PDA

View Full Version : Jet Airways "Supernumerary" Landed Jet--not reported

NWstu
13th Feb 2012, 01:31
Tempest in a teapot or a real danger let one with such experience "occupy the right seat for the landing"? Link (http://www.livemint.com/2012/02/13005825/Jet-flouted-safety-norms-will.html?h=B)

“About four months back, Jet Airways captain Sheikh Ahmed was operating a flight into Mumbai along with F/O (flight officer) Khajuria (co-pilot). There was a supernumerary pilot on board. I understand that the captain asked the first officer to vacate his seat and he permitted the supernumerary pilot to occupy the right seat for the landing,” said the 5 February complaint. “This is a very serious violation and endangers the lives of all on board. I understand Khajuria gave a written complaint. There appears to be an intervention from someone to soften the action against the captain, who was merely suspended for three months and is now back to flying as a captain.”

A supernumerary pilot has usually only flown a single-engine Cessna 172, which has a gross weight of about 1,000kg, and is not trained to fly a modern twin-engine jets such as the Boeing 737-800 that weighs about 79,000kg.

A supernumerary pilot is not equipped to handle even a minor emergency without training.

leftseatview
13th Feb 2012, 02:59
Every pilot strats his/her career from a small a/c.
The Supernumerary would have already flown the larger A/C in a 6 axis simulator and also done a few landings on the actual A/C during a company familiarization flt(Without PAX on board)
On completion of the required hours of Supernumerary flying(which might already have been the case)He would have been in fact officially doing what is alleged to have been done.That is fly from the right seat with a company training Capt on the left seat..and a safety pilot(An experienced first officer)riding on the supernumerary seat.The training sylabus requires the safety pilot only on the first few flts....thereafter if the Capt is to become incapacitated in flt, this same "Supernumerary" till a few flying hours ago is expected to land the a/c safely.So one has to keep in perspective the profesional spirit with which line Capts let rookie first officers fly and build up hands on experience.
While it appears that this particular training was not authorized..hence the punative action.
people need to realize that it is definatly not like the case of the Aeroflot pilot who let his son fly an Airbus 310 ,and could not prevent it from crashing and killing all on board.(due to only one auto pilot chanel disengaged)

Checkboard
13th Feb 2012, 09:22
The supernumerary flights are part of the learning process to observe and get used to the speed of events before undergoing simulator training.

The other major factor is that there are mandatory call-outs on final approaches that a co-pilot has to give. The untrained pilot will not be in a position to do that, nor will the person be able to spot any deviations from a safe flight path.
(From the linked livemint (http://www.livemint.com/2012/02/13005825/Jet-flouted-safety-norms-will.html?h=B) article - my bolding)

.. so it seems this was a supernumerary flight before endorsement training.

Tommy Tilt
13th Feb 2012, 10:06
Given the publicly reported facts that Jet Airways has the most drunk pilots in India, the passengers on this flight can be thankful that neither of the pilots were intoxicated during this illegal event – ref link below:-

57 pilots found drunk on duty in '09-10, 11 lost jobs - Times Of India (http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-03-11/india/28679400_1_drunk-pilots-alliance-air-market-leader-jet)

Even the most basic of company Operations Manual dictates the training requirements of a supernumerary pilot, if and when they can occupy the right hand seat. The Operations Manual is a legislative (DGCA) approved, legal document that states company policy. Had there been any incident involving the aircraft, as simple as a jet blasted empty container causing damage, an investigation would have been conducted, the cockpit seat occupants revealed and the insurance nullified because the right hand seat occupant was not supposed to be there!

Safety issues and non-compliance with regulations seems rife within the Jet Airways “organization”. A search of this website will reveal numerous other incidents. However, these matters should come as no surprise. Jet Airways employed and has entrenched in a senior management position, Mr. Hamid Ali, formerly the A320 “Chief Pilot” at Gulf Air. Mr. Ali told the BBC that he rejected pilot error was behind the GF072 crash – ref link below:-

BBC News | MIDDLE EAST | Gulf Air improves offer (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/910743.stm)

Clearly, Mr. Ali is one the greatest masters of denial in aviation whose only talent is to hold clandestine meetings with brown-nosing, expatriate 777 Captains and keep the local Indian pilots obedient to his Goyal approved policies.

Unfortunately, it is only a matter of time before there is a serious, pilot error incident involving a Jet Airways aircraft, which Mr. Ali, no doubt, will deny.

flyjet787
13th Feb 2012, 10:47
The Trainee who was allowed to land the 737 had nothing but 200 odd hours on a C-152/172. He did not undergo any training on a 737 simulator and does not posses any kind of Jet or Turbo Prop experience.

