PDA

View Full Version : ATC in Scotland

tomdotcom
30th Jan 2012, 10:41
Did I read correctly some time back that Mode a/c radars were to be discontinued in Scotland on 31 December 2011? All scottish NATS radars are now Mode S????

rickypbrown
30th Jan 2012, 15:10
Don't know about elsewhere, but Edinburgh's getting Mode S functionality. This doesn't mean Mode A and C won't be picked up though! It'll continue to work as before but we will be able to interrogate mode S transponders additional information.

Sweet Potatos
30th Jan 2012, 17:55
Glasgow is still Mode A and C ... mode S will arrive at some point. But the guys didn't know when, thats the last I heard.

Plus, I am no expert, but I thought mode S was just extra information ... so mode A and C secondary radars will still only get the Mode A and C info, not the extra stuff being broadcast from the aircraft transponder.

Not sure If I'm right, but that was my understanding of it.

Someone_Else
4th Feb 2012, 18:11
If I understand it correctly (and I think I do!)

A mode S radar head looks for modes A, C & S. Until recently mode S radars have worked in combination with A/C radar heads, the sites are being replaced with MODE S only radar heads. Less equipment, less to go wrong.

Spitoon
4th Feb 2012, 18:15
Less equipment, less to go wrong.And less redundancy if it does....

Glamdring
4th Feb 2012, 20:29
At Edinburgh we're ditching SSR radar heads altogether and getting Multilateration which includes Mode S, more accurate and more reliable.

Widger
4th Feb 2012, 20:51
Yes on 31 Dec 2011 all Mode a/c radars should have been replaced by Mode S.

extract from Cap 761 here:

The environmental benefits of using Mode S interrogators for both civil and military ATS applications are fully recognised by the NISC. Consequently, under Schedule 5 of the Air Navigation Order (ANO) 2005, the UK CAA has mandated the carriage of Mode S transponders for the majority of aircraft operating in designated airspace1. Furthermore, it is developing policy to increase equipage levels and extend Mode S airspace2. The environmental benefits will only be realised fully with widespread Mode S equipage of ground interrogators and airborne transponders. Therefore, the NISC will no longer issue approvals for ground-based (including maritime) or airborne3 IFF/SSR Mode A/C interrogators after 31 December 2011.

tomdotcom
10th Feb 2012, 15:33
Thats the bit I was looking for. I think the wording that is important is that they will no longer issue approvals for mode a/c radars after 31 December 2011 so only Mode S approvals after that. So I guess it will take some time to phase out mode a/c

Tom