PDA

View Full Version : N-reg 172 near London?

ameskay
12th Feb 2012, 18:01
Hellows! I'm being relocated from America (San Francisco, to be specific) to London in a couple months. I can only fly 152 and 172 and would like to continue flying once every month or so to keep my skills up. Anyone know of any N-reg 172 that can be rented around London?

(I'm understanding it correctly that I can only fly an N-reg plane with a FAA license, right?)

Zulu Alpha
12th Feb 2012, 18:10
You can fly a G reg in the UK on an FAA licence. I did it for several years.

Get your medical and Biennial done before you come over as they are more expensive here.

You will probably need a check ride here before you can rent.

Bring lots of money as well. The rates are about double the US rates.

ps, I don't think that you can rent an N reg in the UK, the CAA don't allow hire and reward on N reg here. You might be able to buy a share in an N reg if there are any.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Feb 2012, 18:20
can only fly 152 and 172

That's a pretty severe disability. Have you considered possibly getting some therapy for it? Many flying clubs have suitably trained therapists and suitable equipment to help you recover, and in time you might find that you can fly all sorts of aeroplanes, and feel much better for it.

On the other hand, if you can't deal with this problem you have, then most UK airfields have both types available to rent on the G register.

London is a very big city, comparable with LA- although unlike LA all the GA airfields are around the outside. Do you know whereabouts in London you're likely to be living, as there are good places to fly all the way around the outside of London, whether you're likely to have a car? (British public transport is good within the big cities, and between towns and cities, but pretty useless for things like getting to airfields.)

I agree that there's little point in getting a UK/JAA licence if you're only here for a few years. Reset your BFR and medical before you come, and so long as you're happy flying day-VFR you'll have no issues renting G reg aeroplanes without any extra paperwork. If you are here for more than 2 years, there are FAA medics and instructors in the UK so renewing your medical and BFR should be no big problem.

You're bound to need a couple of hours with a UK instructor, just getting used to UK RT, airspace, charts, etc. But it's no big deal - we just do things a bit differently.

You will find it much more expensive than at home I'm afraid. Roughly speaking, expect to pay for your flying the same number of pounds as you did in dollars at home. Like the USA you'll find there is a mix of good and bad schools and good and bad airfields, with good and less good aeroplanes. But overall, you'll find flying here as fun as in California.

Can I apologise in advance, on behalf of the United Kingdom, that we do have landing fees here, and you won't readily be able to take small aeroplanes into the bigger airports.

G

ameskay
13th Feb 2012, 01:07
awesome. thanks for all the tips! i feel a lot better that i will easily be able to continue flying even when i move!

i meant i've only trained/checked out in a 152 and 172 (i'm still a new pilot at less than 1yr from my PPL). actually, i think my very first discovery flight was a piper archer...

i rent my 172sp at $185/hour with a $62/month membership... does it really cost close to £350/hour to rent in uk?!

diginagain
13th Feb 2012, 01:21
I think what was meant in an earlier post was that the numbers remain the same, just swap the $ for £. Have fun.

Mark 1
13th Feb 2012, 01:21
It looks like you're paying a bit of a premium even for the Bay area and a modern aircraft. Had you looked at places like Reid Hillview or Livermore for cheaper rentals?

Anyway back to the point. London isn't the cheapest area to fly, but you should be able to get well below GBP200/hour. If you know what part of London you'll be based, you may get better suggestions of specific airfields and clubs.
Why not seek out something more European like a Robin DR400, you may be pleasantly surprised. Dual checkouts with instructors add about another 20-30/hour; probably cheaper than the Bay area.

ameskay
13th Feb 2012, 02:37
got it. i think i may practice in a low wing while i'm here for another month (to give myself more options, in case), then get checked out on a more european bird, as suggested. thanks much for all the advices!

oh, and i fly out of palo alto because it's a 5min drive from my office... and while the prices are a bit high, my flying club and instructors are AWESOME, which was a #1 requirement for me in choosing it before i started my training.

DiamondC
23rd Feb 2012, 21:10
Hi Amesky, I learned to fly in Southern California - loved it out there! I fly G-reg in the UK on an FAA licence and I'm in the process of getting signed-off to rent privately again. When I'm up and running you're more than welcome to come up with me some time if you like. I am in London too.

n5296s
23rd Feb 2012, 21:53
Off topic, but $186/hr for a 172SP sounds pretty outrageous even for Palo Alto. Sundance (where I learned to fly) has a 172SP for $145, and older 172s for less.

I've flown in the UK several times on my FAA licence. The main problem is getting used to a different radio dialect (everything is called something different) and the much more constrained airspace. Oh and (compared to the Bay Area) the terrible weather. You'll never get above 2500' around London, between the perpetual overcast and the overlying Class A. Otoh you don't need to because the highest terrain is Hampstead Heath at about 180'.

PA28s are proportionately much more common in Europe, no idea why. You should get some time in one before you leave. I don't like them much but you have to fly what you can get...

alland2012
24th Feb 2012, 08:36
Hi ameskay,
I started a thread just the other day asking about flying in the UK on a FFA PPL,

See here - http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/478027-faa-ppl-flying-uk.html

Read post #2 with excellent info from peterh337 which may be of importance to you.