Whats really absurd is that even after knowing about this incident the Chiefs of flight safety and Operations did not report this incident to the DGCA. Especially under the current circumstances when the DGCA has been scrutinizing every airlines even for the smallest of small incidents.

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 10:50
Frankly… over the years, I’ve had supies more knowledgeable and motivated than some F/O’s and captains I’ve flown with. I would love to read the F/O’s report. It’s probably an essay on a parallel with the Times of India.

The F/O who was in the in the jump seat could handle the R/T and read the checklist without hindrance. The supy, who was presumably in the right seat could manage the gear and flaps and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Supies from every carrier read the check list, complete the paperwork and manage the R/T too. I'm sure when the F/O was a supy, he did the same from the jump seat too.

So, where’s the danger or the drama than the captain possibly becoming incapacitated at 50’ above the ground?

At the end of the day, was it proper judgment on behalf of the captain to allow the supy occupy the right seat? No.

Was there enough of a dangerous situation looming that caused the F/O to rat the captain out? Who knows.

I’m sure that F/O will be welcomed with open arms by the captains he flies with:suspect::E:yuk:. I can only hope, for his sake, the F/O is up on all his SOPs:=.

flyjet787 says The Trainee who was allowed to land the 737 had nothing but 200 odd hours on a C-152/172. He did not undergo any training on a 737 simulator and does not posses any kind of Jet or Turbo Prop experience.

Here's the exerpt from the livemint.com (WSJ)

"I understand that the captain asked the first officer to vacate his seat and he permitted the supernumerary pilot to occupy the right seat for the landing,” said the 5 February complaint."

The supy was only occupying the right seat and not acting as the flying pilot.

An opinion from an expert:rolleyes:... probably from an airline, which shall remain nameless, subidised by the government.

An expert said the landing by a trainee pilot was an extremely serious offence that should result in the firing of the officials involved and the airline should be severely reprimanded.

Misleads the readers the supy was flying the jet.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 11:40
JNS!

It really does not matter if he was PM or PF.

The chap was not type rated and occupied an operating seat during a revenue flight, further he was in that seat during landing.....

I'm amazed that you can defend such action on a public forum.

It was an illegal act that was unsafe, there is a reason your supposed to have TWO type rated, line qualified pilots at the controls of a MPA.

Denti
13th Feb 2012, 11:58
Usually something like that should lead to an incident report to the relevant authority and a case of "reckless and careless" endangering the passengers which in turn would lead to a pulled license. And rightly so. Yes, the supernumary had some limited flying experience in slow and lightweight aircraft, that doesn't really train him to operate in a jet even as PM without quite a bit of additional training (jet conversion course, type rating, base training). However, one has to wonder why the FO vacated his seat when being asked by the captain and thus allow this farce to play out.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 12:02
I agree! I just can't get over how people are defending the action... Making out it was not a big deal!

Also the fact the company covered up this information when it came to light, shows they are not following their SMS system... A key requirement of holding an AOC and passing an IOSA audit to be a member of IATA.

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 12:11
PT6A... I'm not defending the captain the F/O, nor the supy. I forgot to ask as to whether or not the captain was a trainer.

In any case, however, the supy should not occupy any seat while the aircraft is off block, until such time that person has successfully completed their traininging and checks I/A/W the company's FTOM.

Without question, the first officer should have refused to give up his seat. If the discussion between he and his captain became heated, he could have pulled the CVR CB once on station and requested a download of the conversation, and let the facts and voice transcription speak for themselves.

It's worked in the past too. Better than he said, she said.

caulfield
13th Feb 2012, 12:30
Actually,the problem is much bigger than it appears.Not only should the supernumerary not be in the seat below 100 but..Jet airways doesnt train its regular co-pilots(ie already signed off) how to land the plane or even fly an approach outside the LNAV/VNAV profile with AP engaged.So even with a regular co-pilot(newish say < 500 hrs),the problem of Captain incapacitation is a very moot point.They train them in SOP's,how to load the FMC,fly the magenta line and handle the RT and that is all!So any unsuspecting expat Captain is de facto a trainer but he doesnt know it...And if you willingly accept your new unpaid position as line trainer andlet these signed-off co-pilots fly and they get into trouble(ie high,fast,unstable) YOU will be called in to Mumbai for a chat and called unsafe.Ironic isnt it?Their use of FDM is unscrupulous without any acknowledgment on their part that the root problem is that THEY havent trained them properly to begin with!!:ugh:Furthermore,I never saw a co-pilot able to handle the V1 cut scenario properly and safely in the simulator.And anything more complex than the V1 cut,you can totally forget about.But they all passed.Go figure.;)

The only thing that keeps Jet flying safely is the Captain's heartbeat,the magenta line,George and the reliability of Boeing's products.The passengers are all blissfully unaware.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 12:40
Says it all really...

