PDA

View Full Version : Airfields near Worcester

niallg123
14th Feb 2012, 12:04
Hi All, classic long time reader first writer post...

I recently obtained my PPL license at Elstree. I, however, live and work in Worcester. Whilst learning I was happy to travel back for lessons as I liked the school and my instructor, and I felt that consistency was important.

Now I am qualified, it seems a little bit daft to keep doing this, especially with the up-coming airspace restrictions for the Olympics and added cost of fuel for the car.

So... I have probably over done the background but my question is - Are there any airfields near Worcester that offer a similar atmosphere to Elstree?

Having done a quick search: The forum throws up a thread for Worcester (Best airfield for Worcester [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-227658.html)) but was posted back in 2006 - any new information?

And a quick google: It seems that Gloucester appears alot, but I would prefer a smaller GA field and one a little closer.

Sorry for the length of post for what should be a simple question... I talk to much.

Speedy23
14th Feb 2012, 13:34
What about Bidford?

stevelup
14th Feb 2012, 13:45
I recently obtained my PPL license at Elstree. I, however, live and work in Worcester. Whilst learning I was happy to travel back for lessons as I liked the school and my instructor, and I felt that consistency was important.

Wow - what a commute!

And a quick google: It seems that Gloucester appears alot, but I would prefer a smaller GA field and one a little closer.

Gloucester is absolutely fantastic and less than half an hour from you. I would definitely consider it.

Croft Farm (Defford) (http://www.defford-croftfarm.co.uk/) is a lovely little strip and only about 5 miles from you.

TRPGpilot
14th Feb 2012, 16:09
Wellsbourne Airfield near Stratford upon Avon is worth the drive. Hard runway, friendly AFIS.

Midland Transport
14th Feb 2012, 16:25
Wolverhampton Halfpenny Green is about 30 mins from Worcester. Flying Clubs and Training facilities plus an NDB and DME. 3 runways but restricted opening hours ie 09.00-1700.

niallg123
15th Feb 2012, 08:34
Perhaps I need to work on my googling!

Would love to fly from somewhere like Defford but aircraft hire is a must for the moment unfortunately.

Bidford again looks very nice but seems rather more focused towards gliding.

Will definitely give Wellsbourne and Halfpenny a call they seem to fit my bill!

That's great, thank you for all the suggestions! :)

Whopity
15th Feb 2012, 10:47
Don't forget Shobden about the same distance to the West.

stevelup
15th Feb 2012, 10:48
Don't forget Shobden about the same distance to the West.Horrendous drive from Worcester though isn't it?

gyrotyro
15th Feb 2012, 11:00
Bidford has a very active fixed wing fleet. I would not dismiss it out of hand. Perhaps you should drop over and check it out, it is not far for you.

Dave Gittins
15th Feb 2012, 12:20
gyrotyro - You would or you wouldn't ?

goldeneaglepilot
15th Feb 2012, 12:35
Defford is without doubt closer and about the same amount of fixed wing as Bidford. Gloucester is the quickest to get to for rental, Shobdon about 1hr 15min, HG about 1hr, and Gloucester about 45 min.

If it was your own aircraft then lots of Flying Farmer Strips within 15 minutes of Worcester.

Defford and Bidford are grass and do get muddy in winter.

Humaround
15th Feb 2012, 16:41
Defford not at all muddy this winter!

The OP needs to rent, so Defford and Bidford are not really an option. Gloucester (easy drive down the M5) or Halfpenny Green. Or Wellesbourne.

edited to say Gloucester is the closest to Worcester, and though it's a bit bigger, it's v friendly and there is a good choice of rentals.

Sir George Cayley
15th Feb 2012, 17:22
You'll struggle to find Shobden as it's spelt Shobdon. There have been some issues with the volume of dissimilar circuit traffic (or sumfink like that) but I'm sure that's been sorted.

I'd go and check a few of these out. If you were prepared to schlep all the way to north London then any of the above are just round the corner. I'm sure you're aware that it's the ambiance, the fleet, the instructors and fellow club members that are all important parts of the decision making process.

Good luck anyway.

SGC

goldeneaglepilot
15th Feb 2012, 17:50
The best strip of all at Worcester stopped being used about 18 years ago - Grange Farm, near Broadheath. 800m x30 grass rolled and mowed at least twice a week in the summer - the farmer loved watching flying, his wife was chair of the local planning committee so no problems until she resigned...

Monocock
15th Feb 2012, 18:12
Hanley William

niallg123
16th Feb 2012, 11:57
Thanks all for the great feedback, I should have stated that renting is a must, perhaps I should start saving for a share... As the farm strips pointed out look like the kind of place I would love to fly and dawdle at over a summer! Unfortunately I am a 'little' way of getting into the position of ownership! :O

Forgive me if I am being a dope but all I can see on the web from Bidford is a tail dragger tug and motor glider - I am used to C150/2. Not to say I don't want to expand on what I can fly - but for the moment I was just looking for something with a fleet similar to Firecrest (Elstree) with the standard Cessna's just to get a bit more flying time under my belt.

So seems like Gloucester, Halfpenny and Wellesbourne have topped my list for everything that is needed. I shall give them a call or a drop in this weekend to get some details.
Thanks again.

matspart3
16th Feb 2012, 22:57
Niall...check your PM's