PDA

View Full Version : A massive, MASSIVE favour!!

Flock1
2nd Feb 2012, 13:41
Hello!

This is an enormous favour I'm asking here and it involves photos.

I have a project that may (or possiblly may not) come to fruition soon and I need some photos for a it. I've got some photos myself but quite a lot of the ones I've taken are of very poor quality and simply won't fit the bill. This is where I need you help.

However, there is something very important that you need to undertstand if you do decided to send me some of your snaps. It is this: Any photos I use for my project will have to be copyrighted to me. This sounds drastic, but it it the simplest way of doing things. So therefore if you think you might be able to help, then don't send me any photos you may have previously published or don't want to hand over to a complete stranger. It is important that you understand this.

Okay, then what is this project you may ask? It is a book chronichling my journey through a UK PPL and a print publisher has expressed an interest in it.

And these are the places/objects I need a few snaps for, and ideally these would be a few years old.

LBA Airport (ground shots and aerial)
Full Sutton (ground shots and aerial)
Gamston Airport (ground shots and aerial)
Nottingham Airport (ground shots and aerial)
Humberside Airport (ground shots and aerial)
Barton (ground shots and aerial)
Teeside Airport (ground shots and aerial)
Menwith Hill
Eccup Reservoir
Overhead Shefflield/Wakefield, Barnsley/Leeds
BMI Embraer 145
Eastern Airways turboprop
A flexiwing Micolight

So quite a few then! However, even if I only get a few I'll be happy, and it goes without saying that if I ever get to print, then your name will be on the list of thankyous.

Please feel free to PM for more details or more specific details on the kind of shots I want.

Regards

Flock1

Right

Ultra long hauler
2nd Feb 2012, 14:20
I can help you with some flexwing shots………

With an Ecuadorian registration number-->> does it tickle your fancy?

The rest……..sorry, can´t help.

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Feb 2012, 15:02
I have a large photo library, including some of those you're looking for - but no way would I hand over copyright to anybody, not even for money.

What I might, and often do, do, is give somebody the free right to reproduce my images in a particular way. An example is that I did some aerial shots of a local radiotelescope - I handed over the images and a letter saying that they were my copyright, but they had the free right to reproduce them without payment to me, for (list of purposes) so long as they were attributed to me.

I've used images from, amongst others, NASA and Northrop-Grumman for my own work, on the same basis.

Everybody was entirely happy with that, and I can't see why you shouldn't be either.

G

Tupperware Pilot
2nd Feb 2012, 15:58
As a photographer I have to ask why you want the copyright? I don't see why you would need it...?
Like GtH I would not let anyone have the copyright..(but i would sell the copyright), but if you have to ask you...LOL

2 sheds
2nd Feb 2012, 16:13
Flock

What Genghis and Tupperware said! The copyright of any photograph is a fairly basic principle and quite straightforward to indicate on any reproduction of it. Your request comes across as being somewhat demanding.
NB BTW spelling of Teesside if you are using the previous name.

2 s

peterh337
2nd Feb 2012, 16:55
I can't help with any of the above pics, but I have supplied material like that to anybody whatever, for free.

What I did not ever do is assign copyright to the recipient. This happened once, and despite persistent requests I eventually refused the use of the material altogether (on the grounds that it was on my website for ages beforehand and god knows who has used it elsewhere already) at which point the chap (a solicitor) climbed down and just used it as-is :ok:

I guess this chap is writing a book and wants to cover his 6 o'clock. But surely material supplied for use as he wishes will do as well, without a copyright assignment?

I do like the request for Menwith Hill :) I'd guess the best pics would be in the KGB archive.

hc89
2nd Feb 2012, 17:02
I will be taking a pro Photog around surrey/kent area in a heli about a month...

I release free photos under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. Which means you can use the photos for commercial purposes

flybymike
2nd Feb 2012, 17:26
Lots of familiar places in my local Yorkshire flying area there. I even have photos of Menwith when he was a baby nearly thirty years ago and had hardly any balls at all...

Lagentium
2nd Feb 2012, 20:04
I'm due to go from Sherburn to Gamston and back at the weekend, I'm happy to help, dont see much of a problem with it, or am I being slightly naive gents? Probably have a trip to Humberside soon also, along with the extra police fee!! Are you interested in Breighton, Pollington, Pocklington etc? Although they may have more historical value than what you may be planning in your book:ok:

magpienja
2nd Feb 2012, 21:28
Hi Flock I read your last book any very much enjoyed it...I fly a weightshift older type 2 stroke powered...and have some of my a/c taken at Barton as well as many more...quite happy for you to use mine with no strings,

In fact I would be chuffed for them to be in print,

Just ask if they would be any use.