4.2.2 Seat Occupancy

Flight deck crewmembers are to occupy their assigned duty stations from the time the aircraft first starts to move at the beginning of its flight until it is established in the level cruise, and from the time it begins its descent on approaching the destination until the aircraft is stationary on its allocated parking stand at the end of the flight. All operating flight crewmembers must occupy their normal seat positions and there must be two fully type rated pilots at the controls, one of whom must be the Commander.
All flight crew seats must be correctly adjusted to the optimum vision and full reach for operation of all controls. A positive check must be made that each seat locking mechanism is fully and correctly locked, both before take-off and before landing.
In level cruise, any one flight crewmember may, with the permission of the Commander; leave his assigned station for an agreed purpose and period.

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 12:41
Sounds like you got the "T" shirt Caulfield.

A number of these chappies and chappettes, from time to time and from round the world need to remdined:

The purpose of the runway is not for a CFIT event.

Land within 500' of the T/D zone... this side, not the far end of the runway.

I don't like to see the cenerline from either side window during landing.

In all fairness to the newbies they don't have the opportunity to build their consistency. The more they fly the better they'll get. Hand flying is the key without the automatics. Overtime it improves situational awareness and they will lose the monica "Children of the Magenta Line".:ok:

Newly released captains, can't give any legs to F/Os until they themselves have 1,000 hours in the left seat. Can you imagine what life is like for these poor kids at the smaller bases?:{

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 12:45
That said, PT6A, in your opinion, do you feel all parties, the Skipper, the F/O, and Supy should be dismissed?

Not to split hairs with you PT6A, but is your citation from the Jet Airways Company Operations Manual?

If the document you have cited is as such, or copied is from the 9W COM, it is therfore an approved document from the DGCA, which becomes tantamount a DGCA Regulation. COMs are company specific, and can't be applied to any other carrier.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 12:56
JNS,

I would go further than what you suggest...

Someone in the flight safety department should be for the high jump, the most serious part of this "incident" is the fact it was hidden and not reported.

That is a VERY bad culture within the airline.

As for the pilots, they should have some sort of punishment that is for sure... As to what that should be I will leave to the regulator.

Again, the most serious part of this incident is the company hiding it.. proving they dont have a "safety culture" or a "just culture"

J77
13th Feb 2012, 13:02
It is absolutely bizarre that people are trying to justify this act. It is absolutely unethical and a VIOLATION of all legalities and procedures to allow anyone not qualified to be in the seat when not authorized.

This shows the level of tolerance that pilots have to regulations. Pilots are willing to 'bend' rules when it suits them. I do not think they understand the implications of an incident/accident in such a situation. There were days when this practice prevailed. But those days are long gone (10-15 years ago) wherein better 'professionalism' started entering the flight deck. When this happened in the past people quickly changed seats back or made callouts that were appropriate to the seat. Why dis people do it? Simply becuase they could and got away with it. Those days are long gone and now a days the modern DFDR and CVR are able to record all that happens irrespective of seat position. Do we require such deterrants to stop this kind of action or are we going to be responsible enough to know that this is unacceptable? This is not an error but a VIOLATION and should have been dealt accordingly. 3 months off the roster is definitely not enough deterrent for a people that bend rules. The message from management is not loud enough for the crime.

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 13:04
PT6A, is it of your opinion that opinion is not limited solely to 9W?

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 16:07
Of course JNS, this incident is about 9W... But I would feel the same about any airline that acted in this way.

The actual incident well... Is naughty but not the end of the world... What is a much larger problem is the way in which the company safety department hid it from the regulator.

This is clear evidence their Operations Manual and documented safety process are not being followed... (These prosesses are the foundation upon which an AOC is issued) This is an area for great concern.

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 16:11
My sentiemnts too PT6A.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 16:22
This question could be asked of most SMS systems...

But, do you think aviation in India is "mature" enough for a self regulating system?

What is a known fact is that their regulator is not able to conduct proper oversight of the airlines due to lack of funding and corruption.

To make matters worse the FOI's in India are employees of the various airlines, it must be a real conflict to be wearing two hats!

It seems the head of Indian DGCA is better than those before him... But it has a long way to go!

There needs to be a huge change in attitude from top to bottom, that is what this incident highlights.. not a simple breach of SOP's allowing someone to sit in that seat (Not to say that is not bad enough) But to just deal with that Captain... Is doing nothing more than avoiding the problem.

stepwilk
13th Feb 2012, 16:59
What am I missing? The only place anything has been written about the guy "landing the jet" is in the inept title of this thread. As far as I can tell, he just sat there. My labrador could have handled that.

