PDA

View Full Version : Cathay pacific SECOND OFFICER – ADVANCED ENTRY INITIAL INTERVIEW

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

indigopilot
8th Feb 2012, 04:42
Anyone appearing for this interview on 22nd feb in Mumbai..

EDITED TXT SPK

HWB

btommy
8th Feb 2012, 05:42
Hi there. When did you get a reply from Cathay and when did you apply and for which position?

PEC
8th Feb 2012, 05:53
First and foremost Mr.6E-Pilot - There is already a thread dedicated to the same topic elsewhere on this SEA forum. So starting another one was quite unnecessary.

Secondly, if you want some info. regarding the interview, I suggest you browse through the Fragrant Harbour Forum, not troll around here.

Lastly, before you think the CX call for SO is a major milestone in your life, I suggest you read through this - http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/472971-why-i-turned-down-cathay-pacific-so-transition.html - Especially post #1. This goes for all the others interested in the said program too.

josh121.5
9th Feb 2012, 09:34
ya my friend has got the call for the initial screening on the 21st of FEB in mumbai ! if u clear round 1 then the second round is in hongkong ! i applied last year too but didnt get the call letter .:confused:

iflyhighh
9th Feb 2012, 09:44
Hey mate, i have got a call from Cathay for AE SO initial interview in Mumbai on 24th. Did they tell you about the syllabus or recommended any books you can go through ???

smurf84
9th Feb 2012, 12:16
Buddy...I'm not sure if any airline would recommend a candidate what book to study from at the time of the interview. This is what CX suggests -

Candidates applying for an Advanced Entry Second Officer position will complete both written and technical interviews to assess both their suitability for an AE course and a career in Cathay Pacific Airways.

Candidates will be expected to have a depth and scope of knowledge commensurate with their experience and the licence they currently hold.

smurf84
9th Feb 2012, 12:19
Venue : The Hyatt Regency Hotel, Sahar Airport Road, Mumbai

btommy
9th Feb 2012, 14:17
Well i guess only those who got 250 hours and more got a call.

smurf84
9th Feb 2012, 14:18
vish320 - I'm not. And it really doesn't matter I guess.

vish320
10th Feb 2012, 02:40
all the best! for thoes who appearing..

harsh786techy
10th Feb 2012, 06:42
Is there anyone from delhi who got a call for 29 February.

ashokbhatt1
10th Feb 2012, 09:49
i got mail from them to conform attendence by 8th feb which i did and they said further details will be send by them via email before 10th feb but no rply yet what does this means???does any one got second mail from them..

VT-RST
11th Feb 2012, 04:21
Any Non-CPL Holder who got the call? I know, i'm starting these non-sensical CPL/Non-CPL Holder queries, but its required to clear the air. Is this for the masses, or the 'Accelerated Entry' means only for CPL with 250 Hours+ as somebody analyzed it up above ? :sad:

Regds,
VT-RST

Spitfire88
11th Feb 2012, 10:08
Its Advanced Entry. For 250+ hrs cpl holders

Dub32
16th Feb 2012, 20:13
Heya did anyone manage to find out any of the interview questions for the initial interview (technical q's or otherwise). If there is a different forum on here on the interview could someone post it. The search function doesnt bring up anything. Would really appreciate any advice tips etc.

smurf84
17th Feb 2012, 02:39
vish320 - As per the Fragrant Harbour forum, posts dating back to 2009 suggest that after the final interview in Hong Kong, Cathay recruited around 70 cadets ('worldwide') for further flight training/grading in Adelaide. I assume it would be a similar figure this time. Tough competition, considering the recruitment process is ongoing in approx. 15 countries (if I'm not mistaken).

Dub32 - There isn't any specific forum to discuss the technical interview questions. Candidates who passed earlier haven't shared their experiences either. So don't expect much. Get on with your books and be prepared. Maybe 'Ace the technical Pilot interview' would help. That's all I can think of at the moment. Regarding the initial interview (technical + personal) , I'm pretty sure about the high standards they set when it comes to 'communication skills' i.e. a candidate's fluency in English.

Gibberish is a recipe for disaster.

cyrilroy21
17th Feb 2012, 16:33
Here are some notes I copied down back in July 2011 from the Cathay thread

