PDA

View Full Version : Bruntingthorpe

thing
29th Jan 2012, 19:02
Has anyone flown into one of the cold war jets taxi run days? I've scoured google but can't find any info of when the next one is.

Whopity
29th Jan 2012, 20:09
Just saw a reference to 6th May

thing
29th Jan 2012, 20:16
Thanks Whopity, that's bank holiday weekend so sounds about right.

Rod1
29th Jan 2012, 20:26
I flew in a couple of years ago for one. Well worth it!

Rod1

thing
29th Jan 2012, 20:34
Looks good I must say, I worked on some of those jets when I was in the mob, in fact I may have worked on some of those actual jets so it would be great to see them under steam again.

LysanderV8
30th Jan 2012, 06:42
We flew in on 29 August 2010. It was superb. Just the sound of the Lightnings making your sternum vibtrate was worth it!

PPR is required and we paid a landing fee of, I think, £12, but no entrance charge for the four occupants.

A great day out!

2high2fastagain
30th Jan 2012, 11:35
Yes, I can highly recommend it. We flew in for the last run at the end of August. I gave Brunty call in the week and phoned in again in the morning to confirm PPR. All very helpful and accommodating with a good briefing over the phone. They wanted us in 30 mins before the first taxi run and asked us to confirm we were happy with the runway before landing. A downwind fly-past was all that was needed. There were about 4 aircraft flying in and we all arrived in a 15 minute period. We were marshalled to an area well clear of the spotters and a kind chap in a minibus shuttled us down to the viewing area. He was waiting for us after the show and we tootled on back to base in good time. It's really worth going along and a joy to fly-in to. Watching the Lightnings lighting up their afterburners really is quite something as Lysander suggests. Also, just being nearby when the Victor or Nimrod get the heavy welly is quite something (mind the dust!). One important tip I have is to wait for a point just after an aircraft has started or just before they finish their taxi run - then make a dash for the bacon and egg bap at the NAAFI. That way you don't have to queue.

A super day out and highly recommended. We shall go back this year if we can.

2H2FA