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 17:16
Not that it matters.... the fact he was in the seat is enough.. but from the DGCA

The aviation regulator has asked Jet Airways (India) Ltd to explain why it allowed a trainee pilot to land a packed flight in Mumbai in October, violating safety norms.
The regulator has summoned the airline’s chief of flight safety and the chief of operations on Monday after it received a complaint this month that the airline had failed to report to the regulator that a commander allowed a trainee pilot to land the flight.

80-87
13th Feb 2012, 18:06
India!

What else?

grounded27
13th Feb 2012, 19:07
Reading way too much into this, the CPT screwed up by allowing his F/O (probably in his arrogance) to have the potential to gain a seinority number. Did the CPT make the correct decision? No, but for what reason? Domestic squabble folks, time to move on..

PT6A
13th Feb 2012, 19:19
Grounded...

But what about the company failing to disclose this information to the regulator as required by their SMS system?

Now the First Officer who made the report is suspsended, what about the non punative reporting system?

captjns
13th Feb 2012, 20:03
Without question, the first officer should have refused to give up his seat. If the discussion between he and his captain became heated, he could have pulled the CVR CB once on station and requested a download of the conversation, and let the facts and voice transcription speak for themselves.

It's worked in the past too. Better than he said, she said.

That said the F/O deserves some disciplinary action too.

40&80
13th Feb 2012, 20:42
The three of them should be demoted and punished by being grounded and required to join the "airline" management team until retirement age.:ok:

Tommy Tilt
13th Feb 2012, 21:02
I’ve yet to see the phrase “Domestic squabble” included in any NTSB or other Air Accidents investigation findings involving pilot error. It’s more likely to be “Crew did not adhere to company standard operating procedures (SOPs)” – as in this instance. I believe all three crewmembers to be culpable with the Captain bearing the most blame. However, a culture has been allowed to develop in Jet Airways that permits too many holes of the Swiss cheese accident model to be aligned. Unless Jet Airways addresses the root cause of the problem – "management" – one day, a perfect alignment will result in a hull loss as with Gulf Air 072.

PT6A
14th Feb 2012, 00:57
DGCA orders removal of Jet

DGCA orders removal of Jet’s chief of flight safety

Feb 14 2012

The Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) ordered the removal of Jet Airways (India) Ltd’s chief of flight safety Vishesh Oberoi for failing to perform his duty as the airline’s top safety manager, a first in recent times.

The regulator took the action against Jet Airways for allowing a trainee pilot to land a packed flight on 14 October in Mumbai, violating safety norms. DGCA had summoned Jet officials for an explanation on Monday.

The airline was also found to have violated rules, including not informing the regulator about the incident, Mint reported on 13 February.

Jet Airways chief executive Nikos Kardasis, along with other officials, had an hour-long meeting with Bharat Bhushan, the director general of civil aviation, on Monday, said a government official who declined to be named.

“The head of flight safety has been ordered to be removed immediately for failing to perform his duties,” the official said. A second government official confirmed the move and added that the airline has to inform the regulator on the appointment of a new chief of flight safety.

A Jet spokesperson declined to respond to an email. Phone calls and text messages seeking comment remained unanswered.

DGCA approves the chief of flight safety for each airline. The official is directly responsible to the regulator and is required to make regular reports about matters of safety. An airline is expected to voluntarily report safety issues to the regulator, including minor snags.

DGCA came to know of the incident through a complaint on 5 February.

“About four months back, Jet Airways captain Sheikh Ahmed was operating a flight into Mumbai along with F/O (flight officer) Khajuria (co-pilot). There was a supernumerary pilot on board. I understand that the captain asked the first officer to vacate his seat and he permitted the supernumerary pilot to occupy the right seat for the landing,” the complaint said. “This is a very serious violation and endangers the lives of all on board. I understand Khajuria gave a written complaint. There appears to be an intervention from someone to soften the action against the captain, who was merely suspended for three months and is now back to flying as a captain.”

The complaint asked if “the airline inform(ed) the DGCA of this serious violation? If they did, what action did DGCA take and was this recorded in the list of violations in the safety audit conducted? If they did not report this, what action will DGCA take against the pilot and the airline?”

The licence of the commander has been suspended, according to DGCA.