CX experience.
What to expect from Cathay:
It was a long time ago I applied and I was in a much worse off place that I am now, so if you have just applied, be patient. The process for me took just over one year.
I did not make it all the way through, and am not disappointed. I would have like to worked for CX but was not happy about the pay they were offering, this came about because of personal circumstances current job and other issues (women).
Hopefully the following is something that you can all look through and appreciate as some information garnered through the trial and tribulation I endured. I loved the process and and used it for what it was, good practice.
The following is some info that I memorised and had on que cards to study and revise on top of the basic info they give you. It came in handy for me, and hopefully it may for you too. I will try and present it in chronological order with initial letter first then all subsequent information needed for initial and secondary interviews/selection then my 2 HKD’s worth.
Dear Mr_Pilot
With reference to your application to the Cathay Pacific Airways Second Officer, we confirm our conversation inviting you to an Initial Interview in XXX at XXXX on XXXX.
Venue: Cathay Pacific Office
XXXX
***Please continue to correspond with our Hong Kong office and only contact the XXXX office in the event of a cancellation on the day of your interview
XXXX
Kindly present the original and a photocopy of the following documents at the interview:
· Flying Licence, if applicable
· Medical Certificate applicable to above-mentioned Flying Licence
· All logbooks
· Results of PPL/CPL/ATPL theory examinations and proof of Multi-Engine Instrument Rating, if applicable
· Passport
· Education Qualifications including public exam results, high school certificates, university transcripts and certificate
· An update copy of your resume
· One passport size photograph with your name and application number on the reverse
Following this interview, shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend further assessments in Hong Kong. The necessary tickets on Cathay Pacific Airways and accommodation for the duration of the interview process will be provided. Kindly note that expenses will not be paid for attendance at the initial interview.
Enclosed is a confidential medical questionnaire which you are required to complete and submit at the interview in a sealed envelope, marked with your name and application number. An attachment entitled “Job Knowledge Information” is also included. This information should be studied in preparation for the 45 minute technical multiple-choice questionnaire.
If you have any queries, please contact XXXX
Yours sincerely
CX Office
Cathay Pacific Airways is pleased to invite you to attend our Second Officer Initial Selection in XXXX.
The process comprises of the following components:
- Interview with both Personal and Technical Questions (45mins)
(This is easy and should not pose a problem if consideration and preparation is done in accordance with the practice questions and you make up additional ones of your own)
- Technical multiple-choice Questionnaire (45mins)
So easy that it was not funny for someone with some flying experience – for those with none, you will need to study the book that they give you from the early turn of the century, I would recommend some addition basic reading too on Basic Aeronautical Knowledge, you should be able to fine enough online or go to a flying school and see if you can buy or borrow one, about 40 USD I would expect, or even half for a used one.
- Reasoning Test (45mins)
Again this was an absolute breeze, very much different to the QF boxes reasoning test, but matrix aligned reasoning of addition multiplication and substitution or rotation in picture format. I got a copy that some d1ckheads before me decided to write all over. I was happy to see they circled about 5 wrong. This is easy again if you look into your local library, or look up MENSA testing and do some practices to get the hang of what is required.
- A Personality Assessment (30mins)
I can not remember if I did do this, I don’t think I did. I honestly believe these are BS in the most part, but sometimes do keep the loons out. Hence maybe the reason I did not progress further than I did.
I did want to attach the basic letter of offered conditions here and will do so when I relearn how to do so via an outsorced HTML site. Basically it is 4 pages of notes, so the figures and fact are then public.
This is what you should prepare to know:
Approx 180,000 aircraft movements per year.
Just under 27 million pax per year.
1.8 million tonnes of freight.
90 million dollar revenue, 14 million profit.
19,000 core staff
27,000 in subsidiaries.
Founded 25/09/1946 by an American, Roy C Farrell, and Australian, Sydney H De Kranzow.
Major achievement in 1998 was achieving permission of the polar routing to NYC direct.
Swire group is the parent company and controlling intrest. They have a large stake in and control over many other businesses around asia, including – Air China, AC Cargo, Air Hong Kong, Dragon Air, etc.
Destinations:
Johanesburg
Adelaide
Brisbane
Cairns
Melbourne
Perth
Sydney
Auckland
Beijing
Shanghai
Taipai
Bahrain
Chenai
Dehli
Mumbai
Karachi
Jeddah
Ryadah
Colombo
Dubai
Paris
Frankfurt
Milan
Rome
Moscow
Amsterdam
London
Toronto
Vancover
Los Angeles
New York
San Fransisco
Denpesar
Jakata
Surabaya
Kula Lumpor
Penang
Cebu
Manilla
Singapore
Bangkok
Ho Chi Minh
Fuokoka
Nagoya
Osaka
Supporo
Tokyo
Seoul
Need to know: Hong Kong Lat Long: 22 deg 18 min 32 sec north. 113 deg 54 min 52 sec east.
Hong Kong: 95% ethnic Chinese – spoken language in my opinion is about 95% as well. Although you can get around speaking English it is about equivalent to living in Qubec city… although english is another official language people do treat you differently if you can not speak the language… although unlike the French Canadians I found the ethnic majority of Chinese to be very pleasant and accepting that I could not speak much of the language.
City consists of 7 million people.
New territories have been added. Know something about these.
Three goals of CX:
Safety first
Grow winning team
Socially and Environmentaly responsible
Base starting salary:
Approx 45,000 HKD refer to pictures for more official documentation and reasoning.
After expenses of living (housing, eating out, transport, bills and leisure expenses the take home pay after tax I calculated to be about 10,000HKD)
NB/ this is being frugal and living below my current standard of living. It is important to look for a place that you want to be happy living in when over there.
A/C and numbers:
Subject to change and I have found many varying sources from both official CX websites and documentation contradicting itself and other user posts here on prune.
120 currently online:
777-200 (5)
777-300 (12)
777-300ER (19)
747-400 (21)
747-400F (6)
747-400BCF (12)
747-400ECF (6)
A340-300 (11)
A330-300 (32)
AC on order: 90
777-300 (27)
747-8F (10)
A350-900 (32)
A330-300 (21)
Engines currently used on each AC:
777-200 T877
777-300 T884B
777-300ER GE90-115B
747-400 variants:
PW 4052
RB211-524
A340-300 CFM-56-564
A330-300 T772
You should know static or full thrust ratings for these engines, but will not post these as you need to know why the engines designators are what they are:
Ie. T877 is the Trent 8th series engine with 77,000 pound of thrust (from memory).
You need to know this if questioned.
NB// For anyone with previous flight experience; know your type and the speeds etc. Know what does what and why.
I unfortunately got asked some curly questions and was told to explain why certain aspects are used for certain periods in flight and why we do not change our speeds etc (company policy for us). But you will get asked to demonstrate the knowledge you have… not just regurgitate it.
Know your emergency procedures: (you should already) and more importantly think about the reasoning behind why.
Questions I was asked through various stages and prep’ed for:
 Name and identify the following AC and give reason to how you came to your choice. (best practice – go on airliners.net and have a look through there as there are multi-choice games where you can pick AC types, after a while you should form some distinction)
 What is the x-wind limit of current AC type, is this a demonstrated limit, what does demonstrated mean?
 This is the landing designated, wind is XX/XXX tell me x-wind and headwind components: I used the 60/45/30 method of 90/75/50 for my answering which seemed fine.
 What does a SO do? What would a likely roster be? How much time on and off do you expect to have?
 What AC do we operate?
 Where do we fly in Europe/Asia/Australasia/Japan/Middle East/Americas?
 What AC are on order?
 Why did you want to fly?
 What have you done towards getting your qualifications to fly?
 Why did it take you so long?
 Why did you choose your degree?
 What aspects did you enjoy most?
 Which aspect did you struggle with?
 What will you do if you don’t work for CX?
 How did you fund your PPL?
 How long did this take?
 Why did it take this long? Is this normal?
 When did you go solo?
 What other activities do you do?
 Why should we hire you?
 What would your friends say about you?
 What would ex bosses say about you?
 What role do you assume in teamwork?
 Are you a leader or follower? Why… justify your answer and give and example.
 Why did you choose aviation?
 How did you find out about the program?
 What is the differences b/n leading edge and trailing edge devices? What are the associated advantages of both.
 Why do we use flaps?
 Do we have nosewheel braking?
 What is the antiskid brake system… explain.
 What affect does G loading have on stall speeds… how is this calculated?
 Describe current job, boss, working environment.
 Tell me about CX.
 Who founded it.
 What was the first jet aircraft brought onto line?
 How did the idea for CX get started?
 Given a choice for AC type which would you choose and why?
 If you smelt alcohol on the Capt. Breath what would you do?
 Flight planned into sev turb what do you do?
 What is fly by wire and how does it work?
 Choosing between the A340 and 777 give reason for choice.
 Flex (derated) thrust… give three reasons for use.
 Define Vmcg Vmca Va V1 V2 at what height do you have to be one engine out at V2 what gradient is then expected? Gross and Net.
 What is the point of trim tanks, which AC have them?
 What engines does each plane operate?
 Why do we fly at high altitude?
 Rostered duty times? 5o 3off x 3 then 10 days rostered off. Normal pattern.
 3 reasons of why you wanted to become a pilot?
 What is the operating level of a 777?
 TOD calculations?
 Jet engine operations explain?
 How does a jet slow down? In air, and on ground?
 AC used at Parafield?
 Timings for each course at Parafield?
 Allowance paid while at Parafield?
Stage two acceptance letter:
Dear Mr_Pilot
Further to your application for the Cadet Pilot Programme and subsequent selection, we are pleased to advise you that you are shortlisted for the Stage 2 Interview.
We will inform you of the exact date of your interview in due course. Please contact us XXXXXXXXXXXXX if you have any queries.
Yours sincerely
Flight Crew Recruitment (Cadet Pilot)
Then…
Mr_Pilot
We hereby invite you to attend a Stage 2 Cadet Pilot Program Interview in Hong Kong on XXXXX.
Kindly provide the following information:
1) The airport you wish to use for departure and arrival; it must be a Cathay Pacific Airways on-line port and provide your name according to the passport.
2) Air passage will be provided to your spouse should he/she be interested in joining with you during the trip. Please provide copy of marriage certificate and passport details.
3) Current correspondence address and updated contact number for delivery of your tickets from Hong Kong (please provide physical address as FedEx does not deliver packages to Post Office Boxes).
4) Cathay Pacific will provide two to three nights' hotel accommodation only. The number of nights provided is determined by your flight schedule. You are welcome to extend your stay by arriving early or departing later at your own expense (please kindly arrange accommodation on your own), so please provide the travelling dates intended.
For entering Hong Kong, kindly visit the following web-site for visa enquiries:
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
Any fines payable as a result of failure to have the correct travel documentation and/or Hong Kong visa at the time of travel ill be borne by the applicant.
Best Regards,
CX Cadet Program
Dear Mr_Pilot
SECOND OFFICER INITIAL INTERVIEW
Welcome to CX city, blah blah… Enclosed is a map of the surrounding areas for navigation. Access is strictly controlled, get your pass from downstairs in the main entrance.
Day 1:
Welcome brief:
Nothing to really say.
Interview:
Laid back and mostly informal – the process is varied, as some were interviewed by HR and a pilot where some were interviewed by just pilots it seemed. Know how to explain things about aviation if you are already a pilot, know timings and how these change with Longtitude and why. Know distances and timings of aircraft to fly between places.
Group exercise:
Scenario given where each member has 5 minutes to read a brief of what is involved and requested of them to choose a commander for space mission.
NB/ Each member is given different information for the selection. There are numerous applicants on the table in the middle, be sure to pick these up the examiners do not say anything and will not comment.
Use the board for working things out. Work together and divide tasks. They are looking to see you can work as part of a team. You then have to choose someone to present your decision and then answer each a question proposed by the interviewer.
How did you feel about the choice?
If you walked out for five minutes and came back, what would you change?
How did you think the group worked together?
What would you do differently?
Who was a leader?
Were they good?
What role do you think you played?
Was this more important or less important?
Etc.
Flight Planing exercise:
Given to a group of two you are given 10 minutes to digest an information package and prepare for a series of following questions?
NB/ you are given different information and should collaborate from the start. Ask to compare notes and make sure you both understand the additional differences.
Then you are given a series of scenarios at which you are asked to work both seperately and together.
At the end of the exercise you are required to write a report for management, into how and why you came to your decisions.
Mental Maths:
Seriously hard for some questions. Of absolute no real relevance to flying but more so conceptual equations like .9999 x 9999.9 x 1/9 = xxxxxxxxxx there is no multiple choice given for this, but you have to give a numerical answer. Horrible. I did okay I think as I have taught some of this crap maths, but find it provides no real benefit except for flight calculations or approximations in conceptualising data or timings.It may be good to revise again a math section on an IQ booklet if you have one, or again borrow one from the local library.
Harrison Test:
I like working with my hands.
I like being appreciated for my worth.
I like being paid a lot.
I like being autonomous.
I like talking others around to my point of view.
I like helping others.
I like teaching
Rank in order of importance.
Again, I feel like this is absolute BS and can not be studied for. I took this semi-seriously finishing about 17 questions in 13 minutes, at the end I was given a question that others were not (that I spoke to) saying to judge the relation of importance from highly like to dislike on areas of science math, being outdoors, etc etc.
Do not try and prep or manipulate as you should never try and fit into an organisation you are not designed for. Work for a company that want you for who you are otherwise you will end up being very unhappy. As I have tried and tested, changing my resume and profile to suit others.
Day 2:
Un/fortunately I did not pass and thus am unable to comment on any of the following, but I am sure there is some information on here for you to sift through.
Instead I got to go see the Big Budda via crystal cabin cable car – awesome and well worth the experience (although I don’t know about the management interview or medical having your balls felt up (– speaking to others), I guess that could have been just as enlightening!!! = - )
General Briefing:
English Language Test:
Medical Exam:
Uniform Measurement:
Management Interview:
Conclusion:
All in all I loved the experience that CX offered me. Speaking to my partner before we set off and after receiving the initial letter of consideration we were excited. However, with time and reading through posts and crunching the sums and life cost of moving, the excitement waned. However, the idea of a free trip was nice enough to push up the motivation levels again.
It is always good to feel loved and appreciated (god knows there are enough GA operators out there that would rather feed their dog than a working pilot). But I applied when I was not working, I then have moved on to a wonderful operator and do not want to leave unless I get something with more respect and money advancing my career towards and airline.
CX does provide this outcome for you. But I believe I came unstuck in the interview section for voicing my concerns over the pay package offered and that CX was now considered very much to be a seniority based airline. Interviewing with 1500+ hours I did not think I would have much trouble in adapting to the flight requirements and adjustment of an airline as I have done some GA time. Taking the package a s a whole would be a pay cut for me, and I would still be away from home the same amount. I have a lovely home and am able to live in a big city, in better conditions and location than anything near on offer in HK.
However, as one post beautifully put it, it does not matter if you have a million hours and 69 touch and goes on spaceship one, you are still going to get paid and treated the same as someone with no experience. You will not get promoted in front of these people and will not get recognition. This irritated me, and I made these concerns somewhat felt. In retrospect it was not the smartest thing to do. And ultimately may not have even been my reason for not being considered further.
If I was living in a Donga that I was four+ years ago on half my wage flying in the stinking heat and crap of just moving into GA, I would jump at this opportunity and not look back. It would maybe mean that I was even up for probationary first officer at this current time. However, I chose a different path. I am paid well, I am enjoying my life, and I have the ability to move and change my employer when I want – or when I am told by my boss or partner!
But I do wish everyone luck that does apply for this scheme. I do hope that you fly because you love it. I do hope you are going to be happy with your decision. I do hope that when things do pick up you get better conditions. I do hope that these conditions do not come until others that waited it out get them first, because I for one will be casting the first stone of annoyance if you think things will change. The bar has been set and it has been set low. As long as you are happy to live with this decision and raise kids etc in a local lifestyle mannar.
But I do hope that you realise what you can get paid somewhere else if you do wait it out.
I do hope you have read through all the pages previous and that you are happy in knowing that you may not fly for a while. I hope you like living in Hong Kong and realise what a life of an Airline pilot entails. It is not all glitz and Glamour, and if you are young and starry eyed, know very well, you will having nothing to look back on if you enter the program with no experience doing anything else.
Live within your means, and these will change. The flight crew you will be working with, are on 3-6 times as much money as you, and it is doubtful you will ever be able to accumulate as much money as these people. These will not be the people that you are able to make stable friendships and alliances as you are coming in on the local equivalent wage. Do not expect to eat at expat restaurants or get blind drunk in the Fong without worrying about where your next 70HKD are from. Although I hope you are able to find friends and make it all work out, I would think long and hard about leaving mates in whatever country you are that are happy to pay for a round and support you where you are on equal footing.
That being said I do know people that are in CX and are happy there. I guess once you are there and set up and established it may be alright as you hang out with other SO’s or expats, but again, not many people go there unless on a lot of money. And by a lot I mean more than twice what some of them get paid for doing the same thing in an equivalent first world country.
But judging from the postings and experience levels of people that came before, I felt somewhat embarrassed to apply for this scheme. Just as I would if someone with 500 hours applied and was hired for my job. Not to mention the proposed safety risks I would not like being undercut in pay.
I thank everyone for the postings they have helped put up as it has helped me make an informed and I believe balanced decision. CX do not care about you as an employer now as much about you as a number that can be incorporated into their system. I would love to be a number in this system, but the numbers being offered to me for this ‘opportunity’ are non-negotiable, and unfortunately a breaking point for many people.
All in all, the thing is I love my job, and still have room to grow in it. I am treated well and respected by my boss and colleagues. Hopefully with time and the growth in global economy again expansion or eventual retirement will force out more pilots, and the increased demand allows me to work locally for an operator that values the time and effort I have already invested in not only myself but aviation in general. This may be prudent to remember in that you are betting the next ten years of your life (6 years to probationary FO, then other 4 to accumulate enough hours to become competitive in a labour force for repatriation or to any other carrier re:P2X rating) against the concept that CX will improve your conditions above another upturn in the economy. And if this upturn occurs they will increase your wage to that of expatriated labour forces brought in ahead of you to ease any shortcomings? Again, I do not want to push my views on others as it is a decision for each persons circumstances, and if given the same thing a year ago I would have been a lot more humble and tried to suck up my pride. I want to let anyone out there that is aspiring to move onwards and upwards that although CX does offer something now that is good for some it is not always good for all. If you have the drive and passion for aviation it will still remain. I know people who love flying are now depressed and considering career moves away from aviation as they do not get to fly in being a SO. Just because you do not become a airline pilot now does not make you a failure in any means. There are a myriad of jobs out there and employers do look for people with the right attitude. Channel your passion to shaping the right stuff and you will be fine. Good luck to all and I hope this helps someone out there as many before have helped and inspired me.
MP

sarge75
18th Feb 2012, 13:14
250+ hours = advanced course...... Bahahahahahaha

Tough competition....... Bahahahahaha

The reason they are in India is they can't get people from the rest of the world (where they recruit) as the package they are offering is little more than slave labour.