Nick.

Stephen Furner
2nd Feb 2012, 23:29
I have a couple amateurish holiday snaps of Barton taken on a damp blustery day a couple of years ago. Ground shots only I was attending an open day by car. I'm not from the area but had been at a training event in Manchester and went in to have a look on my way home.

City Airport Manchester (Barton) | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1087012691706.2013171.1118091118&type=3&l=76044359a4)

Are any of these of use for your project?

BackPacker
3rd Feb 2012, 07:51
If a PPL holder took a few snaps while flying, and now these pictures are used in a book, with the author, the publisher and maybe even the photographer making money, wouldn't that be "aerial work", in retrospect? And thus, retroactively, make the flight illegal?

When I'm flying and my passengers are taking pictures, I always make sure to tell them their pictures cannot be used commercially.

(In the Netherlands, a secondary issue is that formally you need permission from the MIVD - the military intelligence unit - before even taking a camera into the air. This is because of some cold-war statue that was never revoked. Nobody really cares, but publishing aerial pictures for which you did not get permission could technically cause a lot of trouble.)

172driver
3rd Feb 2012, 09:05
Any photos I use for my project will have to be copyrighted to me

You gotta be joking. :=

Katamarino
3rd Feb 2012, 11:29
Backpacker, my understanding was (in the UK) that photos taken from a PPL-flown aircraft can be used commercially if their taking was incidental to the purpose of the flight. e.g. If I take some friends flying, simply for the fun of it, and one then takes photos and uses them commercially I don't think there's a problem; also assuming that you, the pilot, are not being paid for it!

Flock1
3rd Feb 2012, 13:10
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies everthing. And it seems I've opened a hornet's nest!

It seems I am exceedingly naive when it comes to the rules of copyright and using photos. For that I can only apologise. I had no idea of these other methods of using photos that some of you mention.

Basically, I have written a lengthy story about my quest to become a Private Pilot. I sent it off to a publisher who replied that they are interested. They asked for the text (which included quite a few photos I took whilst doing my PPL - e.g. one is me on final Runway 32 at LBA. Another is me overhead Eccup Reservoir, etc etc.) The publisher replied saying they liked it and then mulled over things for a while. Now they say they are ready to send me a contract and then they'll need my text and photos.

And this is the problem I face. Of the 40 or so photos in the original text (that I took myself) about 3/4 are of such a low resolution that they are unusable.

Now the publisher might be happy with the few that are okay, but I thought I'd try on here to get some more. Foolishly it seems.

So there you are. Hope this makes more sense now. I am not trying to rip people off or attempting to get one over on a professional photographer. I just thought that someone might have an old photo of say, Gamston Contol Tower, and let me have it.

I now realise that this is not even fair to ask...but I still am (only very quietly this time...!)

2Sheds - Thanks for the spelling of Teesside, there really was no excuse for my spelling in the original post.

Flybymike - As an infant I had unnaturally huge testicles!

Lagentium - Any thing you can spare will be most welcome.

Magpienja - Thanks. Any pics would be welcome.

Stephen F - Your photos look great.

Thanks

Flock1

Stephen Furner
3rd Feb 2012, 20:12
Do you have a www site where the photos can be uploaded?

peterh337
3rd Feb 2012, 20:18
Feel free to take any pics of my website - in my profile.

Flock1
5th Feb 2012, 02:56
Hi,

Thanks to the people who have PM'd me. Much appreciated.

As for a website to post photos too, I'm afraid not. It's simply a matter of sending them to my email address which I can give if you PM me.

PS. I desperately need a photo of a C-152 cockpit!

Jan Olieslagers
5th Feb 2012, 06:31
If you are really desperate, you could do worse than to come across to my local airfield, though it might seem far away. But I'll gladly introduce you to the friendly people of the aeroclub; and I have no doubt they'll allow you in their cockpits if you explain the need.
No copyright qualms, either.

peterh337
5th Feb 2012, 07:06
I am not sure that a photo of the typical C152 cockpit is going to promote GA :) :)

Flock1
5th Feb 2012, 09:27
I would nip over the a local airfield but I live in Qatar. I don't think the flight deck of an A320 is going to cut the mustard!

Jan Olieslagers
6th Feb 2012, 20:24
Ah! That explains it all! So Newcastle must be a Qatari suburb, then?