It, however, remains to be seen if his flying licence will be cancelled too as DGCA has done in past cases, said Mohan Ranganathan, an air safety expert and member of the government-appointed Civil Aviation Safety Advisory Council. “DGCA should not stop with action against the flight safety head. A clear message has to go to all airlines that such violations will not be tolerated. A strong action against the airline is also warranted for hiding this incident,” he said.

fireflybob
14th Feb 2012, 06:33
Methinks the First Officer was placed in a difficult position. That said the legal obligation is to obey all "lawful commands" that the Commander makes. Clearly this was an "unlawful command" IMHO which the First Officer would have been quite entitled to disregard - how he would go about that is another matter!

This was a serious breach of the regulations if the facts are as reported. The Commander has a clear obligation to act lawfully.

captjns
14th Feb 2012, 12:26
Well... hopefully the SNY will take the importance Company SOPs and Air Regulations this all the way to their retirement.

Too bad the F/O demonstrated his subservient nature. Not the makings of a skipper or an asset to the flight deck either.

PT6A
14th Feb 2012, 14:37
I don't think the Captain of the flight will have to worry about these issues again... The DGCA are to revoke his licence.

caulfield
14th Feb 2012, 18:09
You see thats the funny thing about Indian aviation.They dont tackle the right and fundamental problem..ie,no base training and app/landing training for new pilots yet they want to be seen as tough so they go spectacularly overboard and revoke this Captains licence.So its okay for newly released co-pilots with no back-up(3rd pilot) to act as competent P2 without being able to land(or dare I say it even fly the thing) yet this infringement, whilst unwise, merits a sacking and revocation of licence????When you sign someone off,surely you are saying he/she is competent as P2..ie,he/she can take over in event of P1 incapacitation and at the very minimum effect a safe landing.The DGCA says this isnt important.A plane can fly with a Captain and a P2 who is takeoff/land restricted and with no safety pilot in the event P1 kicks the bucket.They cant see the forrest for the trees.Kind of like saying you can kill someone with that gun but make sure your gun licence is valid...:ugh:

captplaystation
14th Feb 2012, 19:24
How many agencies advertise how many B737 jobs in how many Indian Airlines on how many websites EVERY day . . . . .and yet, I don't , & will not apply.
I do, sometimes , get it right.

As said, FO is also in the sh1t.

Passing 10,000'. . . "Get that guy out of there SIR" , no response, grab the radio , declare an emergency, tell P3 if he doesn't move his sorry ass he is REALLY in the sh1t, Oh, and pull the CVR CB after landing. Simples.

However, if we look at P2's actions in Islamabad * as the aircraft was CFIT'd into the ground, are we REALLY surprised ?

Lovely country, lovely food, lovely people. . . but to pursue professional aviation, Er. . no thanks :=

* Edited to say, I do know we are talking a different country here, but I doubt if the cultural issues are as far apart as the "other" issues pertaining.

waffler
14th Feb 2012, 21:38
To put an unqualified pilot in an operational seat in a non emergency situation invalidates the insurance on the aircraft. Any captain who makes a decision like that should not continue in the job as his decision making abilities have been exposed. If I did that in my company I would be out the door and rightly so.

PT6A
15th Feb 2012, 11:32
NEW DELHI: A Jet Airways flight from Chennai to Mumbai was landed by a trainee pilot on the instructions of the Captain of the flight. While the Captain was suspended internally for this violation of safety norms and playing with the lives of 200 people on board, he was later reinstated on the recommendation of a renowned Bollywood actor. However, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) in its usual show for priority to safety has suspended the Chief of Flight Safety of the airline who had little role in the incident.
The story unfolds like this: On October 14, Jet Airways Captain Sheikh Ahmed was operating a flight from Chennai to Mumbai along with First Officer Khajuria and a charming supernumerary pilot in the jump seat. Soon, Ahmed asked Khajuria to vacate his seat and permitted the supernumerary pilot to sit there. “When a flight is at a height of 10,000 feet or lower the cockpit has to become a sterile zone... In this case, when Khajuria asked the Captain to seat him back, Captain Ahmed ignored his plea and went on to allow the lady supernumerary pilot to land, in gross violation of safety,” said a Jet Airways official in Mumbai.Khajuria made an internal complaint about the incident with Chief of Flight Safety, Vishesh Oberoi, who suspended Captain Ahmed for three months. But, his suspension was revoked on January 3 by the Chief Pilot of Jet Airways’ 737 fleet. Airline sources told Express that it was done after a Bollywood actor, close to Ahmed, spoke to the airline’s top brass to soften their stand.

av8r76
15th Feb 2012, 11:48
Did somebody say banana republic? I hang my head in shame as an Indian at the pure unadulterated BS that goes on here.
An honest and ruthless overhaul of the system is required to purge this place of it's garbage. Well, who am I kidding, it's never gonna happen.
I have said it before, aviation along with everything else here survives on providence. Even when that runs out nothing ever changes, case in point the AIX crash.
Shame on the captain for pulling this stunt, shame on jet for covering it up, that too at the behest of some two bit amateur actor, and shame on the DGCA for letting things get this bad.:ugh:

captjns
15th Feb 2012, 12:24
Again, this is a news paper report. Let's face it the quality of jouralism, if you can use that term, in India is not the most reliable. Perhaps other coutries should sit up and take notice regarding the quality of oversight and policing, or perhaps the lack thereof, within the DGCA itself.

