PDA

View Full Version : Instructing at 55

09 Right
13th Feb 2012, 15:05
Good afternoon all,

I am after some general advice really about whether is is feasible/sensible to consider taking up instructing at 53+. I have a PPL, IMC and Night Qualification with about 250 TT SEP. I am 50 and in the fortunate position (by todays standards!) of being able to consider retirement from a management consultancy career.

I would like to be in a position where I could put something back into Aviation which has been a passion since childhood and have therefore been considering whether instructing could be a viable option for me. I have spent many years providing training and coaching in other settings and very much enjoy helping others achieve their goals.

I recognise I would a CPL (to be paid) and an FI rating as well as a Class 1 medical. I suppose some of my questions are:

Is this a viable option for me at my age?
Would schools/clubs be interested in hiring me, particularly given my experience will be limited compared to many?
Has any one else out there taken a similar step and do you have any advice?
I appreciate any comments will need caveats regarding ability etc but I would appreciate any comments, good or otherwise to help me form a view.

Thanks in advance for your comments

Duchess_Driver
13th Feb 2012, 15:12
I was in a similar position although a little younger when I got the 'bad news' from my boss that my services were no longer required.

Never looked back!

Each case is different, as you say, but most CFI's I know would be interested in what you can offer their schools in terms of life experience and people skills. At those sorts of hours you've got a bit more than your average 'integrated' hour builder and probably that experience will have come from a broader spectrum of situations.

Age wise.... you've got a lot of years left in you as far as aviation in concerned. Go for it.

bingofuel
13th Feb 2012, 15:15
If aviation is a passion, and you really want to teach and give the time and effort to your students.....go for it.

It sounds like your motives are well suited to instructing, you are not planning to instruct just for hour building to go elsewhere, if you are retired you are well placed to be an asset to a club/school.

In some ways your age is of benefit, maturity, experience etc

what next
13th Feb 2012, 15:22
Is this a viable option for me at my age?

Certainly. I know quite a few instructors and examiners who are 75 and older, so you have almost 25 years ahead of you - a whole career! Many pilots begin instructing only after their active career is over, at 58, 60 or 65 depending on country and airline.

Would schools/clubs be interested in hiring me, particularly given my experience will be limited compared to many?

I don't know what the situation is in the UK, but here in Germany most instructors are freelancers who instruct beside another job or after retirement. Instructing on freelance basis should be no problem at all, and you will have the big advantage to be very flexible with your time.

chrisbl
13th Feb 2012, 18:45
Did it myself and got my FI rating at 54. I have never enjoyed my flying as much and it makes a difference having a purpose to it.

EASA will allow PPLs to be paid so the CPL is not necessary although CPL knowledge is.

Go for it!

Aware
13th Feb 2012, 19:08
Don't think age is an issue, some the best instructors I have flown with are over 70.

Not sure CPL is necessary or FI why not CRI to see how you get on, you will need 300 hrs for that. And course is much shorter, With a PPL FI you will be able to teach the new LAPL, and be paid, but I personally don't think there will be much work for that licence, unless medical issues present. Never seen many NPPLs and nobody who could it in 32 hours.

Otherwise the cost will be quite high:

Class 1 Circa £400
Exams £2500
CPL £7500
FI £7000

Total £17400.00 That includes tests and aircraft hire.

To earn average of £15 - £20 per hour. I have done the same after being made redundant at 40.

Now 47 run other business Monday - Thursday instruct Fridays. Done 1000 hrs instructing added IMC instructor night instructor and ground instructor.

Instructing can be rewarding, but if you have experience in industry you will get quite frustrated at how PPL instructing works, you tend to be abused by the schools knowing they can pay you little, some schools are paying 30.00 a day even if you fly 6 hours.

Some students are a pleasure to teach, some will take away a little piece of you when they ve finished.

Its hard work, you will get to the point where you wonder what you're putting back into the industry. As you will feel everybody is taking advantage of you.

But Im continuing as I love the flying, and I love the interaction with the students, going to add a flight examiner rating in due course, but you must have a good supplementary income as the pay is so poor, a vocation it has to be: but with all the above in mind Id have a go, makes you a very competent pilot.

Work is hard to find at present, and with the implementation of EASA and RTFs going there will be fewer schools post 2015 without a doubt.

In summary when you start to fly other than as a PPL essentially pleasing yourself, another set of rules applies, its not so much about the flying, its all about the student and how best to get then through the course, and make them a very competent pilot, and push them onto the next goal, exam or solo or QXC etc, thats the bit which is draining sometimes, but with management experience that should be no problem. Its quite different than a trip to the coast on a summers afternoon, its after all work, and really hard some days.

'India-Mike
13th Feb 2012, 19:43
Do it. You won't regret it. Just don't wait. Get started now.

Enjoy:ok:

dobbin1
15th Feb 2012, 07:47
With a PPL FI you will be able to teach the new LAPL
I don't think PPL instructors will be restricted to the LAPL - they will be able to instruct for the full PPL, and be paid.

S-Works
15th Feb 2012, 09:17
Do people really live that long........ :p:p

mrmum
15th Feb 2012, 17:54
I don't think PPL instructors will be restricted to the LAPL - they will be able to instruct for the full PPL, and be paid.
AIUI if you hold a PPL with CPL TK and FI rating then you will be able to be paid to instruct for the EASA PPL. If you haven't demonstrated CPL TK, then it's just instructing for the LAPL.

Mickey Kaye
15th Feb 2012, 18:03
Err thats just stupid

Where is the evidence based safety for this?

Genghis the Engineer
15th Feb 2012, 18:12
Where is the evidence based safety for this?

Same place as much of EASA's decision making.

G

BEagle
15th Feb 2012, 18:44
AIUI if you hold a PPL with CPL TK and FI rating then you will be able to be paid to instruct for the EASA PPL. If you haven't demonstrated CPL TK, then it's just instructing for the LAPL.

Correct. Which will not bring much happiness to wannabe airline co-pilots struggling to repay the cost of their fATPL training.....

There is NO safety issue here. A PPL with a lot of practical experience will be of far greater real world value to the PPL training industry than someone who has merely completed CPL and FI training....

09 Right
16th Feb 2012, 18:50
Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement. I have no doubts about the hard work and commitment required and have had the pleasure of being instructed by consistently good instructors.

I had heard about the PPL instructor remuneration possibility but I thought it had been lost. I was too busy wondering what would happen to my IMC!

Anyway, thanks everyone again. I'll let you know when I get started

foxmoth
16th Feb 2012, 19:07
As far as getting a job goes, you have the advantage that schools know you will not be there for a year and then heading for the Airlines, so a definite plus there:ok:

mixture
17th Feb 2012, 14:07
Certainly. I know quite a few instructors and examiners who are 75 and older, so you have almost 25 years ahead of you - a whole career! Many pilots begin instructing only after their active career is over, at 58, 60 or 65 depending on country and airline.

Agreed !

Is Mr Thurbin still going strong at EGTB ? He was already quite mature way back when he did my PPL exam..... (statement made in a positive way, he simply oozed experience !).