PDA

View Full Version : IMC Rating

cessnapete
10th Feb 2012, 19:10
I have recently downgraded from JAA ATPL to a PPL. (Old age) I will let my UK I/R lapse, but have heard that the holder of an ATPL automaticaly gets an IMC Rating when issued with PPL.
Can't find anything in Lasors and my new PPL received today does not include the IMCR.
Do I need to complete an IMCR Course?

HWEST
10th Feb 2012, 19:22
I believe you do need to revalidate if the rating has lapsed as it is a standalone rating so to speak.

cessnapete
10th Feb 2012, 19:47
Thanks, although I have nothing to revalidate as I have never had the IMCR, just the full I/R.

mrmum
10th Feb 2012, 20:29
Depends on what kind of IR you have or had and if it's still valid. Probably too late now I know, but this would have been better sorted before you exchanged licences
LASORS Section E3.4
JAR-FCL Professional Aeroplane Licence Holders
JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licences do not have in-built IMC privileges. The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence who wish to obtain an IMC Rating must complete the requirements specified below:

2. JAR-FCL CPL(A) or ATPL(A) holder with valid Single-Pilot IR(A)
The holder of a UK issued JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence with a valid single-pilot IR(A) does not require a separate IMC Rating endorsement as the privileges are included within the IR(A) privileges. If, however, you wish to obtain an IMC Rating you will need to apply to PLD for endorsement. The normal IMC rating issue fee will apply unless application is made in conjunction with an application for the initial grant of an Instrument Rating (IR).

3. JAR-FCL CPL(A) or ATPL(A) holder with valid Multi-Pilot IR(A) only
The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane licence with a valid multi-pilot IR(A) only is not automatically entitled to fly using the privileges of an IMC Rating in single-pilot aeroplanes. They will be required to pass an IMC Flight Test and apply to PLD for a separate IMC Rating endorsement.

What you may be thinking about are holders of pre-JAA, UK national CPLs and ATPLs, which had (and still have) embedded IMCr privileges

If you still want to get an IMCr;
Exemptions and Credits
• An applicant who has held an ICAO IR(A)...or a UK professional pilots licence aeroplanes at some time in the 10 years before the date of application for the IMC Rating will be exempt from the requirement to undergo a formal course of flight or ground training but will need to pass the ground examination and initial IMC Rating flight test.
• An applicant who has held an ICAO IR(A)...or a UK professional pilot licence aeroplanes...at some time in the 5 years before the date of application for the IMC Rating will be exempt from taking the ground examination
• An applicant who holds an ICAO IR(A)...and has passed a single-pilot IR test in the 24 months preceding the date of application for the IMC Rating will be exempt from taking the initial IMC Flight Test and written examination. Applicants will be required to apply for the issue of the IMC rating within this period, and the IMC granted will be valid for 25 months from the date the last IR test was passed.
I'd guess for you, that you're exempt the course and ground exam, so just the flight test (plus voluntary revision) and then application to Gatwick. Well worth doing I'd say and if you don't do it soon, you might not be able to.

FatFlyer
10th Feb 2012, 21:59
I also understand that changing from a UK national CPL/ATPL to a JAR one loses the automatic IMC privileges.
Can anyone point to information about when the last IMC will be issued, it was to be April but might have been put back to July?
I have searched on the CAA website but could not find an answer. Thanks.

AdamFrisch
10th Feb 2012, 22:08
Can't you just keep the IR? You only need a 2nd degree medical which you would for the PPL anyway.

Whopity
11th Feb 2012, 10:09
Why downgrade your licence? If you hang onto you UK ATPL it will soon be able to be renewed as a National lifetime licence and will cost you no more to maintain than a PPL. The IMC privileges are built into a UK National professional licence i.e. you are not subject to the limitations that necessitate an IMC rating and consequently you don't need one. The ANO Schedule 7 lists the privileges of the various licences. If you have a JAA professional licence it does not contain the built in IMC privileges, and if you get rid of your UK ATPL you will loose those privileges and have to maintain an IMC rating at extra cost. I have deliberately not gone into the further complications caused by EASA. If you hold a Class 1 medical when they start dishing out lifetime UKATPLs, get one and hang onto it.

Miskin
10th Jun 2012, 18:53
This link should take you to the latest info on the UK IMC Rating when converting to a Part-FCL aeroplane licence.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/2330/Revised%20Statement%20UK%20IMC%20RATING%20May%202012%20_v3.p df