There was a blurb on CNBC and CNN about the incident. They did not mention about the Bollywood wannabe actor interceding.

Here's a message to Mr. Bollywood... Take your talent and powers or pursuastion off to Syria where more important issues are at hand:rolleyes:! Have your buddy flyi there himself.

PT6A
15th Feb 2012, 12:32
Maybe the more respected airlines in the world should review if Jet Airways is fit to operate code share flights on their behalf.

If an incident like this occurred you can't bet your bottom dollar it is not an isolated incident.

captjns
15th Feb 2012, 12:43
Maybe the more respected airlines in the world should review if Jet Airways is fit to operate code share flights on their behalf.

Very good point. Delta took the same approach with Korean Airlines after a number of hull losses resulting in loss of life.

PT6A
15th Feb 2012, 12:45
In Jet Airways case they code share with another Skyteam member, KLM.

av8r76
15th Feb 2012, 14:04
Irrespective of the quality of 'journalism' here, certain facts have been acknowledged by the DGCA which do not qualify as speculative drivel from our local rags.
The supy DID occupy the RHS, although I am quite sure he/she did not land the plane. Even this yahoo can't be THAT stupid to allow a supy to do that.
Jet DID cover up the incident. No question about that.
The other aspect that can be debated to no end is the magnitude of the punishment to be meted out. As it stands right now, it looks like DGCA is not happy with the quantum of punishment. I have a feeling, as a face saving exercise, this guy is done as far as flying in India is concerned. They WILL throw the book at him, and hard.
As usual, the flaws in the system are glossed over and I reckon the underlying issues will be brushed under the rug.
What about CRM? Why was the effo so passive during the whole episode. I applaud him for filing a formal complaint. I did read something on another post where he will have a tough time in the future with other captains. I think that it is deplorable and if anything he should be congratulated for his courage. Keep in mind that like the culture here, the cockpit gradient is very steep. While I do not defend his actions during the incident, his follow up is commendable given the state of CRM and general hierarchical attitudes prevalent in this part of the world. He will probably have some tortuous flights initially, but in the long run he will be better off.
I believe that addressing these issues holistically is the only way out. But no one really wants to open up Pandoras box. I had high hopes after the AIX crash that there would be a fundamental shift in how things are done here but to no avail. I have personally given up hope for Indian aviation in the near future as it lumbers along rudderless and leaderless. Too many of these moronic incidents with no REAL tangible corrective action will just keep periodically lining up the holes in the proverbial Swiss cheese.

latetonite
15th Feb 2012, 15:02
Notwithstanding the illegality of the issue here,-and I let it complete in the middle if it was wise to do so or not-the passengers on this plane were probably as safe on board as at any other initial training flight with a new S/O.

PT6A
15th Feb 2012, 15:11
How on earth do you work that out?

The trainee would be type rated, would of completed base training.

The flight would be crewed with a training Captain and a Safety First Officer would of been on board.

This would of been in accordance with OM Part D.

This was noting short of wreckless.

No type rating, no base training, no safety FO, no training captain.:D

jet.boy
16th Feb 2012, 07:27
well theres no question about how illegal it was.We must recognize however that the flying culture in India is different from other parts of the world.The gradient being steep its not easy for the first officer.He did have the choice of not vacating his seat which IMO would have been the thing to do.I do believe however that the s/o was type rated.

captjns
16th Feb 2012, 12:37
Trainee landing: Jet suspends pilot (http://www.indiablooms.com/NewsDetailsPage/2012/newsDetails150212d.php)

A bit of news from "India Blooms" paper.

Trainee lands Jet Airways plane; pilot suspended - India News - IBNLive (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/trainee-pilot-lands-jet-plane-pilot-suspended/230294-3.html)

And if one wants to listen to a commentary.

PT6A
16th Feb 2012, 12:53
Jet Boy, the DGCA confirmed he was NOT type rated.

Yeah we understand India is different alright, it's "incredible" :yuk:

Teddy Robinson
16th Feb 2012, 13:02
I'm astonished that people on here are in some way attempting to defend this situation... ok, so here's me with my training hat on ... "eh bloggs, got my 6 year old daughter in the back .. how bout you go grab a coffee and read the paper".