LieDetector
18th Feb 2012, 13:25
Any Idea about the terms and conditions?

sarge75
18th Feb 2012, 13:30
Are you for real?

Try doing some reading

smurf84
18th Feb 2012, 15:17
LieDetector - I'm not playing the blame game here, but it is very obvious that you keep telling everyone else to go through the entire thread when they want to know something and then you pop the same question.

Anyway, I suppose you should pay a visit to the Fragrant Harbour forum. You'll find all the answers there.

smurf84
22nd Feb 2012, 06:35
When did the interviews in Mumbai kick-off?

I'd be very surprised to see someone kind enough to post the interview questions (technical/personal) on this forum. Lets wait and see.

Spitfire88
22nd Feb 2012, 07:07
They started on the 20-21 imo. Mines on the 23rd. Will post a description afterwards...

addy1847
23rd Feb 2012, 04:03
Guys who have been called for the interview, on what basis they are shortlisting people, do you all have more than 250 hrs of flying experience. Unfortunately i haven't got any call. when did you guys actually apply.

Spitfire88
24th Feb 2012, 07:09
Went for the CX AE interview yesterday,

I dont know on what basis their shortlisting candidates, ( besides 250 hr reqment) cause there were candates present who had applied this january too.

I was called for the 1pm batch, there were 5 other candidates along with me. In a random order u are sent to either the interview or the tech written or the abstract test.

The tech written was very easy,
Only thing imp worth mentioning abt tht would be ur ILS based sums and conversions ( m/s to knts and others)

The abstract reasoning test,
Raven test | Raven progressive matrices test (http://www.raventest.net/) this is what u shld expect.

The interview,
2interviewers, one guy will talk to u abt ur history along with cathay and hongkong. They trying to see if ur passionate abt cathay and hongkong and if u could survive there.
The other will talk to u abt the tech stuff. mostly basic aerodynamics and principle of flight. Expect a few met questions and maybe to desipher a chart.
Also brush up the specifics about the planes u flew while ur training.

If they see ur not sure about a certain topic theyl question u more abt tht topic to try and find faults and limitations
Th interview questions covered in cyrilroy21 post pretty much covers everything u need to know. Just be warned there are some inaccuracies there.
eg: Founded on 24th Sept. 90 billion HKD revenue, 14 billion HKD profit

harsh786techy
25th Feb 2012, 10:06
Out of curiosity I just wanted to ask why you mentioned the following

"I'd still be happy even if I didn't get through."

Is there anything you did not like about the airline or you have better options..

Wish you Best of Luck,

smurf84
25th Feb 2012, 10:23
harsh -

Better options in the Indian aviation industry? I'd kill to see that day.

I was overwhelmed by the entire process. Ever since I got my Indian CPL in early 2011, this was my first ever airline exam/interview and it was a memorable experience, considering it was Cathay Pacific, and comparing it to the horrendous stories shared by other members when they went to give the SpiceJet exam. I'm not aware how Go Air does it. The questions for Cathay's written exam .was a lot easier and made more sense to us. I understand some would disagree saying that "Oh, you're going to fly a jet engine and you need to know a lot about it to give the exam and interview". To my surprise, I didn't get to see that. I wasn't even quizzed on how a jet engine works, or what the FMS does. Cathay has always maintained that it is a place for learning. When the right time comes, you will be proficient in all those areas through on-the-job experience (when you monitor all the activities as a Second Officer).

Each candidate was treated with so much respect and the interview panel (mine was done by the legendary Capt. Alan Wilson who is the Manager, Flying Training for Cathay Pacific, an exceptional person). Anyway, I don't expect to get through in one go. Of course this is a worldwide recruitment drive and there were quite a few experienced pilots who came for the interview. I'm just another CPL holder with 260 odd hours. I can only hope for a miracle. The only problem lies within the transition period from a Second Officer to a First Officer which will be testing times.

Overall, it was a satisfying day.

P.S. - I was disappointed with 2-3 candidates who were giving the written tech exam. Shocked to learn they were not even capable of converting knots to m/sec, recognize the transponder codes for emergency, comm failure and hijack. If I ever get to know these guys get through to the final interview in Hong Kong, then God save the aviation industry.

smurf84
29th Feb 2012, 08:02
bond737 - I had mine in Mumbai last week. It was alright, not much I can say at the moment. Written test was as easy as duck soup. It got easier for certain other candidates who were happily discussing the answers together while the HR guy went out for a couple of minutes.

I got a bit drifted away with 2 questions during the technical interview. I have no idea what the Raven's test results would look like :) Makes me nervous.

Like I said before, if I get through to the next stage, I'll be very happy about it. But if I don't, I wouldn't tear myself apart and go into depression mode. I faced stiff competition as there were experienced pilots. I was told by the recruitment specialist they would get back to me in 2-3 weeks, regardless. I'm sure they gave you the same time period. Good luck to you buddy. Will post the outcome of the interview once I get the email.

smurf84
29th Feb 2012, 14:47
Anyways, I hope we both make it through stage1 and I look forward to meeting you in Hong Kong for stage2.

That's optimism buddy. I hope Lady Luck is with us. :)

ashokbhatt1
29th Feb 2012, 15:49
jus curious to know did any of u guys received any booklet to study i have my interview next week any help would be appreciated.

smurf84
29th Feb 2012, 16:26
Absolutely nothing. That used to be the case some time ago. Now it comes down to self-study.

ashokbhatt1
1st Mar 2012, 14:40
gyus it will be great if you could help me on how much time they will take to inform me weather i have made it or not?//

smurf84
1st Mar 2012, 14:55
ashok - The recruitment team will inform you in 2-3 weeks after your initial interview. Are you sitting for it in Delhi? Good luck.

smurf84
5th Mar 2012, 02:03
harsh786techy

Cathay Pacific SO

Is there anyone from delhi who got a call for 29 February.

When I read this post from the previous page, I reckon CX went to Delhi too.

Boeing Europe
6th Mar 2012, 03:18
Hi guys,
I applied to CX about 6 months ago for the second officer position and I still have heard nothing I have 1200TT 900B738,I selected london as my prefered port of travel/screaning can anyone tell me roughly how long they waited

smurf84
6th Mar 2012, 04:19
bond737 -

If you got that piece of info from SS, you're right then. Wow, 78 pilots to choose from? Now I'm shaking in my boots.

Boeing Europe -

The best thing to do would be to speak to the HR team in Hong Kong and find out what's happening. I reckon emails wouldn't be entertained immediately.

robin.pereira
6th Mar 2012, 04:41
Folks,

I had my interview with cathay on the 23rd. I do not hold a bachelor's degree. i only did Year 12 with maths and physics. i'm doing a correspondence bachelor degree course at the moment. Do you think that will ruin my chances? i mean is it a requirement, cause I couldn't find it on their website. it just said, To be considered for a flying career with us you must:

Have completed secondary school and have good passes in mathematics and science, or have a degree or diploma, or have passes in all ATPL subjects

can somebody please confirm?

smurf84
6th Mar 2012, 04:51
robin -

As long as you did well in your interview, technical written test and reasoning test, I don't think it would be a problem, as per the criteria posted. You might need to get a confirmation on that from the right people.

bond737 - Do you know anything about it?

ashokbhatt1
6th Mar 2012, 05:41
i gave my initial on 27th plannin to mail them by end of this week.would let you all know about further details.anything informative you guys come up with please share.

smurf84
6th Mar 2012, 06:26
:) We got our interviews done before the 24th, but two weeks from Feb 29 would be March 14. I'll definitely call HR by then. I don't think it would be a good idea to muck around with them now.

ixg888
6th Mar 2012, 08:35
nice link! do u have the answer keys? lol.. 9 pounds!

Spitfire88
6th Mar 2012, 09:36
@ ixg888 i dont have the answer key.

Few of my friends who attended the cx interview on the 22 and the 23 got results, but it was negative...

joseph f
6th Mar 2012, 10:30
hey new here following this thread closely.gave my initial on 27th got a call this morning followed by the mail called for second round can choose from dates 23rd or 26th april.If intrested mail the closest port of boarding further detail will be provided once attendence is confirmed.tickets may be provided for 2 days in advance as per the avalibility of tickets can come before that but expances you have to bear for extra stay.

anyone else got positive ????pm me we can go together.

joseph f
6th Mar 2012, 11:28
ya i think its completely random .one of my friend gave on 23rd think so but no rply yet.pm you how it went with all the details soon.

ckalli
6th Mar 2012, 12:21
i had mine on 24th.. no response.

i had asked them at the end of the interview if they would contact us either way, or just successful candidates. they said that everyone would receive an email within 2 weeks. it wrapped up on the 29th. so im guessing by march 14th we should know.

fingers crossed.

Spitfire88
7th Mar 2012, 08:10
@bond
Yes, a friend i met who gave it the same day/time as me got his results which was unsuccessful ... i havent got mine yet.

valantisaero
8th Mar 2012, 02:04
Hi to all and good luck with the outcome of your interviews.
Any info about the dresscode?:hmm:

joseph f
8th Mar 2012, 12:56
hello mates i have to reply cathay weather i am taking interviews on 23rd or 26th. anyone here with same dates ?????so we can go together it would be fun.i am from mumbai.pm me your number if anyone has been offered same date.

cheers

smurf84
8th Mar 2012, 13:42
Mate, quite a few of us haven't heard from Cathay yet, let alone the interview and travel dates. :)

It's amazing that you were informed about the results just a week after your interview. Congratulations.

ckalli
9th Mar 2012, 15:14
anyone got an email yet? :bored:

smurf84
9th Mar 2012, 15:26
ckalli - Where did you go for your interview?

The recruitment team clearly mentioned 2-3 weeks and nothing before that, if I'm not mistaken. I reckon they'll let it all out next week.

joseph f seems to be the only guy in India who got the call for Stage 2 in Hong Kong. Good for him, but I'm still flummoxed.

ckalli
9th Mar 2012, 15:49
at mumbai on the 24th.

ya they told me 2 weeks.
wondering if thats 2 weeks from the 24th.. or 2 weeks from the 29th when it ended.

smurf84
10th Mar 2012, 08:03
I know we're not there yet, but I read this post on the Fragrant Harbour forum about the forgivable loan at CX. The fact that CX pays an unbelievable 1.2 million HKD (I don't know how they came up with that figure) for our training/flight grading/checks. Now does anyone know if for any reason the candidate fails during flight grading or found incompetent during the checks, does he/she have to pay back CX the remaining amount? Forget the remaining amount, does he/she have to pay anything?

cyrilroy21
10th Mar 2012, 10:05
High flying aspirations

For the very first time Cathay Pacific has sent a recruitment team to India for hiring second officers. The airline that is recruiting 300 pilots annually promises long-term career development path to high potential candidates. By Sudipta Dev

To keep pace with its growth plans Cathay Pacific has a target of recruiting 300 pilots annually for the next two years. A high level recruitment team was in Mumbai recently to do the first phase of screening of 77 second officers from India. It is for the very first time that the airline is doing recruitment for flight crew in India.Till recently Cathay Pacific has been majorly hiring from the traditional markets, mostly Commonwealth countries like the UK, Australia and Canada, besides of course Hong Kong nationals. In fact 43 nationalities have been working as flight crew with the airline. “In India we see a great number of very well qualified candidates. Essentiallly we chose to come at this time as as we had many applications from Indian nationals. They have been writing to us constantly though we have never advertised for the positions. We have looked at the best applications and have called them,” says Captain Paul Gunnel, deputy chief pilot (Airbus), Cathay Pacific.

