PDA

View Full Version : TB20 Good as it sounds?

selim
28th Jan 2012, 19:14
I know there are a couple of experienced TB20 owners here who may be able to advise but I think it might be the ideal SEP Euro IFR tourer that I am looking for. I have previously been considering the C182 but there are a couple of low hour TB20's 1997 and 2002 less than 900 hrs for good money for sale in Europe that seem ideal and from what I have researched this is a great plane

Any owner/users got any comments on this a/c? Anything specific to watch out for or gotchas?

stickandrudderman
28th Jan 2012, 19:39
The undercarriage warnings are not loud enough..............:O

140KIAS
28th Jan 2012, 20:08
Really depends what your operating to/from. I used to own a share in a TB9 :bored: but now fly a C182RG and a friend has a TB20.

We are both regular visitors to a few of the Scottish islands with relatively short runways. We have no issues with runway length whereas the TB20 needs to keep a watch on its weight and some strips are out of the question.

I understand the TB cruises slightly faster than the 182 but burns more fuel too. I have also heard that the TB rides the bumps much better making it a good IFR platform.

You've also got a great support network through the TB Users Group/Forum. Lots of active UK and European members and annual Eurpean get togethers. Cant say the same for the Cessna Pilots Association which is pretty US centric.

140KIAS
28th Jan 2012, 20:09
The undercarriage warnings are not loud enough..............http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/embarass.gif

are you speaking from personal experience?

peterh337
28th Jan 2012, 20:57
The TB20 is a great aircraft especially for long distance flying, but I would say that, having owned one since new in 2002 :)

If you offered me a new SR22 with a G1000, I would not swap.

The TB20 takeoff and landing perf charts can be found on this page (http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/). The takeoff roll is about 350m; practically you need 500m tarmac or 700m short smooth dry grass. 1ft long wet grass.... about 1200m :)

I understand the TB cruises slightly faster than the 182 but burns more fuel tooOnly if you have been smoking something marginally legit, or haven't discovered the red knob :) FL100, 140kt TAS on 9.3 USG/hr. The range from top of climb is over 1300nm. Look at some trip writeups on that page; they have the details. At low levels, say 3000ft, I fly at 23" / 2400 rpm / 11.3 USG/hr which gives 138kt IAS. But you can't compare a short field workhorse like a 182 with the TB20; they serve very different mission profiles.

The TB20 is nothing like the TB9 which is more like a PA28-140 in performance - but much more civilised. They are completely different planes.

The TB20 W&B is excellent and up at the very top of usability in that class of aircraft. Mine is 900kg empty, so has a 500kg of payload which with full fuel (remember: 1300nm range, so you can fly Bournemouth to Benbecula, with Bournemouth as your alternate, and won't run out of juice until you are most of the way down to Biarritz) gives you about 270kg passengers and junk.

Only a very careless pilot will land a TB20 gear up. I know it's been done a number of times, but I have already written on this on another thread here.

If you can afford the 2002 GT model, go for that one. Much better in many small details.