PDA

View Full Version : Age 65 Rule

Chippie Chappie
9th Feb 2012, 05:21
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the age 65 rule for FAA pilots flying N-registered aircraft into Canada.

I know someone over the age of 65 who flies an N-reg aircraft (bizjet) on a Part 135 certificate. Being PIC is not a problem inside the USA but can he fly as PIC into Canada? I've looked at the ICAO guidance (ICAO Annex 1 2.1.10.1 A) which indicates that he can't fly as PIC outside the USA. Is there anything regulation or exemption that would allow him to fly into Canada as PIC or would he have to be SIC?

Thanks in advance,

Chips

Willie Everlearn
10th Feb 2012, 14:29
There is no mandatory retirement regulation in Canada. Pilot unions up here get away with it through negotiated labor agreements.

Willie :ok:

Lost in Saigon
11th Feb 2012, 02:22
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the age 65 rule for FAA pilots flying N-registered aircraft into Canada.

I know someone over the age of 65 who flies an N-reg aircraft (bizjet) on a Part 135 certificate. Being PIC is not a problem inside the USA but can he fly as PIC into Canada? I've looked at the ICAO guidance (ICAO Annex 1 2.1.10.1 A) which indicates that he can't fly as PIC outside the USA. Is there anything regulation or exemption that would allow him to fly into Canada as PIC or would he have to be SIC?

Thanks in advance,

Chips

The following is my understanding of the ICAO over/under rule........

The ICAO rule applies to International Airlines, not Business Jet operations.

The ICAO rule, is not really a rule. It is an exception that allows Captains over the age of 60, who fly for International Commercial Airlines, to fly into countries that do not allow Airline pilots over the age of 60, to fly into their airspace.

The USA used to be one of those countries, but they have raised their age to 65. (American Captains pilots can fly over the age of 65, but only on domestic operations, or international charter operations)

France is still a country that does not allow airline pilots to be licenced after age 60. All airlines that confirm to ICAO standards CAN fly into France with over age 60 Captains, as long as they follow the ICAO over/under rule.

Canada has NEVER restricted pilots of ANY country from flying into it's airspace by any pilot, of ANY age.

So to answer your question.... He is "Good To Go".

More detailed info here: Age 60 | NBAA - National Business Aviation Association (http://www.nbaa.org/admin/personnel/age-60/)

Age 65 Retirement Rule Discussed in NBAA Resource
February 14, 2008
With the “Age 60 Rule” the subject of so much national debate, Part 91 and 135 operators may wonder if the law allows them to establish a mandatory retirement age for pilots. The simple answer is still “no.” The Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots Act, signed into law in December 2007, is specific and only covers pilots serving in Part 121 operations. Nevertheless, many Part 91 and 135 carriers attempt to justify their mandatory retirement policies by reference to FAR 121.383(c) even though it too only applied to Part 121 carriers. Those Part 91 and 135 carriers should now consider amending their policies to reflect the changes in the new law. An article prepared for NBAA Members discusses this issue in the context of business aircraft operations.