The airline has three streams for the recruitment of second officers – those with with no previous experience (this is only Hong Kong ID card holders); advanced entry (having commercial pilot license and 250 hours flying time); and transition training entry ( air transport pilot license and 1500 flying hours). From India this time recruitment is being done for the advanced entry stream. The recruitment team have been interviewing six people every day and those who pass the initial screening will be contacted for the second stage of selection. The first phase involves three aspects – technical paper, reasoning test and an interview. All the positions are Hong Kong based. “We will take as many proven suitable. It is important to stress that it is not a competition, those selected must meet our standards,” says Gunnel, pointing out that following the recruitment team's return to Hong Kong they will take a call on whom to call for the second stage. “We offer a package that is competitive for the candidates we seek and we offer a full career in aviation,” he adds.

Training and development

All pilots hired by Cathay Pacific go to Australia following their selection and depending on their experience there are three different training packages. The training programme in Australia is funded by the company. “After training they will get their Hong Kong pilot license and second officer training in Hong Kong. The second phase of the training is for two months,” mentions Gunnel.

The airline is committed to career development of all its personnel and therefore wants to hire only those second officers who possess command potential. The career path from a second officer to first officer and finally a Cathay Pacific captain is what the company envisages for them at the time of recruitment. For second officers who show excellence at work it takes about three to five years to become first officers and then another five to six years to reach the position of commander and captain.

While technical skill is a key criteria for selection the recruitment experts look at other important aspects as well. “We are looking at them to be commanders so we want candidates who are motivated to be with us. They should be disciplined professionals who have a passion for aviation. They should be willing to work hard to get where they want to be,” says Gunnel.

For an airline that has a flight crew from 43 different countries one of the most significant factors is the cosmopolitan mindset of candidates. “A cockpit is a claustrophobic environment and to work in close contact with people from so many different nationalities and cultures it is essential for them to have a cosmopolitan outlook to be able to work in that environment,” states Gunnel.

For an industry that constantly goes through ups and downs, Gunnel points out that Cathay has been good at weathering the storms and promises to meet long term career aspirations of its personnel.

High flying aspirations - Express TravelWorld (http://www.expresstravelworld.com/201203/life01.shtml)

joseph f
10th Mar 2012, 15:54
cyrilroy21

i dont know how much time you spend to search all these information on internet.
but one thing that i would like to say is that everytime you post somthing this informative weather the selection process in all stages of interview or this post i always make me search for LIKE option on this thread.]

thanks for all these information.it benefits many ppl like me here.

ashokbhatt1
11th Mar 2012, 12:00
i had my interview on 27th feb i have 220 hours of actual flying and 20 hours of sim but the requirement states they need 250 hours for advanced entry second officer and the post of cyrilroy21 which shows the interview of cathay recruitment team saying they were lookin for guys with 250 hours.
Since i was called for the interview and even my resume stated i had 220 hours is there still a reason for them to reject my application on basics of hourly requirement i.e 250 hours?????????my interview went good and they dint even discussed the hours thing with me.

any help on this would be great.

smurf84
11th Mar 2012, 13:49
If you did well in the written test, abstract reasoning test, tech and personal interviews, I'm sure CX will bend those requirements and invite you to Stage 2. They desperately need Second Officers. You would be given 4 months time to take your tally to 250 hours i.e. subject to passing Stage 2 (this piece of info comes straight from the recruitment team).

ashokbhatt1
11th Mar 2012, 14:10
thanks mate.i was worried as i dint get any call yet on the other hand joseph who game same day as me even on same time got call for second stage.

smurf84
11th Mar 2012, 16:27
Like I said - Surprisingly, at the moment, out of the 77 pilots who appeared for the initial interview in Mumbai, 'joseph f' seems to be the only fortunate one who got invited (just one week after the interview) to Stage 2 in Hong Kong.

ashokbhatt1
11th Mar 2012, 17:13
even i am surprised how he got call for second stage in just 1 week.We gave our interviews on same time and even discussed the interview both of our interview went well.Mr sunny s told while checking papers for abstract reasoning that joseph was the only guy who had got all these questions right till date but i dont think that should be the reason for the company to call the candidate but u never know how they work.

fingers crossed.

smurf84
11th Mar 2012, 18:47
ashokbhatt1 - What's going on buddy? I'm amused by your contradicting statements.

On Feb 29, you post a message jus curious to know did any of u guys received any booklet to study i have my interview next week any help would be appreciated.

Today, you clearly mention i had my interview on 27th feb

And all that rubbish you just wrote with regard to Sunny Singh evaluating some guy's abstract reasoning test in your presence!! Come on. You're kidding, right?

Whoever this is, I hope you haven't created a fake user id to have some fun here. Cause it isn't anymore.

ashokbhatt1
12th Mar 2012, 04:11
i have messaged you the details hope this helps.require any further information pm me rather than posting here.

regards

ckalli
14th Mar 2012, 03:31
anyone contacted hk?

cobracommander
14th Mar 2012, 03:40
Mr.bhatt and now Smurf also seem to know something
:rolleyes:

its been a bit quiet here ever since they have been PMing each other :p

smurf84
14th Mar 2012, 04:45
Haha. I'm alive. Very much.

I was busy with the Fragrant Harbour forum for the past 3 days as there was an India bashing campaign going on.

Ashok bhatt's PM. I was expecting him to spill the beans thinking he created a fake user id. But he chose not to. The guy created an account just when the CX interviews got over. Still doesn't seem right.

cobracommander - Turns out my absence from this thread (for a few days) really got some people thinking.

smurf84
14th Mar 2012, 04:49
ckalli - Give it a few more days buddy. If you don't get to hear from CX, call them. Don't wait for anyone else to do it.

ckalli
14th Mar 2012, 06:12
couldn't get through..
will try again soon. sent them an email. doubt ill get a response though!

ashokbhatt1
15th Mar 2012, 08:45
the wating period is killing guys any update please share if you have any.\
I just send them the mail inquiring about my application hope to get reply by tomorrow or monday.
Anyone who have previously inquired please share???

ashokbhatt1
16th Mar 2012, 08:26
hello guys would like to share some info.

I mailed cathay day before yesterday and they were quick in responding to mail.
I mailed them to update me on my application and their response was-

Dear Mr xxxxx
thank you for your mail.
Please to advice you that your application is still under process any updates on it we will advice you.(using my grammar simple sentense as its a pain to type exact sentences).
Any other inforfation if we have we will update you on that.

Best Regards
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx

As i said the waiting period is like a killer as this was my first interview i called Mr sunny singh today the number given on website to contact about info on application is +85227478247 but no one pick up the phone on this so call on +85227478249 direct number of sunny singh might be his cell number he told me that they have not been sent the assessment yet as soon as they get they will send me via email.I further inquired him as i was told it will take 2 weeks but it has been more than that so he said there had been delay because company is recruiting globally.Very friendly guy nice to talk will give you all the information you need.

Hope this helps.

ckalli
16th Mar 2012, 08:33
@ashokbhatt1 thank you.

ckalli
20th Mar 2012, 02:28
just got an email..
selected for stage 2. they will inform me of the dates in due course.

anyone else?

ashokbhatt1
20th Mar 2012, 07:35
got the mail today for second stage.
waiting for the exact dates.

congrats to all who made it.

captain.weird
20th Mar 2012, 07:52
Congratulations for the guys who made it! You see, if you put the effort, energy and focus, you WILL make it!!

What did you guys study for stage one? I'm really really happy for those! Good job!!

arathi7
20th Mar 2012, 07:59
i am gonna pursue ab-initio pilot training next month and my medicals 1 is under process.the doctor told me that i had insignificant exophoria but my vision s quite normal..she toldme that its very mild and it can be corrected by doing some exercises which she instructed me to do! will i be declared as "unfit" because of this??:uhoh: plz help!

arathi7
20th Mar 2012, 08:16
im done wid class 2 now in my class 1 oly the opthalmologist told me this prob!:confused:

arathi7
20th Mar 2012, 08:19
i even sent a mail to vipin sharma (wing cdr-dgca) he told me that they wil decide when they receive my class 1 file!

im really afraid!:ouch:

ashokbhatt1
20th Mar 2012, 08:28
dgca sucks big time.my log book and license are with them from past 2 months i need it for cathay second stage even during first stage i had to show them the copy of dgca letter stating my docs are with dgca and they told me if u get selected for second stage get your logbook and license.Hope i get it before that.

smurf84
20th Mar 2012, 09:04
bond737 - on the same boat, buddy. The good news was in my inbox too. Congratulations. Whew! The wait was worthwhile (for the time being). Stage 2, bring it on!

Spitfire88
20th Mar 2012, 10:49
Got my result too today, hahaha good to see most of the other active people here made it through too, congrats...HK here we come!!

jackcarls0n
20th Mar 2012, 16:02
@ashok bhatt..

Good to find the number for Mr. SS. Is he based in India or HK? I mean i wanna call him up and ask him couple of things. But not sure what time zone he is on. I am on GMT+5:45...would it be a good thing to call him up?

So just looking for some info. thanks

ashokbhatt1
20th Mar 2012, 18:17
Mr sunny singh is currently in hong kong as of my knowledge as i just called him today.
hongkong is GMT+8 so call accordingly .Call around your time in morning there it will be afternoon so good time to call,
to be more informative mail him at [email protected] mention his name they will forward your mail to him and he will reply in couple of days.

hope this helps

jackcarls0n
20th Mar 2012, 18:33
Thanks for the information Ashok.

eddard_stark
21st Mar 2012, 08:54
Hey, was there some kind of a deadline or something regarding applications? Because, I filled up on 5th March and no response received yet. Can someone help me pls.

Spitfire88
21st Mar 2012, 12:48
So Nobody with a Negative reply from CX? In Mumbai FEB12 Batch.

78/78?

I personally know 5 people who didnt get through. So i highly doubt it.

smurf84
21st Mar 2012, 18:33
I wonder what happened to the username 'joseph f' who got invited to Stage 2 nearly two weeks ago. Another fake id I assume.

On a slightly scary note, one of the members mentioned on the Fragrant Harbour forum about all the pilots in his batch failing Flight Grading last month in Adelaide. We aren't there yet, but it is shocking. Does anybody know if this is true?

If it is, I reckon the pilots currently working for CX would be happy to hear this.

smurf84
21st Mar 2012, 18:37
bond737 - I'm sure all of them (77 pilots) aren't on PPRune. It is hard to get the exact figure though. Maybe 20-30 made it. :)

smurf84
22nd Mar 2012, 04:00
Some of the current pilots at CX believe that it is the birthright of all trainers/instructors to fail all cadet pilots (Indian/Malaysian/Pakistani) during flight grading. I know a cadet pilot (with 250+ hours) from HKG who went to the same flight school with me in Australia. He joined CX in mid 2011. During his flight grading, he told me about getting rusty initially on the Grob and the Simulator, but he picked it up in no time and graduated. The Aussie instructor personally told him that flight grading is all about improvising (in very little time) and displaying consistent performance. The fact that they wouldn't fail him right away.

jamessoong
22nd Mar 2012, 06:45
Hi everyone, new here and my 1st post.
I'm from Malaysia and i went for the 1st stage on the 13th Feb 2012
Just got the email from cathay pacific 2 days ago..
will be notified the exact date for 2nd stage in HK.
Anyone here from Malaysia :)

eddard_stark
23rd Mar 2012, 04:18
Any suggestions as to which location to fill in for interviews to get processed faster?

