PDA

View Full Version : (Not so) Regular flying

tismee
4th Feb 2012, 23:04
Hi to all,
Im not getting as many flying hours fitted in to a year as i had hoped to do .
When i got my license i was full of confidence that id be flying every other weekend , I thought i would get heaps of flying time per year , but in the past 2 years since passing PPL ive only managed to get 11 hours flying time logged.
This is mainly due to cost .
I know that with time we can get rusty with the skills we need as pilots (or anything else in life that we dont practice enough of) .
I believe i am a safe and capable pilot , I dont fly in conditions that are marginal for my experience either.
I want to stay current and safe within my budget .
The thing is that i do get a bit nervous before i go flying , but when i get up there the nerves dissapate and i remember what i did my PPL for!
Any tips on how best to stay current and get the most from my flying with the limited amount of hours that i do fly ? look forward to your responses.
I hope that this is the year for lots of hours!!

Genghis the Engineer
5th Feb 2012, 00:23
If you have time but not money, you really need to look hard at how you construct your flying

- Is there something cheaper to rent?

- Is there an option to buy a cheap share?

- Are there options to share flying, so even if you log as much per £1, in practice by sharing the airmanship tasks, you get twice as much benefit in terms of your real currency?

- Should you bite the bullet andswitch to microlights?

As you obviously recognise, 11 hours in 2 years just isn't a sensible level of currency. The question is how to address that. Many of us have worked out over the years that renting standard club spamcans isn't it.

G

The Heff
5th Feb 2012, 09:29
To be honest, I my flying profile was the same. During PPL training, I racked up the hours...but on getting my PPL I just didn't fly as much, and it wasn't due to cost.

I also think, that using cost as an excuse is just that...its an excuse. Flying should become cheaper after completing your PPL because you can solo-hire the aircraft as opposed to having to hire the instructor as well. So what's the real reason that you've suddenly lost interest in flying.

For me, it was because there wasn't real excitement in it anymore. As a student, all the planning decisions are made for you. There's a course structure that you follow, and the instructor will tell you where to fly to, &c. As soon as you've got that PPL you've lost that structure and guidance.

The solution is to set goals and challenges for yourself, and to prepare a structured development route to get there. You might want to start to experiment with touring, and flying to an airfield that you've never been to. It might be a quiet and boring aerodrome, or it could have an exciting and vibrant atmosphere with lots of interesting things to look at. Until you've been there, you'll never know, right?

The other option is to fly more exciting aircraft. Have you thought about a tailwheel conversion course, or a seaplane rating? You might not continue to fly these types of aircraft but it'll be a fun experience. I wouldn't recommend buying your own aircraft or even entering into a group/share until you've explored a bit and decided what sort of flying you want to do.

muten
5th Feb 2012, 10:01
Well, as for the real thing, the previous comments are good, but if the money is not enough to go up there, I always recommend Microsoft Flight Simulator... which of course, as a "flight simulator" sucks, but you would be able to practice all the procedures. It's a bit boring, but I'm in a similar situation and it helps a lot to keep fresh the scan flow, the checklist, where to look at and what are you supposed to look next. Once a week I sit for 30min in the pc, start with the c172 "cold and dark" in the parking in my local AD, and practice the whole thing as real, even the comms with atc, I do a circuit or two, land, shutdown everything and wait to get money enough to rent the real a/c. For me, it works.

thing
5th Feb 2012, 10:25
Or even just go to the club and sit in a real one, go through all the checks etc and emergency procedures. The time to learn emergency procedures is on the ground preferably....

I find now that the flying is only half of it, the planning and execution of the plan is just as enjoyable to me. When I first started, a whole ten months ago, I couldn't wait to just get in the air, now although it's still as enjoyable flying, I find I get as much out of all the other stuff that goes with it. I've even started looking under the cowling and figuring out what all the shiny tubes and stuff are for. Sad really. Bit like a glamorous stamp collector. I collect stamps as well. My standing is going down all the time...:(

AdamFrisch
5th Feb 2012, 10:32
Kind of echo The Heff's sentiments: I didn't fly for 16 years and as much as I'd like to think it was all due to lack of money, it wasn't entirely. Some of it was also that I couldn't find a use for it and it didn't challenge me or excite me as much anymore. Now having gotten back into it again for a few years, I can tell you I'm more obsessed with it than ever. Surely my economical situation has improved, but it's also due to the fact that I started using airplanes to go places. And touring for work or recreation, seeing new places, meeting new challenges keeps me on my toes and interested constantly.

I've also started my instrument training in my own aircraft and this is very exciting. I would recommend two things if you're in a rut: buy an aircraft and go places outside of your comfort zone. Or get a new license or rating, even if it's just a seaplane rating.

tismee
6th Feb 2012, 05:59
Thanks for the replies.Plenty of things to consider from all your ideas and opinions.
Genghis , I have considered microlights, but to be honest i havent researched into it too much. Might sound like a silly question but does PPL license cover flying micros? Id guess so? Share flying sounds good. Many things to learn from observing others flying.
The Heff , i agree with you on the lack of structure when the training has stopped. I have thought about tail wheel conversion . There is a super decathlon based close by where im at (adelaide) . Id like to do a tailwheel conversion with some aerobatics mixed into the lessons,cost dependant of course.
Muten , i have never used microsoft sim , im sure it works to stay fresh with the checks and stuff. i might try it out. hard to beat the real thing though!
Thing , i like the planning stuff aswell . i sit with the charts and draw lines to all the random places i want to visit . I am planning an overnight trip at the minute .
Adam , glad to hear your back into it , the budget doesnt stretch to buying a plane as yet but i live in hope .
Many thanks for the input lads ,
tis.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Feb 2012, 07:14
Genghis , I have considered microlights, but to be honest i havent researched into it too much. Might sound like a silly question but does PPL license cover flying micros?

Yes, if you have a JAR PPL it's just differences training.

G

P-MONKE
6th Feb 2012, 17:33
Have you ever flown in a glider?
That never gets dull :eek:

ProfChrisReed
6th Feb 2012, 20:48
There's a long queue of pilots waiting to fly tugs at most UK gliding clubs, because the flying is fun (so the tuggies tell me) and the club pays the costs. Normally, experience as a glider pilot is demanded. I'd guess this is true in Australia as well.

Checking out the local gliding club would be worth while, as Australia has some amazing flying conditions. A 500km flight is routine - only 750k and upwards is much to celebrate!