PDA

View Full Version : King Air PT6 question

J4Ace
28th Jan 2012, 00:44
From my understanding (which may be misguided) the older PT6s had microscopic holes near the tips of the compressor blades that would melt in the case of an overspeed and decrease the efficiency of the turbine to slow the engine (permanently speaking of course). From what I understand this was for redundancy in case the prop, overspeed, and fuel governors all fail. Do these holes (or the blades themselves) have a particular name?

aerobat77
29th Jan 2012, 19:13
i must say i never heard this. especially when you talk about the compressor stages (and not the turbine ) it sounds strange. further the prop speed has nothing in common with the compressor speed on the pt6.

the official engine documents does not state anything about this so i think you messed something up or i understand your question wrong.

cheers

J4Ace
5th Feb 2012, 02:27
Thanks man, it threw me off.

The person was telling me that in the event of an overspeed (which the governors failed) the blade tips would melt therefore decreasing the efficiency of the engine and slowing it. It made sense but I think you're probably right... someone must have been throwing me a curve on that one.