MidRange
24th Mar 2012, 12:28
hi guys,

I am invited to a cathay pacific SO advanced entry initial interview.
My question is with my 2000+ hrs TT ME Glass Cockpit shouldn't i get an interview for a transition training program? since i have these requirements?

Does anybody now if you get paid during this training and how much this is?

smurf84
24th Mar 2012, 19:22
I believe with 2000+ hours and ATPL subjects in your pocket, you are bound to get into the 12 weeks transition program. As far as I know, once you clear the initial interview, all expenses are paid for right from the Stage 2 interview in Hong Kong till the end of your training in Adelaide (CX pays for your training, also known as a forgivable loan).

Slightly off the topic, is it true that an Indian passport holder need not apply for a visa if the stay (in Hong Kong) is less than 14 days?

jackcarls0n
25th Mar 2012, 07:36
I am not sure but i heard u get paid 100 AUD per week during training.

and about the visa i guess indian passport holders need visa if they are staying more then 14 days...hk allows indian citizen for travel without a visa...or the visa is available on arrival make sure u have ecr stamp and the requirements fulfilled though.

ashokbhatt1
25th Mar 2012, 08:41
for less than 14 days no visa required directly from immigration website.

hope this helps.

nsk.air
25th Mar 2012, 18:46
I too got a mail from CX for the stage 2. I had my interview on the 20th feb. I had a word with Mr SS on that day regarding the whole interview process and asked about when would be stage 2. He said not sure of dates but should be around April end or even sometime in May.

And regarding the ECR/ECNR stamp on passport (irrelevant now), here s the link- Emigration Check Not Required(ECNR) Stamp (http://www.immihelp.com/nri/ecnr-emmigration-check-not-required-stamp.html)

Visa on arrival is granted if the stay is for less than 14 days. Here is the link-
Requirements for Indian Nationals to apply for Hong kong Visa (http://mumbai.china-consulate.org/eng/lsyw/visa/t180027.htm)

smurf84
25th Mar 2012, 19:12
Besides the tech interview, does Stage 2 still include :

1. Aptitude test
2. Math Test
3. Group Exercise
4. Flight Planning exercise

and Stage 3 on the next day which should be the medical test and the management interview?

Looks like another long wait for the next email from the flight recruitment team in Hong Kong.

smurf84
26th Mar 2012, 05:47
Going by the Fragrant Harbour forum, I assume this is how it works -

Stage 2 : Aptitude test, Quick Math test, Technical and HR interview, Group exercise, Flight Planning exercise (Boy, we're in for some fun).

Stage 3 : Medical Test, ICAO EPT, Management Interview

Stage 4 : Flight grading.

I read somewhere that a note will be slipped under your hotel room door after the Stage 2 interview. The contents of that note could be :

1. Congratulations, you have been shortlisted for Stage 3, or
2. Sorry, but you have to leave Hong Kong tonight.

One of those reality TV shows.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
26th Mar 2012, 07:05
Hii,

I just found one very bad information to swallow. I am one of the shortlisted who attended the Mumbai Interview on the 21st. I called up Mr.Sunny Singh office now and his secretary says the stage 2 will be in June or July :sad:. That is one loooong break. Can any one of you guys also try calling and confirm it?

smurf84
26th Mar 2012, 07:21
Even better. More time to prep.

Out of curiosity, are you the same Ezhil who conducts CPL ground classes for the DGCA exams? Or is this just another fake username?

Ezhil Ayyasamy
26th Mar 2012, 07:32
Lol. Yes, I am the guy. And you are the NZ guy or the SA guy? Sorry don't remember the names. And about the time to prep, its still too long for any interview. And I hate the waiting game.

smurf84
26th Mar 2012, 07:47
A bit of AUS and NZ. Anyway, it is best to wait for another week or two till they notify us in writing (email). With telephonic conversations, you never know. My patience isn't getting thinner yet.

By the way, there seems to be good numbers from India for the next stage.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
26th Mar 2012, 07:57
Oh, the instructor then. Yeah, the number looks stiff. The problem with the unknown dates/delayed interview is that, to frame a study program becomes extremely difficult. You don't know if should study in the idling mode or go full throttle. Hope some one else calls. I don't want to call for the same query again.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
26th Mar 2012, 07:58
One more thing. How the hell are we going to practice the 747-200 Sim? As there is none available here. There are a few people with the Yolk and the pedal connected but does it even come close to the real experience?:ugh:

smurf84
26th Mar 2012, 08:31
Oh, the instructor then.

No, I'm just a CPL holder with 260 hours. Did my training in Australia and New Zealand.

How the hell are we going to practice the 747-200 Sim?

Who was talking about the 747-200 Sim check for Advanced Entry CPL holders with just 250+ hours, unless you've been selected for the Transition training programme.

I'm still confused whether the Sim check would be done during flight grading or somewhere between Stage 2-3.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
26th Mar 2012, 08:41
I know. I just found out that you are not the instructor. I just spoke to him over the phone. ;) But how then did you know that I run a DGCA class? And did you attend the interview with me in Mumbai? I don't remember talking to anyone apart from the instructor from NZ and one other guy SA (I don't want to name them) apart from introducing myself. BTW are you sure about the SIM check is not for us?

smurf84
26th Mar 2012, 09:13
I took a wild guess. But I've come across your name somewhere.

I sat for the interview on the 23rd Feb in Mumbai.

Regarding the Sim check, we might need to get that confirmed from a reliable source. There is a possibility, but definitely not on the B747-200 Sim. It could be on the B200 Sim. I'm not sure at what stage would it be done.

jackcarls0n
26th Mar 2012, 16:11
Seems like everyone likes to assume things here and jst run with the thought. CX letters clearly says things would be as per the licenses held and experience. So chill and dont worry about the sim check. The flight grading happens in australia and its on piston aircraft and if a sim check comes in then its for instrument approaches, holdings etc not to fly a 747-200 perfectly with no experience on it at all..they are suppose to train you for that during ur training course if your selected.

And if they are going to grade you on 747-200 sim then i guess all of us would be screwed. By the way thats later why worry about that when you gotta think and work upon the stage 2 in hk :ok:

Denni89
27th Mar 2012, 03:04
Hi everyone,

I have my Cathay Initial Interview in Brisbane on April 10 for Advanced Entry.

They have said there is:
Multi-guess Technical questions (45 minutes)
Abstract reasoning test (45 minutes)
Personal and Technical Questions (45 minutes)

What is included in the Technical Questions and Abstract Reasoning test? Any help is very appreciated.

Thanks

Ezhil Ayyasamy
27th Mar 2012, 08:26
What is included in the Technical Questions and Abstract Reasoning test? Any help is very appreciated.

Denni89,

Bond737 is on the mark about the Multi choice written and Tech interview. I did the same. And regarding the abstract reasoning, practice Raven's Advanced Matrices until you get comfortable. As in, it is easy to solve but the idea should be to solve it in the stipulated time. That is the challenge.

Cathay tests you on the same Raven's.

Cheers.:ok:

ashokbhatt1
27th Mar 2012, 09:17
called mr sunny singh today some lady picked up when asked for information she said might be in june or july.

Thats too long of a wait dont know whats their plan 1st stage in feb and second in july like 5 months .By the time they start calling for interview more than half of the guys would be absorbed by the market.

hope they do something before that.

smurf84
27th Mar 2012, 10:05
Patience is a virtue. I don't think any one of us would drop out of it before June/July, unless, IndiGo hires one of us by then.

Denni89
28th Mar 2012, 11:11
Thanks for your help!

Denni

jackcarls0n
28th Mar 2012, 16:29
@Denni good luck for the AE Initial Interview:ok:

Do share the personal experience on how it went though.

Mr.CB
29th Mar 2012, 04:46
can i apply with 200 hrs n no multi endorsed in CX's SECOND officer program?? :confused:

smurf84
29th Mar 2012, 05:05
No harm in submitting your application. You may get lucky. It's just the waiting period that will be a testing time. There were a couple of pilots with 220 odd hours who were invited to the interview. If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't matter whether you hold a MECIR or not. But you must have a CPL to get into the Advanced Entry Programme (32 weeks), or they will put you in the Cadet Pilot Programme (61 weeks).

Good luck anyway.

ashokbhatt1
29th Mar 2012, 05:56
i had 220 hours and was invited for stage 1 and now for stage 2 even i was worried about the 250 hours thing but it hardly matters i think .About multi engine i think it matters a lot two of my friend and me applied on same day for this cadet pilot programme they dint did their multi engine type rating but we are from same flying school same educational qualification(HSC 10+2) maharashtra board ,completd are cpl same time a week difference you can say the only extra advantage i had was multi and i was invited and they were not.I think multi could be one reason for that because we had same single engine hours +/- 10 hours to be more precised.they were not called for interview.

Any one who got invited with no multi from india can you please put some more light on this.

hope this helps.
I suggest if you are going to do your multi any time soon then dont apply now but if you have no plans of doing it then apply it soon as possible there is no point waiting bcoz the thing is if you apply now and then you do multi and try to upgrade your experience it hardly possible before 12 months or so i think bcoz it states your application is already under process.

smurf84
29th Mar 2012, 12:11
ashokbhatt - There are quite a few Indian pilots with 250+ hours who haven't been called for the interview. So some of us were lucky to be invited. I don't know how the selection process works. Looks random to me.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
29th Mar 2012, 12:46
Yes, it is most definitely random.

Mr.CB
29th Mar 2012, 13:41
hello, can u help me out. m faciing some problm while filling up my flying details in CX's flying traing info. page.. its nt accepting my dual flying hrs, although perfect..kindly help if possible

smurf84
29th Mar 2012, 17:40
One of my friends in Adelaide told me the reason for the delay of AE pilots to get the interview dates for Stage 2 is CX could be clearing the backlog of all the HKID ab-initio pilots (for the CPP) on a priority basis.

It happened to him in 2011 and this is exactly what the HR team at Cathay said.

Mentat
30th Mar 2012, 05:00
I applied for the advanced cadet programabout 1.5 yrs back. Since then I hve got more hours and ratings.I tried updating my application but the site wouldnt let me.Any work around for this?

smurf84
30th Mar 2012, 05:48
A few reasons I can think of - Either your application is under process, or they must have put a complete stop to updating online applications for the time being, or your application has expired. You might want to call up HR and find out.

nsk.air
31st Mar 2012, 20:28
Unlike the CAE indigo, where you can update your profile, you CANT update your profile for cathay. Send a updated resume at [email protected] and do mention your PRN/CRN no.

Flyingmachine01
2nd Apr 2012, 13:03
Hi,

I have just been given an interview for next month in Hong Kong..
I am wondering what the process is exactly? Has is changed.

Any help would be much appreciated... I have been invite to attend a Final Interview for Second Officer Transition Training Programme in Hong Kong.

I am aware of Boeing 747-200 sim. But exams happen on the first day?:ok:

Is the Cathay interview guide still my best bet? And also the " Ace Interview book"

Please PM with details

smurf84
2nd Apr 2012, 15:44
Transition Training Programme ay? I reckon many of us selected for the Stage 2 interview are from the Advanced Entry Programme. But it goes without saying, the useful books would be 'Ace the Technical Interview', 'Preparing for your Cathay Pacific Interview', 'Handling the big jets'.