Unbelievable. :ugh:

rasper90
16th Feb 2012, 17:04
Few points regarding above mentioned discussion,

1. Incident occurred couple of months back.The matter was leaked to the DGCA recently.

2.Theflight safety was informed regarding the incident under the confidential reporting system in place , and it was kept in confidence as per the confidence reporting guidelines.

3.Crew were suspended for 3 months.

What could have been done better.

1.Quantum of punishment? Three months way too less I suppose ,Cancellation of License too much ,as rumored ,even Murderers get reprieves, you cannot take away a persons source of livelihood.

2.DGCA should have specified what has to be reported and level of punishment to be meted out.If you are not ready for the high end evolved stuff like SMS don't try it.Its nowhere there.

3.The F/O was a low time new release.He too is sweating it out.I am fairly certain no Captain in JetAirways is gonna hold it against him for his actions contrary too earlier posts just that he should have acted more firmly.

4.It is true that F/Os are not permitted to land in the first 50 hrs so if you fly with one expect the stds of a c152 with maybe a landing or two on the b737 of course lot of D sim ldgs Total flt. experience 250 hrs.

5.It's a Circus the whole lot,it can be fun at times,but highly frustrating for those who don't play along.

PT6A
16th Feb 2012, 17:18
Rasper,

Your clearly not upto speed on this are you?

Jet Airways violated their AOC. As per the conditions that their AOC was issued under they are required to notify the DGCA of these incidents.

There was a coverup by Jet Airways Safety / Managment team.

The actions of the management have placed their AOC / IATA membership at risk.

The Captain did not make a "mistake" he deliberately violated the AFM and DGCA approved Company Operations Manual.

The only reason you don't see just how serious this is.... Is because all airlines in India operate to such a poor standard.

fullforward
17th Feb 2012, 10:02
Few things to understand the local pilots "almighty" attitude

- local union put 9W under their knees few years back, going on an almost suicide strike amid the worst crisis the carrier experienced, as a reaction to the airline firing some unexpressive 'leaders'. They were actually reinstated;

- it's usual for them (at least some of them) to display less than professional attitude, for instance operating dressing pijamas (yes! even doing TO/LDG on long haul flights), smoking in the cockpit, spending long time in the back chating with the FAs are very popular behavior among them, kind of showing up how relaxed and 'nice guys' they are;

- the paternalistic and non punitive policy, owing to fears related to the first statement here, they consider themselves more or less 'untouchables'; so the playboysh attitude

It's no surprise this kind of behavior would eventually extend to safety threating level, as it's the case

That's very unfortunate, considering the majority of Jet Airways pilots are high level professionals.:ugh:

Pugilistic Animus
17th Feb 2012, 23:50
I know that if a similar event happened under the FAA the outcome would be license revoked ---reckless and careless....and that's final

:)

Tommy Tilt
18th Feb 2012, 21:11
local union put 9W under their knees few years back, going on an almost suicide strike amid the worst crisis the carrier experienced

I disagree with your implication that the local Jet pilots acted recklessly by striking. Jet management and accountants were more aware of the dire financial climate of the time than its pilots were. The fact of the matter is; a strike or as it actually was, an organized sick-call, was the final option after Jet management summarily dismissed several local pilots for attempting to organize a union with official recognition. Jet management belligerently refused any meetings to attempt to resolve matters even though Indian Labor Minister, Mr. Kharge, stated the pilots had a constitutional right to form a union.

Events leading to the strike were instigated by the Indian pilots nemesis and ex Gulf Air, Swiss cheese alignment chief, Mr. Hamed Ali. In a previous cost cutting move, Mr. Ali had sacked several hundred Jet cabin crew resulting in picket lines with Indian politicians involved. The sacked cabin crew were all reinstated. Since that time local pilots were more anxious to form a union, in part, to prevent similar treatment. Mr. Ali inflamed the situation by appearing on Indian television to berate the local pilots for being unprofessional and exercising their constitutional right to form a labor union. Incidentally, no pilot union was ever allowed at Gulf Air during Mr. Ali’s tenure.

During the strike, Jet management finally agreed to meet the pilots to resolve issues. The sacked pilots were reinstated and the strike called off. Unfortunately, Jet management were unwilling to meet the pilots until the strike had begun. The strike would certainly have been avoided had it not been for management's, in particular, Mr. Ali’s, own “almighty" attitude.

shon7
18th Feb 2012, 21:49
so did Jet finally get a union then?

