SPL and PPL.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

BroomstickPilot
15th Feb 2012, 09:27
Hi Wolf,

London is a vast place and is ringed with aerodromes.

Which ones you choose to consider will depend on where in London you are living.

If you give us some idea of your location, we can more easily suggest some good places.

BroomstickPilot.

Whopity
15th Feb 2012, 11:31
Bear in mind that this is the year of the Olympics so flying around the London area is not going to be as straight forward as normal and London is probably the most expensive part of the UK. There is no such thing as a SPL, all solo flight is flown on the basis of a Medical Certificate.

average-punter
15th Feb 2012, 20:43
Blackbushe is fairly accessible down the A30.

Old n Airborne
15th Feb 2012, 22:46
Try Stapleford, but if your new to looking for flying schools;-

1) Get an idea of when they are NOT busy and make that the day for lessons,
2) Stick with the same instructor as they have differing standards ;-)
3) Nothing is cheap in aviation, so shop around, beg, borrow, but never steal.
4) If of a large frame, a C150/152 will have you elbowing the instructor in the face, choose a PA28!
5) Get the instructor to PLAN your lessons in advance, dont just turn up without knowing what you should have being preparing to do, but legislate for changes.
6) If you take a day off work, 2 or 3 lessons broken up over a day is more benificial, but talk to your instructor first.

Weekends will be full for months if your unlucky, despite the state of the economy there are still plenty of students out there mainly on CPL routes.

Try a smaller airfield for availability and DO! shop around. Stapleford have discounts for pre-payments as im a former student.

But be prepared for frustrations if you can only do weekends, other than that book a flight to Florida and do it there.

Good Luck!