I'm not aware of the interview process or aptitude/technical tests for TT pilots at the final stage. It could be the same as it is for the AE pilots.

smurf84
2nd Apr 2012, 18:13
I don't know if any one of you have come across this lately. I have a feeling there are a couple of fake usernames (created by some current users) opened up in March 2012, ever since CX left India after Stage 1.

These guys start the message with, "Hey there, I've been watching this forum closely. I'm new here...yada yada yada".

Well, if you've been watching this forum closely, where have you been all this while you idiot!!! Whatever happened to that fake username joseph f? :)

I really don't understand what joy you people get out of it and start sending Private Messages to some of us, and asking what books to study from, whether the interviews would be held in June, more info and all that nonsense.

smurf84
2nd Apr 2012, 18:49
Haha.

About time those nitwits pull their fingers out before the bubble bursts!

jamessoong
3rd Apr 2012, 04:43
Hmm.. I hope you guys aren't thinking of this as a fake username. I'm actually new. Since I pass the 1st stage I was searching around whether are there any forums regarding this 2012 intake. Sort off reading this thread closely to see when would be the date for 2nd stage. :)

smurf84
3rd Apr 2012, 05:17
jamessoong, maybe you're not a fake user.

Regarding the interview dates, there isn't much we can talk about till you hear from Cathay's HR team (via email).

bawa - Any other CPP? No. Definitely not for us.

google88
3rd Apr 2012, 05:46
haha hello mr smurf and yes i think i am a real idiot thinking u would be kind enough to help me but i wont take that comment to seriously as i do understand there are a lot of fake ids in here trying to get out real time info.
1) my reason of not joining this forum before cathay called me for my initial interview which i had it on the 29th of feb (1:00 pm batch ) i had heard a lot about pprune and just like u i dint want to trust some fake id passing out false info to ppl. 2) i have been jobless for 4 years now and the competition is not getting any easier and well if u are smart enough u would know it better why some 1 like me would be even more careful before passing on some valuable info to fake shyt heads. well nice to know your frame of mind buddy have fun and gl with your further selection process hope to see u in Honk Kong sooner or later lol.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
3rd Apr 2012, 08:57
Pop quiz time :8

1.What does the -115 on the engine XGE90 -115B of 777-300ER mean?
2.What does 115 in Grob 115 mean?
3. How many FTA hours after cadet program will I end up with? Say I am someone with 270 hours going in to the program.
4. Will you prefer Short course or long course? And why?
5. What differences are there between Boeings and Airbuses, in terms of setting engine thrust?

I could not find answers for them. May be I did not look hard. Anyways, will appreciate your help.

smurf84
3rd Apr 2012, 09:55
1. -115 on the GE90 indicates the maximum thrust at sea-level. In this case it would be 115,500 lbs

2. As for the T-Bird, I can only think of one reason : The initial G115 model had a 115 hp Lycoming engine. G115A, G115B, G115E have different powerplants. I could be wrong.

smurf84
3rd Apr 2012, 10:13
3. How many FTA hours after cadet program will I end up with? Say I am someone with 270 hours going in to the program.

I haven't heard of this before. Neither is it of any importance I reckon.

Will you prefer Short course or long course? And why?

If this one had a definite answer, I'm sure all of us would just feed it into our heads and give it back to HR on the day of the interview. We'll put that aside for now. :)

Ezhil Ayyasamy
3rd Apr 2012, 10:14
1. -115 on the GE90 indicates the maximum thrust at sea-level. In this case it would be 115,500 lbs

Wonder how I missed that.

2. As for the T-Bird, I can only think of one reason : The initial G115 model had a 115 hp Lycoming engine. G115A, G115B, G115E have different powerplants. I could be wrong.

I guessed it to too. Would be nice to get a confirmation.

Thanks Smurf.:ok:

smurf84
3rd Apr 2012, 10:29
No problem, Chief. As long as it's for a good cause.

Ezhil Ayyasamy
5th Apr 2012, 15:11
New set of Q s.

1. Why do we use the type of engines on 747 what are they and benefits?

In that case we can question why are we using the type of engines in 777, A340 etc. If there s a valid answer do post it.

2. What does CFR stand for when you see that sign at an airport?

Is it like the one used in shipping?

'The delivery of goods to the named port of destination (discharge) at the seller's expense. Buyer is responsible for the cargo insurance and other costs and risks.'

3. Draw the RB211 and GE90 engines on the board, highlighting the differences.

Draw the jet engine(with or without by pass or with different spools) is fine. But RB211 and GE90?

4. What gauges do we have in the cockpit for these engines?

This is fairly simple. Still looking for an answer.

5. Where is the RPM measured from?

6.What differences are there between Boeings and Airbuses, in terms of setting engine thrust?

ckalli
10th Apr 2012, 05:03
looks like we will have to wait till June. :bored:

smurf84
10th Apr 2012, 05:17
Preference will always be given to HKID holders. We can only wait. God forbid, according to sources, it could even go up to a year (time from Stage 1 to Flight Grading).

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 07:29
I think this was an absolute error and isn't of any importance at the moment, but I got an email from CX today. Is there anybody out there who got the same email?

Dear Candidates,

Thank you for your previously submitted on-line application with Cathay Pacific Airways for our Second Officer programmes.

Given this application was submitted some time ago, we ask that if you are still interested in the Second Officer opportunity, to fully complete the attached Flying Experience Requirement form and the Up-date application form.

Kindly complete the attached forms and return by e-mail on or before 12 May, 2012.

Once we have received the completed documents your application will be assessed on interview suitability and competitiveness.

Thank you for your continued interest in Cathay Pacific Airways.

Yours sincerely

Flight Operations Department

Looks like CX is desperately looking for Second Officers.

nsk.air
12th Apr 2012, 07:41
Smurf84 I have got exactly the same mail. No idea what that means!

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 07:42
bond - Yes I did. I got an out-of-office automated reply. Since you haven't got this email, I reckon I'll just ignore it.

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 07:47
So I do have company :)

nsk.air - Were you told to contact Meegan? She is on leave till Apr 16. I think I'll give her a call when she gets back.

nsk.air
12th Apr 2012, 08:05
Smurf84- We could also call Sunny Singh?

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 08:15
Sunny Singh is certainly our go-to man. :)

aviator_0088
12th Apr 2012, 09:25
I have received a similar intimation from CX, although I wasn't called for the interviews that were held earlier in Feb12. So it seems that there must be a second drive/batch to hire more SO's.

ckalli
12th Apr 2012, 09:44
@ smurf

hey is this for a fresh application? or are they actually updating information.

im wondering if i should just reply anyway!

(p.s. im waiting for stage 2)

JAY SHAH
12th Apr 2012, 10:03
hi,
I got the same email from cathay today .. I was not called for the interviews before in Feb.

JAY SHAH
12th Apr 2012, 10:18
yes.. i havent given any interview with cathay before.

JAY SHAH
12th Apr 2012, 10:30
More than 250..

smartflyier
12th Apr 2012, 10:55
hi guys
I got the same mail with three attached forms. I have to fill it and reply back them by 12th may. I am wondering what location should I choose for the interview as they came to India few months back. Will they come back to india again soon?

Kindly suggest.. i was waiting for cx interview since long and i was not aclled for feb also.

I applied 2 years back

can anyone PM the number of SS??
tahnks

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 11:47
I assume Cathay is inviting more applicants for the AE-SO programme. The HR dept. may have accidentally sent emails to the candidates who sat for/passed the Stage 1 interview in Mumbai. I'll get that confirmed tomorrow.

I really don't think there is an issue with the 250 hours requirement at the moment. Pilots from Cathay's traditional recruiting grounds may be declining the offer which could be the reason they're coming back to India again. This is just an assumption and it will be good news for the pilot community in India.

bond - We did the Stage 1 interview. Cathay sent us the email 3 weeks ago clearly mentioning that we have been shortlisted for the Stage 2 interview in Hong Kong. Why do you think this could be the end of the line?

thepilot77
12th Apr 2012, 12:31
Hi All,

I got the same email too, I applied in June 2010 and this is the first time i get an email from Cathay in any sort.

Guys the only thing comes to my mind that Cathay is in urgent need for SO and they decided to contact or give a chance for every successful applicants with 250 hrs or more.

At the end of the day i think its a good news and lets hope that we wont have to go under along wait before we get a call for 1st stage.

thanks and goodluck all

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 12:32
bond - One of us will get this issue sorted out a.s.a.p. Need to confirm it with the right people.

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 12:40
Without a doubt, this is good news for all the pilots who got the email. CX recruited 250 odd SOs in 2011. They plan to recruit 300 in 2012, and another 300 in 2013.

Spitfire88
12th Apr 2012, 13:35
I got the same email, and the same reply for meegan. Its deff an error. dont worry too much abt it guys...

smartflyier
12th Apr 2012, 16:47
for all those guys who got the mail first time, did u filled and sent back the attached form if yes what preferred location you are opting? Is it ok to prefer India? do u guys think they will come to India near soon?

smurf84
12th Apr 2012, 16:59
If you think you can spend anywhere between 40,000 and 60,000 INR (on air tickets, food and accommodation for 3 days), you can select either Singapore or Hong Kong as the preferred location. You would get the interview dates at the earliest. The next option is India. I reckon it isn't a big deal for them to come here and conduct the initial interview.

As per the email, the initial interviews will be arranged in the major cities in which the flights of Cathay Pacific operate, subject to the sufficiency of eligible candidates. Selecting Mumbai or Delhi would be the best option.

nsk.air
12th Apr 2012, 17:43
Smurf84- Please find out what does the mail mean to the candidates who have already been shortlisted for stage 2. Its like a 'no brainer' to me!

Thanks!

Stallone
13th Apr 2012, 00:59
Note: CX comes to Singapore around March/April period every year. Only once per year.

Capt Aviator
13th Apr 2012, 04:11
I also received an email yesterday asking me to update my info by 12 May if I'm still interested in CX SO. I have > 250 hrs. I initially applied approx 1 year ago.

smartflyier
13th Apr 2012, 05:01
Guys, I think as many of our mates from India had got the mail (specially after so many months of application) that means they are planning to conduct the interview in India soon(after may). Cause in one mail from cathay they said me that they will contact me if the recruitment will happen in my geographical area. And now they did, that means they are coming to India.

BTW guys do I have to mention the name of the city also where I prefer for interview or just INDIA will be fine?

smurf84
13th Apr 2012, 05:04
spitfire - You're right. Nothing to worry about.

I got hold of HR over the phone earlier today. The lady told me to ignore this email as we've already been shortlisted for the Stage 2 interview.

P.S. - She had no clue regarding the dates for the next interview.

smurf84
13th Apr 2012, 05:10
Having applied way back in March 2010, I don't remember the options. But if there is an option to select a city, I suggest you opt for Mumbai.

I think I selected Delhi, and they ended up inviting me to Mumbai (because of the large number of applicants from that city).

smartflyier
13th Apr 2012, 07:10
i had called them up this morning and asked where will be the next interview? he said he don't have any info regarding that. But he said its good to choose first option as your country

smurf84
13th Apr 2012, 07:23
bond - Yeah, nothing at all. She said it was a system error. That's about it.

smartflyier - So now you know what to do. Just hang in there and you'll certainly get that precious invitation in the near future. Good luck.

smartflyier
13th Apr 2012, 07:57
@smurf84
thanks buddy

Urbn31
13th Apr 2012, 09:54
Hi guys, does anyone know what's going to be on the second interview for the AE program?

