PDA

View Full Version : Change of call sign enroute

SU-GCM
6th Feb 2012, 01:43
Hello

I am an aircraft dispatcher at the middle east ..
Our airline had one of it's aircraft leased at Pakistan and dueto a required check C the last flight to operated commercially was to end at OMSJ/SHJ , Sharjah , U.A.E. before it operated the ferry flight back to our home base for the required check

The guys at the SHJ said that you can't use 2 different callsigns one when arriving and one on departure .. for example if you arrived as XXX123 you should depart as XXX124 but you can't leave as YYY900 for example

As this wasn't noticed by our flight support agency that got the permits and it was only discovered last minute while filling the Flight plan .. the flight was going to be cancelled since it should depart as YYY While the permits enroute for Bahrain and Jeddah FIRs were using another callsign

Here comes the question and sorry for the long introduction:

To get away with the flight without any further delays I have decided to file 2 FPs

one at OMSJ with XXX123 and another one sent by AFTN only to Bahrain and Jeddah FIRs and the destination FIR/Airport with the callsign we have the permits with which was YYY123

I have briefed the captain about the situation and told him that once he gets into Bahrain FIR he should start calling with his new callsign or requesting a new IFR Clearance using the new callsign

I've spoke to a gentleman at Emirates control and the shift supervisor at Bahrain ACC and they both said it's ok with them as long as he has a valid permit and there is a FP filled it should be fine

Can I have your thoughts about this please ?!

Is there any document that highlights change of callsign enroute and if it's allowed or not ?

any thoughts and/or comments would be highly appreciated

N.B. : Thanks for the Shift supervisor yesterday at Bahrain and Emirates control if they got to read that ...

Blockla
6th Feb 2012, 06:22
Why not just use the aircrafts registration as the callsign?

Plazbot
6th Feb 2012, 06:54
They already have the permits under that callsign Block which is the problem. Reading through any flight plns through the region, they have their approval numbers for each country listed which are cross checked. For example, there was/is a cargo mob running between Afghanistan and UAE. They were 'banned' when flying under a certain flight number but the same aircraft (south african regos), same pilots with just a different callsign (numbers remained the same) and they were fine. Same with certain military callsigns. Told they can't come in calling themselves XXXXX95 but if they change to YYYYYY95, come on in as that is what the approval for. On a semi related note, I had a half dozen Belgian fighters rock up and they were told that they only had approval for 5 so rack off. Guy doing the comms told me quite bluntly that they were putting six on the ground at either the military base or the international airport right next door in the next five minutes... approval for the six appeared a few seconds later.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Feb 2012, 09:01
Nonsense.. and only understood by those (like me) who have worked in such places.

SU-GCM
6th Feb 2012, 09:15
@HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Could you explain more what you meant ? Thanks

Catwalk Dweller
7th Feb 2012, 02:07
HD, as one who has also worked in that part of the world (and quite a bit more recently than you, I'd wager), it's not nonsense at all.

HeathrowDictator
7th Feb 2012, 04:10
It happens semi-regularly where I am also, in that an aircraft inbound will have one callsign to the FIR boundary and then have to adopt a new callsign (of course without being directly told by us!) to satisfy the PPR number filed with the military here!

Crazy, but necessary!

-HD-