PDA

View Full Version : Will dyslexia be a bar to obtaining a NPPL.

magpienja
11th Feb 2012, 10:17
So will dyslexia be a bar to obtaining a NPPL that is the question,

I guy I have known for many many years mainly connected with a hobby we both have an interest in,

Knowing me to have a NPPL M he was telling me he is very interested in learning to fly...he fancies the Piper Cub type a/c and has no interest in microlighting....he is very sharp and talented in whatever he gets involved with,

I have had a idea for some time that he may have this condition as he is very very slow on the keyboard plus other things I have noticed...he admitted it to me a few nights ago,

Practical things he is brilliant at but its the exams I was wondering about as well as the other aspects of day to day flying i.e. checking notams ect,

Anybody had any experience with matter and flying.

Nick.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Feb 2012, 10:42
I don't have direct experience of this, but I have known a significant number of people manage to pass degrees despite dyslexia. Presumably if your friend has a reasonable level of personal success in life to date, he has developed strategies for managing his dyslexia and using his strengths.

So, I've little doubt that he'll have to work a bit harder in some areas than others, and adapt existing coping strategies to groundschool and to a lesser extent to the flying.

But equally, I can see no reason why he can't get an NPPL and enjoy his flying as much as the rest of us.

G

goldeneaglepilot
11th Feb 2012, 10:49
Totally agree - it should not be a bar to him. I suspect because of how he will have learnt to deal with it in day to day life he will make an excellent student.

In fact I can think of one well known aviator who not only manages that, but also copes with being a MacD muncher, ginger and with limited vision in one eye. How bad can that be :)

mad_jock
11th Feb 2012, 13:04
I have it and I hold a ATPL, and a certainly ain't the only ATPL holder with it.

There are numerous levels of the infliction and it affects people in different ways. Persay having it doesn't bar you as long as you can jump through all the hoops.

Basically what I am say is that everyone is an individual, and the yes they can no they can't, can't really be said on here.

You will get some arsehole instructors/CFI's who will try and say no they can't because of some grammar/spelling biggotry. When actually there have been several studies to show that dixies have better SA and that thier minds work slightly differently when creating 3D/4D models in there heads. And lets face it flying is in a 3D enviroment and uses the additional 4th dimension as everything is time related.