I gathered some information but I'm not sure if it's up to date. Here's what I know, there will be:

1. Math test
2. Aptitude test
3. ICAO English
4. Flight planning
5. Group exercise
6. Technical interview with two pilots

Then the second day there is:

1. Medical exam
2. management interview

My problem is some of the info is quite outdated on forums and are from 2009 or 2010. Ive heard that the Math test is different now along with several other things. Can anyone confirm that this is what we can expect going to the second round? Also, how are you guys studying for the math test, technical interview, flight plan and group exercise?

The other conflicting part is it seems like for the aptitude text they use to have to write a test and prove your hand eye coordination skills in a series of computer games. Is that still the case? I've read on other forums that there's only 5 games that you have to play now, suggesting that there are no written portion. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks guys. Hope we all make the hurdle!

ashokbhatt1
13th Apr 2012, 10:57
i was busy with my class 1 medical renewals and it seems many things have changed here people have got system error mails i read.

i hope what smurf84 said is true and this is just system error because my case is same as bond737 even i have less than 250 hours and i dint got any mail from cathay.they have hit my panic button.

smurf84 said in one of the previous post that if you have less than 250 they will give to some months time to reach the requirement level.

I will be calling them on monday till the mean time anyone with less than 250 hours who got this so called system error mail please inform.

vrg380
13th Apr 2012, 11:43
Is there any 1 who have sent the filled up form to them..
In the 6 page form they need signature on last page. So, if we take a print out nd scan it , it will be 2 files.
Does any 1 know is that valid or any other option is there??
Also, what about the cathay pacific reference.??

Any reply will be a great help...!!!!

smurf84
13th Apr 2012, 12:03
Urbn31 - The list of tests during the Stage 2 interview looks pretty much similar to what some of us discussed earlier in this thread. We're aware of the changes in the Quick Math Test, but nothing else besides that. I don't know anyone who has done their Stage 2 interview in 2012 or even late 2011.

Some of them don't have much to say with regard to the Math test. It seems to be quick subtraction, multiplication, graphs etc.

Technical Interview - Get back to your books (CPL/ATPL). Ace the Technical Interview would be a good option.

There isn't much you can prepare for a group exercise, unless you can form a group of your own and practice that particular exercise before you go to the interview. As for flight planning, it is best to brush up on the fuel/distance/time calculations. This is my personal opinion.

I don't think the hand-eye coordination test exists for AE pilots.

smartflyier
13th Apr 2012, 12:54
hi guys
Is there anyone who had got this first mail and not from India?

vrg380
13th Apr 2012, 16:15
Is there any 1 who have sent the filled up form to them..
In the 6 page form they need signature on last page. So, if we take a print out nd scan it , it will be 2 files.
Also, what about the cathay pacific reference.??

Also ny have ny idea that IR should be current or lapsed IR is fine..!!

Any reply will be a great help...!!!!

smurf84
13th Apr 2012, 16:31
Are you sure any reply would be of great help? :)

vrg380
14th Apr 2012, 04:24
any reply clearing the about doubt will be a help..!! not ur blank post..!!

ashokbhatt1
14th Apr 2012, 05:04
bond737 were you able to get in touch with anyone who got this mail and had less than 250 hours.

I hope this is not the end of journey for us.

will be calling sunny s on monday

smurf84
14th Apr 2012, 05:27
Haha. vrg380 - Take it easy cowboy.

1. Regarding your IR, in that particular form, Cathay has simply asked you :

Multi-Engine Instrument Rating - Valid until.

They haven't written 'Do Not Apply Unless You Have A Valid MECIR'.

2. What about Cathay Pacific reference?

Again, a very simple question. Do you know anyone working for Cathay Pacific? If yes, write his/her name and your relationship with that person. If the answer is No, I think you know what to do.

3. In the 6 page form they need signature on last page. So, if we take a print out nd scan it , it will be 2 files.

I'm sure you can spend 20 bucks and call HR on 00852 27478249 to find that out.

Good luck.

smurf84
14th Apr 2012, 05:30
ashokbhatt - Don't worry, it has nothing to do with the 250 hours requirement. That email was just an error.

flypaul
14th Apr 2012, 05:55
Hi all,

Why do u think that the above mentioned E-mail was just an error? They have 3 different entry programmes.

I got this mail too, i have thousands of hours but i dont have MECIR.

Paul

smurf84
14th Apr 2012, 06:36
Some of us have passed the Stage 1 interview and have been shortlisted for the Stage 2 interview.

System error because they accidentally sent emails to some pilots who already passed the Stage 1 interview. Hence, it doesn't concern us anymore. But for those who haven't been given a chance to sit for the interview earlier, this is it.

P.S. - I don't think not having a MECIR would be an issue.

flypaul
14th Apr 2012, 06:50
Im sorry to hear that, hope its really system error.

if u have passed stage 1 then you dont have to worry!

I dont have any ME too, so maybe its does'nt matter????

ashokbhatt1
14th Apr 2012, 06:52
thanks smurf84 hope this is an error.

smurf84
14th Apr 2012, 07:04
Yes it is.

To all those who passed the Stage 1 interview : There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Ignore that email. This comes straight from Cathay's HR.

Message to the other chaps who haven't appeared for the interview yet : Those emails are strictly for you. Complete the application form and send it back to them.

Paul, Cathay requires details of endorsements or ratings you possess at the moment. It isn't mandatory you hold one. Of course it will be an advantage. All the best.

smurf84
14th Apr 2012, 07:33
Ha. I thought the wait for the Stage 1 results was worse, but this one tops the list now.

flypaul
14th Apr 2012, 07:36
Thanks for advice! Maybe i will complete a ME training.

Wish the best for all candidates!

how long you had to wait for stage 1 results?

PPRuNeUser0163
14th Apr 2012, 08:08
have you guys not been told stage 2 dates yet?

when did they advise they would give those?

if successful through to flight grading any idea how much further beyond stage 2 it would be?

best of luck guys, the wait should be worth it!

ashokbhatt1
14th Apr 2012, 08:23
though its saturday still got hold of mr sunny singh an hour back.

When asked about so called mail he said he was not knowing about any such mail or any future interview to be held in india for stage 1.

further probing on dates for stage 2 he said may or early june earlier the lady who used to pick up the phone used to say june or july but he is saying late may or early june and said 30 days prior you will be informed about the same.

so if its late may they should inform us within next two weeks or so .So seems not so long wait as when you get the dates time passes like a lightning speed.

hope this helps.

flypaul
14th Apr 2012, 08:28
how long you had to wait for stage 1 results?

ashokbhatt1
14th Apr 2012, 08:46
gave my stage 1 on 27th Feb got the mail that i passed on 20th March.In three weeks time.No details on stage 2 dates as of now .

flypaul
14th Apr 2012, 09:15
Thanks for your answer.

I think that 3 week was excited cause of wait....

Wish you all the best for the future interviews

smurf84
14th Apr 2012, 09:58
further probing on dates for stage 2 he said may or early june earlier the lady who used to pick up the phone used to say june or july but he is saying late may or early june and said 30 days prior you will be informed about the same.

He really said that? The lady I spoke to had no clue about the dates. I reckon SS would know it all. I hope he isn't mucking around.

VeroFlyer
15th Apr 2012, 12:37
I applied to Cathay Pacific 4 years ago for Second Officer. Then two weeks ago I get 2 emails and a phone call practically begging me to come for an interview and sim check in Hong Kong in 3 weeks time. Talk about last minute, i'm a little bit curious as to what is going on!!
I just moved onto the Embrarer 190 in my current company and am really enjoying it! Guess I'll go along and see what's what though! Strange!

flypaul
15th Apr 2012, 17:42
.....strange...

and practically u have'nt had any contact with them for 4 years????

ashokbhatt1
17th Apr 2012, 07:51
tho i know its all about patience still this wait is a killer guys.

how are you guys feeling??

flypaul
17th Apr 2012, 08:21
Hi Guys!

I can imagine your feelings....

But these are good feelings, these give hope.

Did they call you before the invitation for stage 1 interview?

Have a nice day

ashokbhatt1
17th Apr 2012, 08:32
was informed by mail no telephonic conversation with them yet.

flypaul
17th Apr 2012, 10:44
but u wre on stage 1 intrview? am i right?

I will fullfill the documents what they sent us and will send back to them....

im really curious what will happen.

smartflyier
19th Apr 2012, 08:40
CADET PILOT PROGRAMME
Thank you for taking the time to complete and submit an application form for the Cadet Pilot Programme.
We have carefully reviewed your application and appreciate your enthusiasm for the Programme. However, through our short-listing procedure, we have found other candidates who more closely match our requirements. We are therefore unable to consider your application further.
Thank you for your interest in Cathay Pacific Airways. We wish you the very best in your future career.
Yours sincerely
Emily Chan
Flight Crew Recruitment Specialist (Cadet Pilot)

Did anyone got this mail??:sad:
I dont know why they not considered my application..

Ghastal
19th Apr 2012, 08:58
Was it for the AE? If yes, when did you apply?

ashokbhatt1
19th Apr 2012, 09:06
smartflyer

if you dont mind can you please mention how many hours do you have and when you applied for this programme??

smurf84
19th Apr 2012, 09:15
Tough luck, smartflyier.

Do you have 250+ hours and an ICAO CPL?

If yes, did you ask Ms. Emily Chan on what grounds was your application rejected?

smartflyier
19th Apr 2012, 10:16
yes i have more than 250 hrs
rather I have 320 hrs.. with all licenses valid..
did anyone got this mail?
i applied long back and i got a mail from them on 13th april and replied back on 15th april with filled form.
yes i mailed her back abt that. lets see if they can reply

ashokbhatt1
19th Apr 2012, 10:24
now thats confusing.

Smartflyer ther were interviews in mumbai in the month of feb did they call you for any such interview or this is just on the basis of application filled online.Many of them who attented mumbai interview including me had less then 250 hours and still were called for initial stage and now for second and third stage.This is really confusing on what basis they are selecting candidates.

When did u apply smartflyer?/?

I am confused I hope they give us dates for 2 and 3 stage soon this will resolve all the confusions.

tough luck, smartflyer

ashokbhatt1
19th Apr 2012, 10:29
I have mailed them twice in last 10 days for information on dates for stage 2 but no replies.Telephonic conversation with them stated it would be in may end or early june.

Anyone else who have mailed them for details and got reply please put some light??

smartflyier
19th Apr 2012, 10:57
no i was not called for feb interview
this is the first time I got the mail from them with all those forms.. I applied in 2010.
Still wondering why I am not considered after getting the first mail also:confused:

smartflyier
20th Apr 2012, 09:00
hi guys
did anyone got a mail from them? does that mean its only me who got a negative mail? I wish if it was a system error also, :ugh:

3 Green
20th Apr 2012, 13:32
SmartFlyier

I applied in mid 2011.... on 12 April 2012 got an email saying,

"Given this application was submitted some time ago, we ask that if you are still interested in the Second Officer opportunity, to fully complete the attached Flying Experience Requirement form and the Up-date application form.
Kindly complete the attached forms and return by e-mail on or before 12 May, 2012.
Once we have received the completed documents your application will be assessed on interview suitability and competitiveness."