PT6A
18th Feb 2012, 21:54
No they have a pretend one. SWIP.

shon7
18th Feb 2012, 22:37
interesting. so what exactly did the strike achieve then?

PT6A
18th Feb 2012, 22:40
Cost the company a lot of money, and had some expats who had their contracts ended... Asked to return to the company to prevent grounding of aircraft.

fullforward
18th Feb 2012, 23:27
...and of course give (some) their pilots the sense of "power" to justify their unprofessional attitude, now slipping into downright dangerous territory.
There are numerous mistakes, omissions etc resulting from reckless operations, swiss cheese is alignning its holes...
BTW, the useless head of Flight Safety Department, as a 'punishment' has been upgraded to B777.

PT6A
18th Feb 2012, 23:44
Maybe they will let an expat take over the flight safety department?:}

shon7
19th Feb 2012, 01:10
head of Flight Safety Department, as a 'punishment' has been upgraded to B777

you've gotta be kidding. wait till the media gets a hold of this one!

Who runs Jet day to day anyway. I hear the owner is based in London and the CEO is based in the US and one of the highly regarded directors retired last year. So who really is running the show and calling the shots back in BOM.

HAWK21M
19th Feb 2012, 07:39
Whats so difficult...... JUST FOLLOW THE RULE.........:*

PT6A
19th Feb 2012, 13:21
Following rules seems to be difficult in India....

Just look at they way they drive!

maverick320
23rd Feb 2012, 16:51
TOO MANY PEOPLE...... TOOOOO MUCH OF KNOWLEDGE...

Try sticking to the issue..... i.e. Capt giving landing to Supy!!!!

chris11
23rd Feb 2012, 18:14
Its a great leap when a F/O can stand up to a captain and report him. He should be punished for 'leaving' his seat, but on on the other hand, punished leniently. The capt on the other hand should be prosecuted for criminal negligence.

I heard of a similar situation yrs ago in my airline where one of our capt removed the F/O by verbal force and sat another company pilot (his friend) to do the landing. The 2nd pilot had experience on non-similar type (BAC1-11) and was soon to complete his conversion on the A320. The capt obviously felt above the law so to speak.

These captains have no place in modern airlines that like to follow good market safety procedures and good CRM principles.

A company that will 'tolerate' such cover ups has a time limit.

stepwilk
23rd Feb 2012, 22:55
Try sticking to the issue..... i.e. Capt giving landing to Supy!!!!

That's not the issue at all. It has several times been pointed out, if you'd bothered to read the thread, that the supernumerary did NOT land the aircraft. If he took any physical part in the flight, it was that he farted into the right-seat cushion. Otherwise, he was an observer and rider.

PT6A
23rd Feb 2012, 23:08
Maverick320,

With a name like "Maverick" maybe that is why you don't get the issue!

It is about the company ethos that allowed this Captain to come to the conclusion that an airliner full of passengers was the correct place to let and untrained, unqualified person occupy a required crewmembers seat.

Further, ignored the protest from the First Officer (who requested to get back into his seat for the landing)

That is part one of the issue:-

The second part is why the company flight safety department broke the terms and conditions of the airlines AOC and went out of their way to hide the matter from the DGCA.....

Does this sound like a safe operator? A good company safety attitude? A just culture? An airline that embraces CRM?

NO! Sounds more like an airline that allows a "Maverick" attitude in their company and in their flightdecks.

fdr
23rd Feb 2012, 23:37
Incredible....
India!

What else?

So do we assume that such aberrant behaviour by the Capt and passive (at least) submission to deviation by the FO is limited geographically? There are at least 3 well known events of European (ish) or Antibodean airlines having such events, an A310 crash, a B767 Capt getting a year as an FO... or a B737 with a passenger doing the takeoff resulting in a tailstrike. In these other events, not one party was from the sub continent...

Incredible.... disregard for rules, and contempt for professional standards of behaviour.

Superpilot
5th Mar 2012, 08:23
The reality is that much of the developing world have not really caught onto the idea of 'multi-crew co-operation'. Though they love breathing the magic letters C, R and M down your throat they have absolutely no idea what it means because quite simply an FO raising a concern, especially if Mr ex-mil Fast Jet jock is in the LHS, is considered disrespect. Until this is addressed (requires a major cultural change) we can expect more incidents like this.

Keylime
30th Mar 2012, 22:01
CRM.....Had a friend who was going through Line Instructor Pilot training at KAL who told me that during the course one of the korean instructors said to the class "CRM is for western airlines, does not work here". You don't know whether to laugh or cry. Thing is, the instructor was right, CRM doesn't work over there. They don't know what it is. Change the name of the airline. SSDD.