PDA

View Full Version : Brazil mid-air drama: Pilot, crew attacked

rgsaero
12th Feb 2012, 17:02
From the NZ Herald - (report from AP) -

A Brazilian airliner made a forced landing after a passenger reportedly attacked a pilot and crew members.
The TAM Airlines jet was en route from Montevideo, Uruguay, to Sao Paulo when a man entered the cockpit an hour into the flight.
The plane veered right as the man apparently attacked the pilot, who yelled for help.
Uruguay's Industry Minister Roberto Kreimerman was aboard and told the El Observador newspaper everybody screamed as the plane sharply veered.
The Folha de S. Paulo newspaper quoted a passenger who said it took several people to subdue the suspect.
The suspect was arrested after the plane safely landed in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Police say he suffered a "psychotic attack."
TAM says an "uproar" on board caused the forced landing. It offered no details.

Thought they kept the cockpit doors locked??

captplaystation
12th Feb 2012, 17:17
They probably do, but everyone needs a cup of coffee every now & then & a petite little Brasilian Hostie may not be much of a match for a deranged "Loco"

Juud
12th Feb 2012, 21:11
ANP

A pilot requested help via the PA, flight attendants managed to drag the attacker out of the cockpit and he was subdued and restrained by passengers.

west lakes
12th Feb 2012, 21:21
Interestingly The Aviation Herald gives a slightly different story with no mention of access being gained to the Flight Deck!

SA Brit
12th Feb 2012, 22:12
“All of a sudden shouts were heard from inside the cabin, and two stewardesses came out asking for help and grabbing a young man by his feet,” one unidentified passenger told Uruguay’s El Pais newspaper. “The people quickly jumped on top of him, the guy fought back furiously, biting and hurting a half dozen people.

“In a kind of collective action they were able to immobilize him, tying him to a seat.”

Uruguay’s Industry Minister Roberto Kreimerman was on board the Saturday afternoon flight, leading a trade delegation that was on its way to China. He told Uruguayan newspaper El Observador that when the plane veered sharply, passengers started screaming and fearing for their lives.

The jet safely landed at the Porto Alegre airport in southern Brazil about 20 minutes after the incident with the man subdued in the rear of the plane, a police spokesman said Sunday. The suspect was arrested by federal police and taken to a mental care facility. Associated Press

poorjohn
12th Feb 2012, 23:08
Brazil jet makes forced stop after pilot attack - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/brazil-jet-makes-forced-stop-pilot-attack-171852383.html)

PT6A
12th Feb 2012, 23:11
Incident: TAM A320 near Porto Alegre on Feb 11th 2012, unruly passenger

By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, Feb 12th 2012 14:54Z, last updated Sunday, Feb 12th 2012 14:54Z
A TAM Linhas Aereas Airbus A320-200, registration PR-MAR performing flight JJ-8047 from Montevideo (Uruguay) to Sao Paulo Guarulhos,SP (Brazil), was enroute near Porto Alegre,RS (Brazil) when a male passenger attempted to intrude the cockpit which resulted in a physical fight with two flight attendants supported by other passengers. Cabin crew and supporting passengers were bitten by the intruder during the fight until the combined forces were able to subdue the unruly passenger, who was handcuffed and tied to his seat. In the meantime the flight crew diverted to Porto Alegre for a safe landing where police arrested the unruly passenger and delivered him to the psychiatric ward of a local hospital.

Police reported the unruly passenger suffered a "psychotic episode".

The airline reported a riot on board prompted the crew to divert to Porto Alegre.

Passengers reported two flight attendants were trying to get the man down when he tried to intrude the cockpit in order to bring the airplane down. The unruly was fighting, biting, it needed about half a dozen people to finally overpower him and constrain him.

The aircraft reached Sao Paulo with a delay of 2:45 hours.

Hotel Tango
13th Feb 2012, 01:16
Be aware that many airlines in many parts of the world DO NOT keep their cockpit doors locked, nor are they required to. Too many people confuse those American and British regulations as applying worldwide. They don't.

Evanelpus
13th Feb 2012, 08:51
"A pilot requested help via the PA, flight attendants managed to drag the attacker out of the cocpit and he was subdued and restrained by pax."

A big well done to the FA's, above and beyond!

fivegreenlight
13th Feb 2012, 08:55
yes, and with these carriers flying into the airspace of the more security conscious countries I do sometimes wonder why we bother.

Lonewolf_50
13th Feb 2012, 13:06
I'd like to point out that the term "self loading freight" in this case was thankfully untrue, as it appears that some of the passengers pitched in to help sort this fellow out.

Silvio Pettirossi
13th Feb 2012, 15:02
As someone who has flown for this airline, I can assure you that like on any airliners of the States or Great Britain, the cockpit door has to remain locked during the whole flight on planes of this operator...