I replied them with the completed forms on 14th April... No reply after that... Nothing!! :confused:

flywannabe
21st Apr 2012, 01:38
Hi,

Does anyone know when the Initial interviews will be held in the UK this year ?

cheers

ashokbhatt1
21st Apr 2012, 12:00
guys if its may end and i hope it is then they should infrom us probably by next week end otherwise june quite a long wait.

they are actually checking our patience.

smurf84
22nd Apr 2012, 06:18
I came across this piece of news on the Fragrant Harbour forum. Too early to comment, I reckon the delay may have something to do with this -

HONG KONG – Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd. (0293.HK) warned that the airline may have to park aircraft and reduce flights if weakening demand and high fuel costs persist, underscoring the troubles faced by the global airline industry.
The Hong Kong-based carrier, which already warned of a very challenging 2012, said its business has worsened over the last month with passenger yields--a key measure of passenger profitability--continuing to fall in economy-class products, while it also sees signs of weakness in its first- and business-class cabins, which have traditionally been its most profitable business segment.
The airline said that revenue growth in recent weeks has been falling "well short of target" and failing to keep pace with capacity growth. It noted the recent development isn't a sustainable situation.
"Fuel prices remain at crippling highs and our cargo business still shows no sign of any sustained pick-up," Cathay Pacific Chief Executive John Slosar said in a newsletter for the airline's employees, published Friday. "The recent turmoil in the euro zone reinforces the fact that the world is still balancing on a knife edge," Slosar said.
While Slosar noted that conditions haven't reached the challenges seen during the global financial crisis in 2008-2009, the airline will need to take action to contain costs if the situation persists, noting that it will have to consider more ways to further pare back spending.
Last month, the Hong Kong-based airline reported a 61% decline in net profit for 2011 due to rising fuel costs as well as softer demand for its freight services, and expects continued weakness for its cargo operations in 2012. For last year, Cathay Pacific's fuel costs, which accounted for over 40% of its total operating costs, rose 38% to HK$38.9 billion from HK$28.28 billion in 2010.
At the height of global financial crisis, Cathay Pacific trimmed its flights, initiated no-pay leave for some of its staff, and delayed capital spending to cope with a reduction in revenues.
In March 2011, Cathay Pacific announced cuts on flights it operates to three cities in Japan -- Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya -- over the first two weeks of April due to the weakness in demand for flights to the country. In December, the airline also said it would scale back plans to expand cargo flying this year and defer the arrival of two new Boeing Co. aircraft in the sign that the slowdown in air freight is deeper and more pronounced than many expected.

Cathay Pacific Warns It May Have To Park Planes, Cut Flights | Fox Business (http://www.foxbusiness.com/news/2012/04/21/cathay-pacific-warns-it-may-have-to-park-planes-cut-flights/)

smurf84
22nd Apr 2012, 06:31
If recruitment is to be continued, this could lead to further degradation of the contract. But we'll leave that debate for another day.

3 Green
22nd Apr 2012, 06:47
smurf

from what I've heard, it usually takes about 6-8 months to get done with stage 1 to stage 4.. In fact during some discussion on FB someone posted it took him a Year to finish the 4 stages..

Newys anyone else got a reply after submitting the forms??? :confused:

ashokbhatt1
22nd Apr 2012, 08:27
hope this dosent makes our wait much longer.hope we are called soon.,

smurf84 thanks for keeping us updated.

ckthepilot
22nd Apr 2012, 22:53
I am in the same boat as the other "first-timers" for the CX AE email from the HR Dept. I completed the requested forms and sent them back to the HR Dept a day later. Have not heard of anything else since then.

No invitation and no rejection email yet...

So ehh, do we just wait? :)

smurf84
23rd Apr 2012, 03:07
Yes, play the waiting game for a few months. Or you can select Hong Kong as the preferred location for the Stage 1 interview if you want to get there quick.

I applied in March 2010 (selected India as the preferred location). There wasn't a heartbeat. Submitted the application again in May/June 2011. Thankfully, got invited to Stage 1 in February 2012.

ckthepilot
23rd Apr 2012, 03:10
I put in any location on my application. Hopefully, I'll hear something soon when they open up for interview dates.

smurf84
23rd Apr 2012, 03:15
When I submitted the application for the second time, this is the email I got from the recruitment team.

Dear Mr. XXXX,

Thank you for your interest in the Second Officer Programme.

The initial interviews will be arranged in the major cities in which the flights of Cathay Pacific operate, subject to the sufficiency of eligible candidates in the same geographic areas.

Please understand that due to the high volume of applications currently on our database who have yet to be screened, we are unable to advise applicants of any schedule of invitations for the interviews.

Best regards,
Flight Crew Recruitment
Cathay Pacific Airways

It all comes down to the number of candidates in your country. The more, the better, the quicker. Good luck.

ckthepilot
23rd Apr 2012, 03:19
Anyone from the US apply for CX's SO AE program?

flypaul
23rd Apr 2012, 03:49
Hi,

@smurf,

How long have u wait for their e-mail after u sent back the second application forms?

Thx

smurf84
23rd Apr 2012, 05:20
6-7 months.

flypaul
23rd Apr 2012, 05:31
Did u submit online in the second time or have they sent u the forms by e-mail ask u to fullfill and send back to them?

smurf84
23rd Apr 2012, 06:34
I submitted it online.

vrg380
24th Apr 2012, 05:16
I had a talk wid them on phone.
They said that they are still screening the applications. If we get selected then they will send us an email wid all details by minimum of 2 weeks time from now.
And den directly for the interview.
Keep your fingers crossed and hope to get selected.
ENJOY WAITING..!!!

flypaul
24th Apr 2012, 05:48
Thanks for keep informed us!!!

igodream
24th Apr 2012, 12:23
You talking about what stage??

flypaul
24th Apr 2012, 13:59
He talks about stage 1.

vinit
24th Apr 2012, 15:57
hi guys, i had applied in feb 2012..no replies yet..

smartflyier
24th Apr 2012, 17:05
hi guys
sorry to ask the same question again, did anyone got a rejection mail from them even after meeting all the requirements?

much worried about it and bad feeling also...:ugh:

smurf84
24th Apr 2012, 17:36
Vinit - Didn't you get an email from Cathay nearly 10 days ago? Some of them got emails with application forms attached to it. They were told to fill it up and send it back to the recruitment team. I suggest you talk to one of the HR folks in Hong Kong. If you're lucky, you may get that email too.

The first stage of interviews were conducted in Mumbai 2 months ago. There were 77 pilots who appeared for the interview. If they have good numbers from India again, I'm sure CX will go on a hiring spree.

Be patient if this is what you really want. Good luck.

smurf84
24th Apr 2012, 17:39
smartflyier - I feel for you, man. Despite meeting all the requirements, as you claim to have, I still wonder why your application was rejected. I think you should speak to Ms.Emily Chan about your case.

smartflyier
25th Apr 2012, 03:49
Thank dude
but the number of emily chan was not given in the mail and i had called the HR dept. they said they will review it again. I said I am meeting all the requirements and they said they are not only looking for flying hours rather they are going thorough overall application. I said the information asked in the form are only related to flying and education which I am meeting so they said they will review it again
lets see... hope is still there:sad:

smurf84
25th Apr 2012, 05:12
I'm assuming it came down to the school grades factor. I think our school exams are far superior to the exams conducted overseas. I scored 80+ in the CBSE Class 10 and Class 12 examinations. Yet, during the interview the HR lady asked me if this was good enough for me to get through to the next stage. I could only tell her that I gave my best. She didn't seem convinced. But I got lucky.

Ghastal
25th Apr 2012, 06:34
How long are we supposed to wait?! I submitted my application earlier this year but haven't heard from them ever since; I had even selected HK as my preferred interview location, albeit I don't live there, as I thought that would provide an impetus to my application. I called, and mailed, them a couple of times to inquire about my application status but to no avail.

brit air
25th Apr 2012, 11:01
i am also in the same boat i had applied to cathay back in 2009 still no reply even i mentioned as hong kong as my preferred location that may be the reason they didnt send us any email, tried emailing them and calling them but still no reply :(

flypaul
25th Apr 2012, 12:04
It could not be a problem that you choosed HKG to preferred place.

smartflyier
25th Apr 2012, 12:15
guys do our IR need to be valid to get a call?? did anyone from last attempt got a call even IR was not valid?

flypaul
25th Apr 2012, 12:30
Must have CPL and 250+ hours. And your flying hours have to meet with their minimum requirements for AE SO programme. When you submitted the documents the requirements were in the firs column. IR requirement: 10 hours under training.

smartflyier
25th Apr 2012, 14:11
yes bro i do meet all the requirements but my Multi engine IR is not valid.. is that the reason for not considering my application?:confused:

flypaul
25th Apr 2012, 14:39
I dont think so.

Have u completed a flight as PIC on a route of 300nm?

Do u have 2 night cross country flights as PIC at a min distance of 65 nm?

But we dont know what is their selection process. maybe there can be any other why they answered to u like that.

maybe they screening what u have written to the why do u want to work for cathay row....

But if u check what they wrote u then you will see that they wrote u that "there are better applicants" So your application is allright, just maybe they received some better application.

we dont know....

But if they will review your application maybe they will change their minds.

vinit
25th Apr 2012, 15:57
Thanks smurf84. Is this the correct number to call +852 2747 2200 ?
I read other posts where people are talking about IR, night flying etc.
This cadet program is for beginners who have little or no flying experience as well right or am i getting it wrong?

smurf84
25th Apr 2012, 17:12
Yeah, I reckon that is the telephone number.

Before you get this completely wrong, you are eligible to apply only for the Advanced Entry programme which is for CPL holders (international and local) with 250+ hours.

The Cadet Pilot Programme (with zero or less than 250 hours flying experience) is strictly for HKID holders.

IR needn't be valid. Once again, according to the folks at HR, any deficiency in the flying hours (Night, PIC) should be met within 4 months from passing flight grading. They could change those rules as per their convenience. You never know.

flypaul
26th Apr 2012, 06:04
Guys,

After you submitted the application, did you print all page and signed or just simply submitted the word documents without your sign what they sent?

Thx

3 Green
26th Apr 2012, 06:22
Signed and Scanned...

hinitin123
26th Apr 2012, 10:40
Hi guys have a small query regarding the form ( page no. 3) where it says civilian and military experience.
do we have to fill in any detail for the single piston engine and twin piston engine ( page no. 3) if yes, then what do we do for dual time received which i think cannot be filled as F/O's time and correct me if i am wrong the details are for people already having flying experience for some company/ chatters/ airlines.
so freshers have to leave the page blank apart from the licence details

vrg380
26th Apr 2012, 16:31
Received mail from CX saying
"RECEIVED WITH THANKS."

they are sending this mail after almost 1 week of submission of docs.
Does any 1 else received such mail??

JAY SHAH
26th Apr 2012, 17:52
i sent my the docs within 2 days on receiving the mail. I havent received any reply yet..

@vrg380- could you copy and paste the mail here you got from them for reference if you dont mind.

ckthepilot
26th Apr 2012, 21:57
Received mail from CX saying
"RECEIVED WITH THANKS."

they are sending this mail after almost 1 week of submission of docs.
Does any 1 else received such mail??

Got the same thing. Just more waiting.

3 Green
27th Apr 2012, 07:23
I sent the forms back almost two weeks ago, No reply Yet.

hinitin123
27th Apr 2012, 07:54
looks like nobody wants to help here.

smartflyier
27th Apr 2012, 09:00
hey guys I got the same mail
"Received with thanks."
hope they will consider my application now..:)

flypaul
27th Apr 2012, 09:11
@Smartflyer

When u got the mail?

cobracommander
27th Apr 2012, 11:24
Hello fellow candidates from the 1st round-feb'12;

All those who cleared the 1st round in mumbai/ind ...have you guys received any further mailmaterial /date about the second round, apart from the 'congratulations' mail after clearing the 1st round which also did mention that. the 2nd round date would be intimated in 'future'

So , any headsup yey,anyone??