RobertS975
14th Feb 2012, 23:49
Although the cockpit door may be locked, the concept of cockpit security varies greatly around the world. It is quite common for the cockpit door to be opened in flight and remain open while a flight crew member stands in the forward galley gathering food/beverages. I have personally observed this on TAM domestic, IB domestic, and AM international.

broadreach
15th Feb 2012, 00:00
What I've read regarding this incident indicates the person was wearing a TAM ID tag and, on the basis of that, was admitted to the flight deck. All sorts of caveats apply.

Romasik
15th Feb 2012, 01:07
Come on! Everyone knows that it's so easy to jump in the cockpit in the process of opening/closing of the door. Especially on the back of a FLight Attendant. Unless it is strictly prohibited for the passengers to line up by the toilet. I've never heard about such restrictions. And I never saw them observed, in case they exist somewhere:sad:

DouglasFlyer
15th Feb 2012, 05:24
In my former airline a announcement had to be made by the M/C and the Captain on all flights to the US requesting the cooperation of all passengers not to congregate in groups in any area of the aircraft cabin especially around lavatories.
On other flights it was handled similarly but without announcement - just with direct verbal intervention.

douglasflyer, now early retired :)

latetonite
15th Feb 2012, 08:40
I am seriously interested on how many flights the access to the cockpit is not always properly done as per procedure. I have the impression the reinforced 100.000$ cockpit door serves in many cases just as a window dressing. After all, it can be a "just between us 1-enter and open" thing, serving more as a nuissance than a safety device.

Tommy Tilt
15th Feb 2012, 10:05
“Be aware that many airlines in many parts of the world DO NOT keep their cockpit doors locked, nor are they required to. Too many people confuse those American and British regulations as applying worldwide. They don't”.
Brazil is a contracting member state of a little organization with which you may be familiar; ICAO. The key word is “contracting”, i.e. they have agreed and are contractually obliged to abide by specific agreements. Viz;

ICAO Annex 17: Security: Safeguarding International Civil Aviation Against Acts of Unlawful Interference.

2.1.1 Primary objective of each contracting state is safe guarding its passengers, ground personnel, crew as well as the general public against any acts of unlawful interference.

4.3.3 During flight unauthorized persons must not enter the crew compartment.

5.3.1 States that experienced the act of unlawful interference shall notify ICAO of the security aspects of the interference once the act has been resolved.

13.2.3 In all aircraft that are equipped with a flight deck door (13.2.2 Reinforced Door):

(a) The door shall be kept closed and locked from the time all external doors are closed following embarkation until such time as the external doors are open for disembarkation, except where necessary to permit access to authorized persons and,

(b) Means shall be provided for monitoring from either pilots station the entire door area outside the flight deck to identify persons requesting entry and to detect suspicious behavior or potential threat.

poorjohn
15th Feb 2012, 16:56
Come on! Everyone knows that it's so easy to jump in the cockpit in the process of opening/closing of the door. Especially on the back of a FLight Attendant. Unless it is strictly prohibited for the passengers to line up by the toilet. I've never heard about such restrictions. And I never saw them observed, in case they exist somewhere Presumably you meant 'except in the US/EU and other like-minded places'. I usually find that I've loaded myself onto an AA flight thus can't speak more broadly but no-queuing appears to be a well-enforced rule and in fact where configuration allows a beverage cart (transversely) blocks access to galley and beyond whenever the cockpit door needs to be opened.

(On the unrelated matter of cockpit manning, I note that AA uses the best-practice of maintaining two folk up there at all times.)

Romasik
16th Feb 2012, 10:28
Well, good to know that there are safer airlines out there:D And AA, for sure, is a front runner:(

gusting_45
16th Feb 2012, 21:22
Check out the airline accident rate statistics I think you'll find they're anything but a front runner in safety.

givemewings
17th Feb 2012, 08:37
It helps if you enter the flight deck facing the cabin (i.e. backwards), at least I find it feels safer for me. I get a head start on anyone trying to sneak up on me because I'd see them at least 6 feet away, plus a swift kick to the -ahem- jewels is a bit easier from that position too :E

Seriously though, I can't believe the details some of you are posting!!

triple7BR
18th Feb 2012, 19:07
Its obvius that security procedures are not correctly taken by airline pilots in brazil, as the risk of a hijack is very low..
Just knock the flight deck door and you will see what happens

Escape Path
18th Feb 2012, 23:41
yes, and with these carriers flying into the airspace of the more security conscious countries I do sometimes wonder why we bother.

What? That makes no sense whatsoever. If your own cockpit is secure, then wonder no more about it and do bother. Besides, as pointed before, be very aware that international airlines on this area (Latin America) do follow the procedure and do bother with the legalities of it.

Get your facts together before posting nonsense

bubbers44
19th Feb 2012, 00:13
Any airline that flies into the US should follow the same security procedures we do or not be allowed in. Why wouldn't we?

Percival737
20th Feb 2012, 21:53
The man whom entered to the flight deck is a TAM flight dispatcher and he was on a trip to Uruguay. As a employee he ask to visit cockpit due to his normal curiousity regarding his position.But unfortunatelly he had a kind of nerve breakdown, at that time he was using a company badge.